hate reading the newspaper anymore

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbarn

R.I.P. Alvin Lee, lead guitarist of Ten Years After. One of the faster pickers out there, & another reason I love old school blues. I remember seeing Ten Years After, Blue Oyster Cult, Savoy Brown & Billy Preston for $7!! Billy Preston seemed to not fit when I read the line up, but he ROCKED! **** this is getting scary, a lot of these folks are about my age......way too many moving on lately )-:

Ten Years After, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rod Stewart, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ. Stewart sucked. RIP Alvin, "I'm going home"
default_sad.png

R.I.P. Alvin Lee, lead guitarist of Ten Years After. One of the faster pickers out there, & another reason I love old school blues. I remember seeing Ten Years After, Blue Oyster Cult, Savoy Brown & Billy Preston for $7!! Billy Preston seemed to not fit when I read the line up, but he ROCKED! **** this is getting scary, a lot of these folks are about my age......way too many moving on lately )-:
What you have to remember, however, is how many of these guys lived. Many lived on fast food, booze, drugs and ladies(being PC on the last one) which wore them down faster than those of us that have lead relatively tame lifestyles by comparison. Obviously, not all those that pass on "early" have lived that lifestyle but, when you read about musicians gone in their 40s or 50s, there has to be something that cut them down

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have to remember, however, is how many of these guys lived. Many lived on fast food, booze, drugs and ladies(being PC on the last one) which wore them down faster than those of us that have lead relatively tame lifestyles by comparison. Obviously, not all those that pass on "early" have lived that lifestyle but, when you read about musicians gone in their 40s or 50s, there has to be something that cut them down
I agree with you, but on the other hand, what about Lemmy (kilmister, Motorhead's singer) that just sadly passed recently. That dude LIVED. Drank a 1/5 of Jack Daniels every day since he was 30 (according to him!). He was a known wildman...He lived to be 70.

I'm currently reading "Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir" by Dave Mustaine (Metallica/Megadeth). I've always been a massive Mustaine fan, and he surely led a very fast lifestyle. He's still kicking at 54, young by our non-rockstar standards. Just released a new album and a new world tour. Not bad. Oh and the book is very good, by the way.

What I'm getting at is, perhaps lifestyle isn't all of that. I know it sure does play a large part...hell, look at Layne Staley (Alice In Chains), died way too early (drugs)...possibly say the same for that Nirvana dude...I dunno. I'd be interested to see what happens if you take out all drug ODs...does a rockstar's death age match that of a "regular" person regardless of lifestyle?

Anyway, something to consider, and kind of interesting to think about....

Cheers..

-Joey

No argument there.....in Dave's book there's a quote from Hetfield that said something like, "Dave was born with a horseshoe up his a**; That's how lucky he is". He is lucky to still be "pulling breath" as he states it. ha!

Well, you know what I think of Rod Stewart............................
default_mad.gif

Dick Tyndall
What about Rod Stewart when he was with Jeff Beck, back when he actually sang blues? Truth is still one of my favorite albums. We're talking middle/late 60's, not later model ballads & love songs. I agree, that Rod sucked.....

Here's one I never thought would survive anywhere near this long!

A story goes that when Keith Richards was being interviewed by a rock journalist, he was asked : "What's it like to be a Living Legend" ?

He thought for a while, then replied : " Well..., the legend part was easy....." !!!

Back