Houston

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

I totally agree. That's why I just had a hard time believing that we were the sole reason for losing the site. Come to find out, the owner had the ATF out there last week at the request of some of the neighbors complaints of gun fire late at night. If you really break it down, the boats are not nearly as much of a constant as the bar itself. Since becoming a member, there have only been a handful of times where I've seen maybe 10 guys there on a Sunday at one time, and even then you would only have at the most 4 boats running at once. As far as his business goes, now with the ATF involved he has much bigger problems to deal with. That's not going away any time soon, and it won't take too many more times of having to respond to calls that he gets his license to serve alcohol revoked. When that happens, no more bar. Honestly, the bar was something I never really was that comfortable with anyway. What would really be great is if he would sell the property and be able to do away with the bar and make it to hold RV's and trailers. Just a pipe dream though.

Gary,

The Hawg Stop was one quantum improvement over the previous site. It was refreshing to have a property owner that wanted the boater there, and to actually have spectators that were not immediately approached on ATV to pay a parking fee before they could watch the Model Boats run. I'm sure few spectators stayed if they had to pay any fee.

It appears to me that most, long term sites are on State or County Park grounds. I lived in Southern Califoria 1987 - 1996. Three sites were in public parks, i.e. San Diego Model Yacht Basin, Legg Lake, and Prado Dam were the sites raced by Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association - - they are still in use. In South Florida, two of the better sites are Markham Park in Ft. Lauderdale, and Emilia Earheart Park in Miami - - most other sites in Floida have been quite Fluid - no pun intended.

An old Friend of mine always said: Where ever boaters race - Parking, will become an issue. Nothing like having the cars, trucks, trailers, RVs, and tents of a hundred boaters descend on a lake/pond area. His answer was to find a site way the heck out in the Boon docks where nobody else wanted to be.

It would be nice to have a site that is available to the youngsters of our communities. I can think of a lot worse things for a young man or woman to do than play with model boats. Maybe having the site behind a Biker Bar wasn't conducive to this option.

Ultimately, LSMBC will find a lake/pond to cater to the desires of the Club, and those that come to Houston area to race with us. I certainly Hope so. Long Live Modelers of all persuasions !!! CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

This is really bad news!!! One of the best places I`ve been to, and really looked forward to visit next year. Well, I guess you`ll find another good place to race. Anyway, I hope to be back next year, and I hope Kjell and Tore will join me.

Regarding to noiselimit, yes we have to meet 80 db in europe. That`s why you couldn`t hear my boats when running together with the american boats. In 2006 we hosted the World Championship in Norway, and there was some warnings to the 35 cc drivers, they are strugeling to keep noise below 80db. But in the future we HAVE to keep the noise below 80 db or we will be disqualyfied because of too loud pipes.

Actually I think it is ok to keep the noise as low as possible. It is still possible to go fast....

That really is bad news. Great site and good, cold beer but it seems to be following a common path where model boat ponds are concerned.

So Joern, where do you guys get these quite pipes from in Europe?

It seems that the 'traditional' pipe manufacturers are 'dragging their heels' when it comes to developing their products to meet the standards set by these european manufaturers. We have the same noise problems in Australia and we too are looking for pipes that make boat racing more friendly to the community.

Any info or web address would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Bill Annabel.

Prestwich pipes made by Dave Marles are very good pipes, and they are really silent. http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/

I`m also very satisfied with the stock VMB pipes, specially the 91 RS pipe are very good, and extremely silent. You can see some of the CMB parts on my website www.cmbnorge.no

In Houston I used a Prestwich pipe on my 90 hydro and a CMB EVO2 pipe on my 45 hydro. On my 45 offshoreboat I forgot my pipe at home so I had to borrow a MAC pipe, which was NOT silent :rolleyes:

Don`t hesitate to e-mail me if I can help you out with anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Joern, I will get onto it.

How did you enjoy your time with the 'good ol boys'? I have raced with them 3 times and they are the nicest, most helpful bunch of blokes you could ever meet.

Tell me, are you the 'international visitor' that I hear now has an intimate relationship with Ernie?

Start saving now as we are having a big 'World Challenge' in Sydney next January that we will be inviting you all to come to and enjoy some model boating in Australia. More on that later.

Thanks once again.

Regards.

Bill Annabel.

Sorry Joern, I forgot to ask - what pipe are you all running on your CMB HR 45' in Europe?

Wild Bill.

Yup, unfortunately I did hit him really hard in the left corner, and that was not fun at all. Shame on me!

I offered him to cover his damage, but he only accepted my apology. As you mentioned they are all really nice and helpful people. No doubt about that!!

On 45 HR I recomend two pipes, prestwich CS20 and CMB EVO2

You have to run the CMB pipe very long, almost with full header length.

Thanks for the info and suggestions Joern.

I will be in Houston for a week from the 19th. June, staying with my old mate Louie Baumann. I hope I get a chance to catch-up with some of the guys and share a 'shandy' or two. It's also time for the Annual General Meeting of the US chapter of Wide Boy Racing.

They tell me they are running all over town looking for a new site and should have some good news in a week or so.

Don't beat yourself up over your accident. Unfortunately, it's somthing that happens to everyone at some point in our sport.

Once again, many thanks.

Wild Bill.

I just read some news at jim`s rc dock, it looks like they allready have found a new pond right outside I 45 north of Houston, side by side of a motocross raceway. If this is true it must be pretty close to christmas eve ;-)

Back