How Do I boost 20% to 50% nitro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHedOff

I have a couple gallons of 20% Wildcat and want to boost it to 50-60%.... for the .21 rigger I bought. How much nitro do I need to add to 1 gal.... and where can I buy the nitro? Thanks in advance.

I have a couple gallons of 20% Wildcat and want to boost it to 50-60%.... for the .21 rigger I bought. How much nitro do I need to add to 1 gal.... and where can I buy the nitro? Thanks in advance.
You not only need to add 100% nitro, but also some oil. Expect to pay about $100/gal for the nitro, $30~40/gal for good oil.

OK lets say the oil content is 20%. You have .2 gallon of oil, .2 gallon of nitro, .6 gallon of methanol all equalling to 1 gallon. So the ratio for 60% would be .2 gallon of oil, .6 gallon of nitro, .2 gallon of methanol equalling to 1 gallon. Methanol is your biggest volume so you will have to build off of that. You will have to triple your batch to make up for all the methanol. You will need 1.8 gallon of nitro - the .2 gallon you have for a total of 1.6 gallon of nitro. You will need .6 gallon of oil - the .2 gallon you have for a total of .4 gallon of oil. So now that I have you all confused, here is what you need.

Original batch of fuel + 1.6 gallon of nitro and .4 gallon of oil. Now remember that is only if you wnat a 20% oil mix.

Mike

PS save your self some aggrivation and go buy some 60% from the LHS. If your not set up to mix fuel you will have nitro and oil laying around that you can not use.

Thanks for the replies Jon & Matt ( I DID download Marty's fuel chart & spent an hr with it.... and still didnt understand :p - I kept coming up with a negative value for Methanol when trying to make 20% Nitro/20%Oil/60% Methanol into 60/20/20 :huh: - how ya subtract methanol?? :huh: No need for reply on that BTW.

And after looking at buying nitro, I came to the same conclusion as you suggest Matt - just go buy the premixed stuff!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks for the replies Jon & Matt ( I DID download Marty's fuel chart & spent an hr with it.... and still didnt understand :p - I kept coming up with a negative value for Methanol when trying to make 20% Nitro/20%Oil/60% Methanol into 60/20/20 :huh: - how ya subtract methanol?? :huh: No need for reply on that BTW.
And after looking at buying nitro, I came to the same conclusion as you suggest Matt - just go buy the premixed stuff!!!!!! :lol:

Hub hobby in Little Canada has a bunch of 60%. But they want like $56.00 a gallon.

Mark

Hub hobby in Little Canada has a bunch of 60%. But they want like $56.00 a gallon.

Mark

I was just there @3 weeks ago picking up some 1/8" ply (ARG - it's $20 in gas per trip).... didnt think about buying the fuel then.... 'cause I didnt know THEN that I would just HAVE to buy Rodney's .21 and Allan Yuen's rigger. :p So to save the gas$$ I was hoping I'd just be able to add a few "x" oz's nitro and a small "x" amount of castor oil and be able to go. Oh well. Just called them and it is in stock and you were right on about the price.

I've been looking to buy some nitro myself but I am not familiar with any suppliers. Any help?

Travis

TCHedOff

You come up with a negative number because you already have that much methanol in your original 1 gallon. That is why you have to take the largest amount (which was methanol) and match that to the new formula. You would not have to add as much if you were going from 50 to 60. That 20 to 60 makes it better to just buy it from the LHS.

Mike

BTW

The Matthew Hughes login is the only thing I can get my work computer to use. I normally use my Mike Hughes login.

Back