Grimracer.com sport40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Gang

After 4 years of work and countless hours of work....hum hum on and off.. we have had our first test run with the grimracer.com sport 40. The boat started out in my hands 4 years ago when I bought the hull from David Preusse. The hull was in tough shape even though it was never built and run. The glass work was wavy and had holes in it everywhere. The boat was almost crapcanned. However I would rather save an old boat then leave it for dead so off to work I went.

The decks were replaced and the holes filled I new cockpit was setup on the hull and drive hardware installed.

It hit the water for the first time today and all I can say is wow. It was real good off the bench. We are having some problems with water getting in the carb but we think we are close to nailing it down. On the water the boat is very steady and in running in the low 50s.

Here is the test setup.

K+B 7.5

Rossi 40 nitro pipe with power surge silencer

Pipe set at 10 3/4

45 Byron fuel (the best) shameless little plug

prather 235 prop

JR Radio

Octura MM

Speed master rudder

Marine specialties strut

9lbs 2oz running weight (a little heavy so we will have to see how it does during the hot summer months) testing looks good.

Grimracer :D

So THAT'S what I kept seeing on your bench from time to time!

Looks good, Mike!

So.......the kit will be out when? ;)

Can I see the tailend?

Very nice!!!! :eek: You defiantly put a lot of work into it to get it looking that good!

looking good Mike!

power surge silencer? hummm new product? got one for a 20 boat?

Tom

Let me know what you need and i can help. The best way we have found to fit the unit is to have the guys send me there pipes. Its the best way to make sure that you get a perfict fit.

If you want to send me a pipe we can fit one up. If not then you would have to give me you stinnger OD and we can make one to fit.

One of the reasions we do not yet offer this on our website is that fitting the unit on the pipe "so far" requires you to send me your pipe.

We are working on the ins and outs of this at this time. I do know that a freind of mine had to have his pipes modifyed to fit a muffler that he bought, it was not cheap to do. I think that the welding shop bit him for around 30 bucks. Ouch..

Pipe 50 bucks

Muffler 25

Welding 30

95 bucks..that hurts we want to get rid of the welding aspect but this requires a good fit.

Here is what i see happening.

Most will hang on to the pipes they have now. They will need mufflers. After some time, they will start buying muffled pipes.

For the guys like me that have little room for a muffled pipe under the cowl (grimracer.com sport 40) the muffler will still be the hot ticket.

grim

Now all you gotta do is find a driver that will fit in the cowling that has long hair...to give it that "scale" look. ;D

Grim,

Uh, so how do you take the cowl off? ??? Do you have to take the muffler off first? :p

I presume you dont take the cowl off each time you start the boat, you start the engine through the cockpit opening of the cowl? 8)

Ian.

Interesting enough we can unlock the cowl, slide it back and then to the side and never remove the muffler for starting. I did not know if this was going to work very good but it works quite well.

As for the driver i have one but have not started putting him in yet. Maybe i will have to make him have a long ponytail ..LOL.

I have headers started for the 502ci thats in there but need a few hrs to complete them.

grim

Mike, Nice job on your boat.

This boat has to be ten years old but never ran or finished. It was one of a very few factory rejects with bad gel coat air bubbles You took your time and it paid off in a good looking boat. Mike laid a thin ply on the deck of the boat to reinforce it and it looks good too.

The rear wings are good for stablizing the hull and i think he has them mounted on velcro pads so if there is a crash they just pop off.

The weight is ok we just setup some new Super Sport 45 boats here and they were about 8 1/2 lb rtr and the one i have after repairs and paint job fixes for two years is almost 10 lb.

Go to a x450 or x452 prop and a little shorter on the pipe and the speed will get to 55-60 mph. I had a k/b in one of my boats do 66 one day, one of those days when everthing was right. If yur motor is a good one try the 1455 octura prop. We like the 1455 octura with the trailing edge bent up a bit to get rid of some of the lift and the tips cupped to max out the speed the motor can deliver..

GOOD LUCK with your new Super Sport 45 PHIL THOMAS

Back