Here’s what my “thunderboat” looks like now

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also started playing around with the cowling hold down system. I have the dowel pin in the front of the cowling, but I want to use magnets in the rear to secure it. It’s usually a little bit of a trick to get magnets positioned just right, but if you are patient, it makes the cowling really easy to take on and off. More thought is needed on this puzzle.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I am also wondering if anyone has a source for air scoops. I need to put some relief holes in my cowling, but I would prefer to have air scoops pointing both frontward and backward for air flow. If you make them, how do you do it?

I am also wondering if anyone has a source for air scoops. I need to put some relief holes in my cowling, but I would prefer to have air scoops pointing both frontward and backward for air flow. If you make them, how do you do it?
Plastic picnic spoons make perfect air scoops.

Attachments

• 20220509_170346.jpg
    20220509_170346.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220509_170333.jpg
    20220509_170333.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220509_170317.jpg
    20220509_170317.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 1
Ok, good ideas here. I started searching the house for plastic spoons, as I am waiting on a new radio box and some mounting screws for servo mounts plus a rudder servo.
I found three different types of plastic spoons, and started cutting them up. I started fitting them on the boat, and it looks like they might work ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2877.jpeg
    IMG_2877.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Ok, good ideas here. I started searching the house for plastic spoons, as I am waiting on a new radio box and some mounting screws for servo mounts plus a rudder servo.
I found three different types of plastic spoons, and started cutting them up. I started fitting them on the boat, and it looks like they might work ok.
Once the holes are cut & there glued in place. I normally put a strip of light 2oz cloth & epoxy on the under/inside to secure them to the cowl

I also started playing around with the cowling hold down system. I have the dowel pin in the front of the cowling, but I want to use magnets in the rear to secure it. It’s usually a little bit of a trick to get magnets positioned just right, but if you are patient, it makes the cowling really easy to take on and off. More thought is needed on this puzzle.
This is one of those things that tends to take me extra time during the building process. I use magnets and like them. The pulling force is simply amazing. Their weak point, if there is one, is side to side motion. I’ve had a cowl or two that I had to stop from being able to move side to side or front to back.

Great idea!

This is one of those things that tends to take me extra time during the building process. I use magnets and like them. The pulling force is simply amazing. Their weak point, if there is one, is side to side motion. I’ve had a cowl or two that I had to stop from being able to move side to side or front to back.
Interesting that you bring up their weak point, the side to side action. Zipp kits has solved this issue on the missile by putting a partial bulkhead on the underside of the cowling on both front and back. When you combine those two pieces with the front dowel pin, there is really no side to side or back to front movement of the cowling. The magnets should work for my boat if I can figure out a system to hold the rear tightly, but not so tight that I have to be Man Mountain to pull them off. I have a few airplanes that have canopies held on by magnets, and it sure is a great feeling to get a system put together where the canopy “snaps” on with magnets. The sound is cool to me…..(doesn’t take much to fascinate the simple mind…..)
Ray - can you tell me if you are taking applications to be on the Old Farts racing team? What are the qualifications?
Rick - good idea on the fiberglass cloth reinforcement. Thanks.

Interesting that you bring up their weak point, the side to side action. Zipp kits has solved this issue on the missile by putting a partial bulkhead on the underside of the cowling on both front and back. When you combine those two pieces with the front dowel pin, there is really no side to side or back to front movement of the cowling. The magnets should work for my boat if I can figure out a system to hold the rear tightly, but not so tight that I have to be Man Mountain to pull them off. I have a few airplanes that have canopies held on by magnets, and it sure is a great feeling to get a system put together where the canopy “snaps” on with magnets. The sound is cool to me…..(doesn’t take much to fascinate the simple mind…..)
Ray - can you tell me if you are taking applications to be on the Old Farts racing team? What are the qualifications?
Rick - good idea on the fiberglass cloth reinforcement. Thanks.
Yeah I like the simplicity of them too. Sounds like your cowl will stay on just fine. Let me see if I can dig up a few pics of my past installs. Oh hey, on another subject, heat. The vents are a good way to allow heat to escape from your engine compartment. But make sure that all of your water passages are at least 1/8. If you take out the water nipples from the water jacket of a stock Zenoah for instance, you can’t slide an 1/8 drill bit through there. The same may go for your rudder , etc… I wound up going to Harbor Freight and buying an extended 1/8 drill bit and drilled out anything in the system that wasn’t 1/8”. On the water fittings for the motor, I held them in a pair of Vice Grips lengthwise and carefully ran the bit through. Use large diameter silicone water line too. I use some large black stuff I got from Gizmo Motors. I burnt up a brand new Zenoah because of this and it’ll never happen again.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1/8 water supply. The water lines that I got with my kit are plenty big, but I really haven’t looked at any other components yet.
I just got my big rudder servo today and it won’t fit in the rudder servo mount that came with my kit. Maybe I should buy a smaller one. I got a Hi tec 845 wp, and it is huge! Should I get something smaller?

What servo does everyone use to steer these Zipp kits boats? It would be nice if it would fit into the servo mount that comes with the kit.
They make hi torque servos that are standard size. The Savox 1210 SG waterproof servo gives you all you need and more. But they will run you 100.00. Good servos. I’ve never had one fail. The Pro Modeler DL270DLHV is one I’ve recently installed in my Backlash Sport Hydro. The features seem to exceed what others offer. I’ve only put it to the test once but performed flawlessly. The specs would indicate waterproof or highly water resistant , but I haven’t dropped it in a glass off water yet. Time will tell on durability, but I think it may be a good alternative to the higher. At half the cost I thought it was worth a try after researching a bit.

Update…….I am going to try the 25 kg servo that I already had for the rudder. I got the hardware today to mount the servo stands, so that was first. Then I started on the control rod for the rudder……got one end done, and the epoxy is setting now. I also received my new radio box, so I have that positioned in the hull to check all of the servo wire lengths, etc. the box came with a tinted top, where I thought it was going to be clear. I kinda like the tint, so I guess I’ll keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
  • IMG_2879.jpeg
    IMG_2879.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
More work today on hardware installation and radio setup. Having a devil of a time getting the steering servo and radio box and throttle servo in a nice place. When I first looked at the rudder connection, I didn’t like it. But if everyone else is using it, it must be ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
  • IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
  • IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I lot of testing with the radio box positioning. The lid is a hinged lid, and I had to make sure that I had clearance both on the sides and back to make sure the lid would open. Then I had to make sure that the lid would fully open, and be able to rest in that position without interfering with the rudder control rod. Then I pre-fit the tuned pipe, and I got concerned about how close the rudder servo was to the pipe. I have flipped the rudder servo back and forth a few times, and I have settled on the positioning in post 75. That positioning gave the straightest shot back to the rudder horn. The servo case is about 3/4 inch away from the pipe. I may have to put a heat deflector in between the two if I find that the servo case gets too hot.
I also mounted the rudder assembly and the prop strut so I could get an idea of the rudder control horn position. Had quite a bit of work to do on the pivot pin and control horn block to get them to fit nicely.
Today I feel like working on the cowling. And the cowling magnet hold downs. And I need to order the engine.

I lot of testing with the radio box positioning. The lid is a hinged lid, and I had to make sure that I had clearance both on the sides and back to make sure the lid would open. Then I had to make sure that the lid would fully open, and be able to rest in that position without interfering with the rudder control rod. Then I pre-fit the tuned pipe, and I got concerned about how close the rudder servo was to the pipe. I have flipped the rudder servo back and forth a few times, and I have settled on the positioning in post 75. That positioning gave the straightest shot back to the rudder horn. The servo case is about 3/4 inch away from the pipe. I may have to put a heat deflector in between the two if I find that the servo case gets too hot.
I also mounted the rudder assembly and the prop strut so I could get an idea of the rudder control horn position. Had quite a bit of work to do on the pivot pin and control horn block to get them to fit nicely.
Today I feel like working on the cowling. And the cowling magnet hold downs. And I need to order the engine.
The pipe does get hot. Just make sure to make sure that the heat can escape. I think that boat has vents cut in the side which would help. You can maybe put some vents in the cowl as well. As far as the servo proximity, all you can do is try it. If it starts melting the plastic on the case, then you’ll know it might be a little close. If it doesn’t then you are probably fine. You could always move that servo back toward the rear. You would likely need to add a servo extension but the pushrod would be much shorter.

Yup, complete agreement here. I put that steering servo all over the place, but I hate to get it too far back cuz I don’t want to add weight to the front if I can avoid it. I could make the radio box smaller, but this was the smallest one I could find with the hinged top. The hinged top eliminates the need for an on/off switch. So a smaller radio box means screws for the lid, or tape, and an on/off switch which I would prefer not to have.
I cleaned up the shop a little today and took a glamour shot……

Attachments

• IMG_2889.jpeg
    IMG_2889.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Added some additional flotation up front. Used some spackling compound on the edges of my cowling. Glued the back end of the rudder control rod together but it may change if I come up with a different radio layout. Put some magnets on the back of the cowling with some on the underside of the cowling as mates. Now I just need to figure out some way of attaching the ones to the boat and matching them up to some fixed to the cowling, with both of them being on the underside of the cowling……sure glad I didn’t glue the decks on already. This stuff is much easier to do without the decks on.

Added some additional flotation up front. Used some spackling compound on the edges of my cowling. Glued the back end of the rudder control rod together but it may change if I come up with a different radio layout. Put some magnets on the back of the cowling with some on the underside of the cowling as mates. Now I just need to figure out some way of attaching the ones to the boat and matching them up to some fixed to the cowling, with both of them being on the underside of the cowling……sure glad I didn’t glue the decks on already. This stuff is much easier to do without the decks on.
Overall weight and CG are important when building a boat but try not to overthink them. Have I in the past? Yes, guilty, but I don’t worry about them like I used to. Build your boat as light as you can without sacrificing strength and durability. As long as you are not puddling epoxy all over the boat and/or applying 30 coats of paint, you should come in around where it was designed to be. Don’t get me wrong, saving weight is good, a lighter boat goes faster normally.

So with the servo, I would not sweat moving it back in the boat if you need to. That amount of weight should not kill your CG on a gas boat.

Attached are some pics of how I did my front cowl decking on one of my Lauterbachs and also a couple of how I did my Backlash sport hydro. Those two might be of more interest since you are using a dowel or a lip up front and just need it to hold down in the back. In either case I used magnets. If you go with how I did my Backlash, make sure that you glass in the piece that attaches to the cowl. Hope this helps.
IMG_7891.jpegIMG_7892.jpegIMG_7893.jpegIMG_7894.jpegIMG_7895.jpegIMG_7896.jpegIMG_7897.jpegIMG_7898.jpegIMG_6254.jpegIMG_6258.jpeg

Back