Heat Racing Speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTR

Hi Guy's,

I hear lots of talk about going 50-55MpH - is this your straightline speed? or are you talking about this as a speed to aim for in heat racing trim?

What about 7.5's - are they running around the same speed as the 3.5's or about 5MpH faster.

All BS aside what is a good speed to aim for for consistent heat racing set-up.

Thanks in advance for your advice

GT 8)

GTR,

I'd say my 3.5 stock runs about 44-45 for heat racing. My 3.5 mod is probably around 49 - 50. My 7.5 stock is in the 47-48 mph area. I know some of the 7.5 mods are doing 53 - 55 in heat racing trim.

Jerry D.

the speeds i won the straight a way competitions at the nats were 3.5-48.49mph , 7.5-53.79mph , 11 -52.68mph . all of these were done with heat racing setups .all of these boats have run faster speeds,but the setup it takes to do this would be to risky to try at the nats when you are in contension for us1. maybe this info will answer your questions

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the answers I had a suspicion that the speeds I keep seeing quoted were not really for heat race set-ups. While an ultimate top speed is interesting I think heat race set-ups produce a far more reasonable indication of actual useful speed.

Thanks

GT

I radared Frank Crockett's 7.5 modified Leecraft tunnel at over 60 mph on most laps at the entrance of the left turn. He set the NAMBA heat racing record at that race. The record is now higher.

Lohring Miller

Frank was using a K&B with an irwin pipe. It had the keeley turbo head. It is same set up that I have. That was a while ago. There are better combination now available. Mark Anderson has a nelson and vanhutton tunnel that are much faster.

Mike

Mike

If that's true why did you beat him at Freemont? The old K&Bs on a good boat (Leecraft, naturally) with a good driver are still fast.

Lohring Miller

Did you not watch the grudge match? I was going into the left corner about 10 feet off his transom. I had to get around 1 guy and by the time I was on the back he was gone. After the first lap I had settled for second. No way I was catching him. That last 1/8 of his throthle on the shoots is unbelievable. I will be buying one of those nelsons as soon as it is feesible (money wise). Don't get me wrong, my boat is no slouch. It is that he has that something extra that he can use on the straights. The nelson will go on the Xt460.

Mike

Back