How does one learn about racing nitro boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Taylor

I've been forced to change my lifestyle due to health reasons. I thought I would get into rc boat racing. People tell me to start in B Mono class. 33" seaducer with a .21 engine. Have been into rc stuff for years but have always been into gas or electric. After some research I find I know nothing about nitro motors. So how does one learn. Books, trial and error. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rick, those are a good boat to run nitro in. Another option is the rtr 18 hydros Aquacraft Duce is good. Horizon has a bigger mono rtr too.

Just wanting to run for fun or getinto racing? You have anyone in your area running boats? You live in Wayne IL. Lot of guys around you to help?

There was a used 21 mono in the for sale. looked ok he had it rtr I think $300

PHL T

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to take what Phil said one step further. The best way is to go to the races and watch. One thing to remember is that WATCHING INCLUDES ASKING QUESTIONS There are a lot of things involved with racing a nitro boat that you just can't learn by reading a book, including a rule book. Be sure to ask if it's alright to hang out and watch if you want to watch one racer and how they do things

Yes, I agree also. The .21 Mono is a very good place to start. Just make sure that if you go to the pond to watch the guys, make sure your picking out a particular class/hull/style that your interested in(i.e. .21 mono). Boats can cost alot of money - especially with more experience. I've seen far too many people that were just starting out - getting in too deep and they just got frustrated and ended up not liking the particular hull they chose. They ended up quiting as a result. Start slow, choose wisely and this Hobbie can be very rewarding for many years to come. :)

Rick, those are a good boat to run nitro in. Another option is the rtr 18 hydros Aquacraft Duce is good. Horizon has a bigger mono rtr too.

Just wanting to run for fun or getinto racing? You have anyone in your area running boats? You live in Wayne IL. Lot of guys around you to help?

PHL T
Yea, here's that boat for sale now..

Next for sale is my partners 21 mono, this is an original speedmaster hull built by Chris Fabro / boat set up with saddle tanks/ comes with all Speedmaster hardware/comes with NR 21 with OS 20G caeb and OS 3rd channel needle /has all Hitec servos minis for 3rd channel and throttle 225 BB for rudder/ comes with Hitec Ranger 3 channel radio with nicads/ has shaft with 440/3 prop/ Comes with cooper quiet pipe/ water proof on/off switch/ here are the extras- 440/3 prop 5/16 plug wrench Nistarter w/charger octura collet hand pump for fuel bottle/extra Cooper pipe/ boat does have some racing scars been running since 2004/ asking 400.00 with S&H let me know Jerry Sorry no PM's and no Paypal

He's now asking $300.00 and will split the shipping.

I've been forced to change my lifestyle due to health reasons. I thought I would get into rc boat racing. People tell me to start in B Mono class. 33" seaducer with a .21 engine. Have been into rc stuff for years but have always been into gas or electric. After some research I find I know nothing about nitro motors. So how does one learn. Books, trial and error. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Check out John Finch's book "Radio Control Powerboat Racing" it's a little dated but there is some great basic info.

Al Hobbs has a book on nitro motors "Basics of Model Marine Engines".

As a rookie myself I still refer to them and as previously said going to a race, watching, and asking lots of questions.

When you join the club, hang out until someone lets you pit for them and you'll learn a lot about tuning. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

PHL T
I suggested the deuce but was told not many of them run in this area. Was thinking about finding one minus engine and dropping in a .21 and run sport 20.

I have a 40" Prather set up for a .81. From what I can tell that would put me in a D mono class.Haven't found anyone real close. The closest is Tom and his Summer Thunder club. I want to do both. Have fun and race respectably.

The first thing you should do is try to find a club in you area.

Ask a lot of questions and try to find out what classes are popular , every area is different .

This will help you to avoid building something that you won't be able to race , there are so many classes now that this is a real problem for people trying to get into the hobby.

Good luck and have fun.

Tim K

Try a 40 mono best bang for the buck and the engines are not as finicky. It will cost more up front but you will enjoy it longer with out felling the need to go bigger.

The Seaducer is a good boat to run. The set up is spelled out for you to get started and is easy to handle. Go with a CMB RS45 eng. Parts are readily available. The P/S are not that expensive. You will wear one out learning the needle I know I have bin there.

Then just go racing. the only way to learn is do it.

If you have any specific Questions just post it. The people on here are very willing to help. Thats how I learned it. Never ran a nitro boat till two years ago and raced this year for the fist time. This is the best thing I ever did. Way to much fun should be illegal. It is worse than CRACK.

David

Try a 40 mono best bang for the buck and the engines are not as finicky. It will cost more up front but you will enjoy it longer with out felling the need to go bigger.

The Seaducer is a good boat to run. The set up is spelled out for you to get started and is easy to handle. Go with a CMB RS45 eng. Parts are readily available. The P/S are not that expensive. You will wear one out learning the needle I know I have bin there.

If you have any specific Questions just post it. The people on here are very willing to help. Thats how I learned it. Never ran a nitro boat till two years ago and raced this year for the fist time. This is the best thing I ever did. Way to much fun should be illegal. It is worse than CRACK.

David
What class you run that in then? Classes seem pretty limited around here. In mono they seem to run B D E/F

David
What class you run that in then? Classes seem pretty limited around here. In mono they seem to run B D E/F
IMPBA it is D NAMBA it is B

Go to the web sights for IMPBA and NAMBA find the local Districts and check out the race results. This will tell you how active the classes are in the area you live in. It will also help you see where the races are and what clubs are around.

Here in Florida there are 5 clubs with in 1 1/2 hours of my home to race at. There are 11 races a year, one a month with in 3 hours. Love living in Florida RC boat heaven.

It is hard to run the boat and learn with out a club and a retrieve boat. It also helps with the learning curve with help from some one that knows nitro. It takes practice to learn the needle and lots of self control.

David

PHL T
I suggested the deuce but was told not many of them run in this area. Was thinking about finding one minus engine and dropping in a .21 and run sport 20.

I have a 40" Prather set up for a .81. From what I can tell that would put me in a D mono class.Haven't found anyone real close. The closest is Tom and his Summer Thunder club. I want to do both. Have fun and race respectably.
Rick, having raced RTR,s and Sport 21 hydros, i gotta tell ya that you would probably be better off racing one or the other..they are both really fun classes but sticking a 21 motor into an RTR hull can get involved and there is the possibility of whether the RTR hull is legal or not to run in the Sport 21 hydro class, not to mention if the RTR hull will even handle with a .21 motor....RTR is a GREAT entry level class, as is 20 Mono....and i suppose 40 Mono would be a decent class to run in also....going to a race or even a test session and asking lots of questions is an absolute MUST!! I garuntee you the people there will do whatever they can to help you out.....THEY WANT YOU THERE TO BE PART OF THE INSANITY! :D If you really like sport 21 hydros, Phil Thomas makes a NICE one! I run a Whiplash and its also a great boat, but its a wood kit that you build....very nice boat if you want to build a boat! :)

OK, I have a 40" Prather DV. As a beginner what engine and what class would this be good for? Right now it doesn't have an engine but is set up for a .81. I;m getting confused cause I see small hulls with big engine and big boats with small engines.

<br />OK, I have a 40" Prather DV. As a beginner what engine and what class would this be good for? Right now it doesn't have an engine but is set up for a .81. I;m getting confused cause I see small hulls with big engine and big boats with small engines.<br />
<br /><br /><br />
I would run a .67 in that hull for C - Mono in Namba and E - Mono in IMPBA This size engine is easy to tune and deal with and has good speed and power . Lots of good used .67 engines around . Please post pics of your boat and hardware . Welcome to Model Boating .

If you are just going to fool around, then get what you want. If you want to race eventually, then some other things should be taken into consideration.

Lots of good advice here. I would parrot the response of checking with your local clubs to see what is popular. .21 mono normally makes its class around here. But if you only have a couple in your area, and someone drops out of the hobby, then you have a boat that never makes class. So...check with the local clubs. A lot of folks around here are switching to gas. Too much wind for small nitro boats. This might also be a good reason to look at the .45 mono, if it makes class near you. It will be able to handle a little bit rougher water.

I got back into the hobby during the hay day of RTR around here. It has died off a lot, but normally still makes class (we normally have a stock RTR class, and a mod RTR class). Might be a good place to learn about nitro motors, because if you burn one up, it only costs about $100 to get a new one.

On a side note, I find that folks on forums are more willing to tell you that you are wrong, then they are to give advice in the first place (not saying everyone, just a general comment). So if you have an idea of how you are thinking of doing something, if you share that idea, it seems to me, you are more likely to get inputs.

If you are not going to run with a club, make sure you have recovery set up. Too many folks make bad decisions because they had not planned on their boat dying out in the middle of a lake/pond. Seems like every year someone dies trying to get their boat back. I am not one to say don't swim for a boat. I grew up swimming in ponds and lakes. Just saying you should be prepared for the worse case scenario. I will say to take a life jacket with you if you don't have a retrieval boat (and if you do, of course). That $10 life jacket can save your life.

Welcome aboard,

Sean

I kinda bypassed some of the replies but know a tiny bit about the racing scene in Illinois. One thing that you'll find out not only around there but just about anywhere you can race a .21 anything. A 3.5 outboard tunnel is one of the easiest to build and set up yet very competitive.

For learning the ins and outs of racing, the rulebook will only tell you so much. your best bet is to attend a district race to watch and talk to the racers. We're generally a very friendly bunch so don't be afraid to talk to any of us.

One place to watch races in action is over on www.metimeliverc.com . It's worth the cost of membership.

I think that all of these post are Right On, But one other thing that I don't think that was touch on was a good Mentor to guide you along no matter what type of boat you get or have..Just my thought...

I kinda bypassed some of the replies but know a tiny bit about the racing scene in Illinois. One thing that you'll find out not only around there but just about anywhere you can race a .21 anything. A 3.5 outboard tunnel is one of the easiest to build and set up yet very competitive.

For learning the ins and outs of racing, the rulebook will only tell you so much. your best bet is to attend a district race to watch and talk to the racers. We're generally a very friendly bunch so don't be afraid to talk to any of us.

One place to watch races in action is over on www.metimeliverc.com . It's worth the cost of membership.
Hey Ron, How ya doin? Heard about your little mishap. Been there, done that myself. Just spent all summer in the St. Joseph hospital trying to keep me alive and my leg atached. Was actually looking into your club since I spend most of the summer on my boat in St. Joe. Thanks for the insight on tunnels. What are good ones, Dumas, Aquacraft.

Latest posts

Back