Heat treating props.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mamaril

I know this has been brought up in the past but I couldn't find much about it when I did a search. What kind of temps, length of bake and quenching are people using. I have heat treated all sorts of steel alloys but have never tried BeCu. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Jim

Heres how I was taught. Heat the prop with a torch until its all an even dull red shade in a dark room (not a super bright red). Quench in ice water, bake at 650 for 6 hours I dont have a ceramic kiln but I do have a natural gas barbeque in my garage. I use a couple of my wifes old baking dishs put the props in one use the scond as a lid then set that on the grill, turn all 3 burners on high and let it sit for 6 hours, then turn off and let cool. Probably not perfect buty it does seem to work , but a kiln would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been brought up in the past but I couldn't find much about it when I did a search. What kind of temps, length of bake and quenching are people using. I have heat treated all sorts of steel alloys but have never tried BeCu. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Jim
It is impossible to properly precipitation heat treat beryllium copper alloys without the use of a heat treatting oven that can maintain +-5 deg for a period of 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You need to also know what type of beryllium copper was used to cast the propeller. All propellers that are going to be heat treated should be carefully annealed before heat treating. This includes beryllium copper propellers that are used in the as cast condition. Properly heat treated beryllium copper casting alloys will have a tensile strength approching 180,000 psi at 45 Rc. After proper heat treating they cannot be bent without breaking & this includes very thin sections!

Jim Allen

I tried the torch oven method and it did not hold up. The one that I had done by Norm is still alive.

Then again the props are a very radical cut.

David

I tried the torch oven method and it did not hold up. The one that I had done by Norm is still alive.

Then again the props are a very radical cut.

David

Norm Doerr is set up to heat treat props. Very inexpensive... A lot of the twin guys heat treat their props because they bend with all that power. I heat treat all my best props, have for many years. Keeps a sharp edge and won't distort.

http://hobbyheattreating.com

The key to this entire excercise is Marty purchasing a digital controller for our kiln. We can program ramp up, soak and cool down temps times and cycles in numerous segments. No margin for error once you start a program. After years of playing with the thing we have managed to narrow down the best cycles to anneal and harden both Octura and ABC prop formulations. Before this I was using a household oven, torch and etc with sporadic results.

Marty and Norm have heattreated all my props, they have held up Perfectly for over one year of heavy heat racing..several years back before i even knew

this option was available i would put a fresh set of props on the Twin and after 1 race weekend i lost 20 to 30% of pitch..with the 60 rigger i lost about 10 to 15% pitch..

the smaller riggers and monos dont seem to be to much affected..

The Heat Treat area of the shop is up and running. PERFECT time of year to fire the Heat Treat Furnace. We are ready for production.

Back