hawaiikai111

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred robson

does anyone know the paint scheme, the numbers, the paint brand,and the color of the seat? if so, please let me know.

fred/ bobbie-

Last edited by a moderator:
Newton Marine has most of that on the color sheet for the Kai, the exception being the seat. The seat is a black leather if I remember the material right since I helped create the "Quasi Kai" for the Hydro & Raceboat Museum. You can check with the HARM as they MAY have the color numbers at http://www.thunderboats.org

Hey Fred,

Please tell me the Pinkie is for Bobbie - Har, Har!!! What color is the seat?? Only pic I have from top shows a white driver's suit covered Butt. 1/8th or something bigger??? CHEERS !!! Bob

they are willy's jeep paints you will find the paint codes very easy.

ppg 71129 coral mist

ppg 71390 tropical rose

59-61 year willy's jeep

You sure about that? This is what's posted on Lesliefield's site:

U-8 Hawaii Kai III (USA )

Owner - Edgar Kaiser (Oakland)

Designer - Ted Jones

Builder - Les Staudacher

Length - 30ft

Beam - 12ft 3in

Hull - 3 pointer

Colours - coral pink & cream [also described as "tropical rose and coral mist"], no trim on tail fin

Detail - metal clad plywood

Weight - 6,600

Power - V12 Allison

Drivers - Howard Gidovlenko & Jack Regas

Winner of Sahara Cup & Rogers Memorial Trophy

Detail - Mobil horse on tail; plus Hula Girl, trim on tail fin

Power - V12 Rolls-Royce Merlin

Driver - Jack Regas

Winner of Silver Cup; Roger's Memorial; Sahara Cup; & Madison Cup

Won the Nat'l Championship

Set the World's (kilometer) Record - 195.32 mph.

I doubt that the colors were from the 59-61 Jeep if they were used three years earlier on the Kai

so im of the understanding you have the plans for the kai hj, in that case you must have more information than the newtons have on it, perhaps you may indulge in finding the real coulors for us all.

Dont know anything about it but Kaiser/Fraiser were the first jeeps. Its possible he liked the colors so well he used them on Jeeps. Either way REAL MEN like PINK Just in case you think this old man is full of chitt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_J._Kaiser

Hey Robert,

"Fred looks good in pink"

Oh, Yeah!!! Fred will be a good lookin' unit in pink - Har di Har!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Wayne got it right. Tropical rose and coral mist. My dad and I probably built 10 models in different scale over his lifetime. Definelty a favorite of my family. I have the plans for the boat at www.newtonmarine.com

thanks for the stand on this david it goes to show research is a wonderful thing, only wish i could see these old hydro's in the flesh, its on the cards. ok now for some more trivial things.

Wayne, I'm not disputing what colors are on the Kai, not even close. I'm just asking if you're sure the same colors were used on the Jeep three years later or if they came from a different usage source prior to being used on the Kai. Maybe Miniczar would know on that one as there has to be more on this one out there someplace

I am pretty sure it was the Willis jeep, but now 100%. It may have been a ford, but it was a color code from an automobile.

David Newton is correct.............. I could not possibly question his call on this. It was the Jeep and also the Ford. I found out about the Ford when I went to the local Auto paint shop. They had the list of all of the ingrediants to making the two colors. Only problem in Califonia is that they can no longer make that paint exactly to the same specs because there is lead in the ingrediants and California does not allow lead in paints. I had to have them do a color match which they did. Getting the exact color vinyl graphics is a treat also.

I have a 1/8th scale Kai and a Kai Classic Thunderboat and will always keep in honor of Roger as he always treated me so well. There are pictures also that David's dad gave me that I haver never seen publically posted.

Thanks, Al Waters

David Newton is correct.............. I could not possibly question his call on this. It was the Jeep and also the Ford. I found out about the Ford when I went to the local Auto paint shop. They had the list of all of the ingrediants to making the two colors. Only problem in Califonia is that they can no longer make that paint exactly to the same specs because there is lead in the ingrediants and California does not allow lead in paints. I had to have them do a color match which they did. Getting the exact color vinyl graphics is a treat also.

I have a 1/8th scale Kai and a Kai Classic Thunderboat and will always keep in honor of Roger as he always treated me so well. There are pictures also that David's dad gave me that I haver never seen publically posted.

Thanks, Al Waters
AlThere is an easy way to get your grafics to match the colors you need. Get some white vinyl and paint it the colors you need and have them cut out. I've done this before and it works great.

Ralph Kemp

Looks like we have our answer on where the colors came from. Now the only question is "What was Ford thinking???????????" :D

Latest posts

Back