Hero Worship......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Thought it might be interesting to talk about the people that you have met in your lifetime that had a lasting effect on you. For me it goes as follows:

Two come to mind right away,

JFK was a one and only type of man, the things he did for his crew in PT-109 was just above and beyond in my book, and then went on to be president and gave his life trying to help americans. Never got to meet him but wanted to just shake his hand and say "Job well done"

Chuck Yeager is another one, he really needs no intro but I was at a airshow in Salinas California back in 76 and there was a P-51 D on static, and one guy was just standing there staring at it, motionless, I walked up to him and said "Now thats a fast one" he turned and looked at me and I was awe struck, his eyes were the wildest thing, you could tell he had years of combat experience and age had taken its toll. He said to me son let me tell ya a little about this bird, we did a pre flight and went over general specs and flight charateristics. Seems like a minute but it was over a hour, I looked at my watch and said I had to go and he shook my hand and said "Pleasure meeting ya son, the names Yeager, but my friends call me Chuck" As I was walking to the car I was thinking ,"That name sound's familar" And then it hit me, the sound barrier, HOLY SMOKE!!!!

Gene ;D

I don't know if I'd call it Hero Worship, but being a fan of Drag Racing, I used to go to the nearby strip, US-131 Dragway when the Biggies in the sport used to come here. My favorite racer was Don "Big Daddy" Garlits. They held a big race there with TV coverage and he was just coming out of the production trailer and I started talking to him. He took the time and talked to me like he had known me for years. Very nice person. He is was an innovator in the sport, trying different things and making stuff work that nobody else could.

The closest that I got to a Kennedy was when Bobby came to town and his plane was leaving after a campaign stop here. The next night he was asassinated.

I'm a mason and I did a job two years ago for the Home Time TV show. It was neat working with Dean Johnson and his crew. It was TV shows like his that started my interest in construction years ago. He isn't a hero, but it was exciting to meet him.

Good ones guy's,

I got to talk with John Force once fer a minute between runs, it was when every run he was blowin a engine and catchin fire!!!!!

I watch Home Time too, and New Yankee workshop with Norm Abram, never met any of those guys though,

Gene ;D

You gotta love John Force! All of those Championships and a down-to-Earth guy. His highlight of a run is when they interview him afterwards! ****, that dude is funny! I haven't seen him since he hit the big time but remember seeing the old Brute Force F/C run.

We have local heroes, Derek Jeter of the NY Yankees, Kevin VanDam, multiple BASS Angler of the year, the late Dave thomas of Wendy's fame who discovered the square Hamburger at a small Diner here in town, WMU alumni Tim "The Tool Man" Allen who still has family here and surpisingly more from this city.

As America plays cop to the world right now it makes me think of my American hero: Ronald Reagan. It only saddens me that he is not of sound mine to play "Consigliere" to GWB JR right now. He was a real stand up guy who never would let the military be torn down and downsized like "look the other way" Clinton did!

my son and i met Bill Dance at a fishing show and I got his picture with my son sitting on his lap!

fishing is my number 2 fun thing to do.

kinda different but.....

i was flippin' channels on the tube when i hit an early season football game, i think it was Saints-Falcons- Atlanta's possesion and i noticed the QB was Mike Vick who was really popular here in VA when he played for VA Tech in college...the offensive line sucked so the D broke through in about three seconds, all of a sudden Mike takes off.....the rest is history, i'm a diehard Dirty Bird fan now. never met Vick personally but hopefully i will sometime.

Joe

prase the lord for that tom ;D ;D

i it wont for fishin or huntin i dont know what i would do ???

lol

matt

There haven't been too many postings in here so far, but I got to thinking more about this tonight at work.

If I did have to pick one Hero in my life it would bwe my Father. He passed away almost 6 years ago from Cancer that started at his colon and worked it's way up to his stomache. He was the Father of 6 kids (I'm the oldest), supporting us at a job where he did everything that was needed of him, making chemicals for the Paper Industry to driving the Semi hauling it to doing maintenance work on the building. After his job, he would come home to work on anything, from a watch to an 18-wheeler to help support the Family. He didn't get rich doing it, he would do the work cheaply. People knew that they could count on him for help no matter what time it was. I learned a lot from him on how to make do with what I have and how to fix about anything, sharing what I have with others and helping my friends and neighbors. So much has rubbed off not knowing it until later. I have learned from my Father's mistakes making me better for it. I hope to pass this along to my son so that he can learn from the positives and not to make the same mistakes for his children that I have with him. Today's kids should not have to have sports stars, musicians, movie stars or other people to influence their lives, we as parents ought to be the ones! Be a Hero to your Children!

My hero since I was about 11 years old was the Brazillian Formula One race car driver, Ayrton Senna. I never met him, but did attend a few of his races in Australia and saw his last race win in Adelaide in '93. And I saw him die live on TV at Imola in '94. :'(

He was and still is an inspiration to me.

Ian.

Ian its wild you would bring up formula one, In my younger days one of my heros drove too,

One for Ian,

Ayrton Senna da Silva

March 21st 1960- May 1st 1994

"Truely one of the best"

Gene,

I didn't see much of Niki's career (I only got full season coverage of F1 in 1988) but did see him race in the first Australian Grand Prix, I think it was '85? He was racing for McLaren and was leading the race before he ran out of brakes, as did many cars...

I did read his autobiography, it was very interesting!!

Pic is from Senna's last win in '93 in Adelaide. One of his best races considering the Williams cars he beat were faster all year. 8)

Ian.

Senna after winning in his home race in Brazil in '91. It was his first win at home, and being very patriotic it was very emotional for him. By the end of the race he only had 6th gear working!

Ian.

A little info on Niki:

He was VERY hard on gearboxes and brakes fer sure!!!

Returned to the track after he came out of his coma injures healed and continued racing. Hard to find a pic with his helment off as the right side of his face was so badly burned.

Latest posts

Back