haze on paint after polishing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moontz

Using Klass Kote epoxy paint to finish a boat. Not my first time using it, but got some significant orange peel this time around. I think I did not have enough reducer when spraying (also was a little cold ~50 degrees in the garage). In any case, in trying to get rid of the peel, I wetsanded with 800 to 1500 and then used turtle wax rubbing compound & then polished. I can not get a gloss finish back though. Has anyone wetsanded and polished klass kote successfully? Its not too big of a deal to repaint as only 2 colors and I have enough paint, but curious what the issue is. I am doing all by hand with no buffer. Am I not polishing long/hard enough? ANy similar experiences?

Using Klass Kote epoxy paint to finish a boat. Not my first time using it, but got some significant orange peel this time around. I think I did not have enough reducer when spraying (also was a little cold ~50 degrees in the garage). In any case, in trying to get rid of the peel, I wetsanded with 800 to 1500 and then used turtle wax rubbing compound & then polished. I can not get a gloss finish back though. Has anyone wetsanded and polished klass kote successfully? Its not too big of a deal to repaint as only 2 colors and I have enough paint, but curious what the issue is. I am doing all by hand with no buffer. Am I not polishing long/hard enough? ANy similar experiences?
Polish with 3M Finesse-It. I've never gotten the shine I was looking for with others I've tried. B)

In my experience 1500 is not fine enough,

I wet sand 1000-1200-1500 then 2000

Compound with a wool buff pad with 3M Perfect-it 3000

Then foam waffle pad with finesse-it

Then hand wax afterwards

That is with Dupont Imron paints

Not sure if it would work the same with epoxy paints??

In my experience 1500 is not fine enough,I wet sand 1000-1200-1500 then 2000

Then hand wax afterwards

You can go to a local body shop and get a little of the compound and "finess it" You can do that stuff by hand, it just takes longer.

In my experience 1500 is not fine enough,I wet sand 1000-1200-1500 then 2000

Then hand wax afterwards

You can go to a local body shop and get a little of the compound and "finess it" You can do that stuff by hand, it just takes longer.
I Dunno, I was always taught to work smarter, not harder.

dont wax new paint!! paint is not cured (re:50 degree when sprayed)800 is pretty stiff to sand with unless you are getting it ready to paint. paint probably has not fully cured, still soft, why it wont shine. you need some heat!! set in sun for a couple days and let it cure, assuming you mixed the correct ratio of catalyst/paint. try re-buffing, if it wont shiine, probably a repaint is necessary.

dan

Dan is right need to interduce heat. No sun,I use my heat gun. Low air temps make curing take longer. May take three or four days to cure.

Bob

ended up sanding down and repainting. used proper ratio of reducer for my gun and smooth like glass now. thanks for the advice though. figured if i didnt do the repaint, id be thinking about it until I did :) will post pics when complete.

ended up sanding down and repainting. used proper ratio of reducer for my gun and smooth like glass now. thanks for the advice though. figured if i didnt do the repaint, id be thinking about it until I did :) will post pics when complete.
Sound like to slow of reducer or wrong mix ratio..I havent used epoxy paint much accept Imorn that stuff is very toxic and at times needs heat to help cure them.Only used that stuff 6 times that was on Peterbuilt semi's &one car frame.. All my paints I use are automotive urothanes..Dan I havent heard 2-3 days cure times.. At times I waited a extra day before I suff&buff.But I never use Klass koat paints..Flascaleboater I've used 1500 all the time with my boats and customers cars&trucks with no proublems..and use foam buffing pads on compounds and machine glase..then after that use miguier#7 for handglase for that show room shine..Never touched a wool pad after I'd used the foam pads in 94. Wool pads went out like the dinasores..lol!!! just kidding..Like the old saying goes,Work smarter not harder..But I'm glad you got your boat fixed moontz..Oh no waxing for 90days!!! It takes 90 days for the paint to fully cures and thinners/reducers to completely dry out of the paints. If you wax it ,will trap the reducers and not let the paint cure wright..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back