Grimracer Articles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Thomas

Where can i find the Grimracer setup articles that where on here? I purchased a VS1 and remember reading a 50mph with stock power article but cant seem to find it sense the website changed....Thanks.....

Where can i find the Grimracer setup articles that where on here? I purchased a VS1 and remember reading a 50mph with stock power article but cant seem to find it sense the website changed....Thanks.....
Scroll up and use the search feature. It's a great tool

Type in Villian and then you can hit sort by date.

Oh man, Thanks a bunch lol....Ive been sifting thru 532 search results for the last hour and didnt find anything! I appriciate it Don.........

I see the 50mph mark is with a Sport mod OS. Anybody have a guestimate of where that setup would be with stock power? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
In IMPBA racing there is no stock or modified tunnel class for .21 size engines It's Sport tunnel and B tunnel. In the sport class you cannot change the inlet size on the carb, or outlet size on the exhaust, and you have to have the factory needle valve in place. no tuned pipes, powerhead and lower unit from the same manufactuer ect.

In IMPBA racing there is no stock or modified tunnel class for .21 size engines It's Sport tunnel and B tunnel. In the sport class you cannot change the inlet size on the carb, or outlet size on the exhaust, and you have to have the factory needle valve in place. no tuned pipes, powerhead and lower unit from the same manufactuer ect.
What about port timing and turbo crank ? So the OS XM (Sport) Grim mentions in the setup it out of the box stock? Thanks......

What about port timing and turbo crank ? So the OS XM (Sport) Grim mentions in the setup it out of the box stock? Thanks......
Go to the IMPBA website for a full description of the sport tunnel rules www.impba.net. If you want to know what Mike has done to his engine you need to ask him.

Go to the IMPBA website for a full description of the sport tunnel rules www.impba.net. If you want to know what Mike has done to his engine you need to ask him.
LOL, Dude , you took my whole question out of context! I couldnt care less what Grim has done to his engine! All i wanted to know is if the above mentioned setup is with a out of the box STOCK engine and you come on and twist it into some sport tunnel rules issue. I didnt ask nothing about the IMPBA racing circuit....My understanding is there are STOCK engines, then there are SPORT engines, then there are MODIFIED engines so if you arent willing to answer the simple question then move over and let someone else answer it............ :eek:

LOL, Dude , you took my whole question out of context! I couldnt care less what Grim has done to his engine! All i wanted to know is if the above mentioned setup is with a out of the box STOCK engine and you come on and twist it into some sport tunnel rules issue. I didnt ask nothing about the IMPBA racing circuit....My understanding is there are STOCK engines, then there are SPORT engines, then there are MODIFIED engines so if you arent willing to answer the simple question then move over and let someone else answer it............
ohmy.gif
Most everyone that runs an OS outboard pulls the head shim out. If you pull the shim it's no longer "Stock". I didn't take anything out of context, you specifically asked if the Engine in Grims setup is out of the box stock. The os motors I run on my sport tunnels have the head shims pulled and no internal modifications and they run very well. I referred you to the impba rules because Sport tunnel and B tunnel get called "Stock" tunnel and "Mod" tunnel alot.
biggrin.gif

troy, i'm surprised larry even responded to to your last bs post.

in regards to grim, at the tunnels his sport .21 os xm had head shim removed and 65% nitro. OUT THE BOX MINUS HEAD SHIM!!!!

tim

LOL, Dude , you took my whole question out of context! I couldnt care less what Grim has done to his engine! All i wanted to know is if the above mentioned setup is with a out of the box STOCK engine and you come on and twist it into some sport tunnel rules issue. I didnt ask nothing about the IMPBA racing circuit....My understanding is there are STOCK engines, then there are SPORT engines, then there are MODIFIED engines so if you arent willing to answer the simple question then move over and let someone else answer it............
ohmy.gif
Most everyone that runs an OS outboard pulls the head shim out. If you pull the shim it's no longer "Stock". I didn't take anything out of context, you specifically asked if the Engine in Grims setup is out of the box stock.
WRONG! The question was as stated above ( what can i expect with a STOCK engine and this setup) before you added confusion into it! Yes i have the head shim out but in the world i live in, thats still STOCK ! I never considered raising compression and advancing ignition timing a modification and by the way, you STILL didnt answer the question...Imagine that.....Thanks for the help, or lack off..... Try and remember not everybody on this website has been doing this very long as i'm SURE you knew everything there is to know when you built your first boat....Have a nice day...............

Too much caffeine today? I don't own a radar gun,so I don't know if my sons VS1 goes 50 with that setup or not, My OS powered sport tunnel is a Leecraft XTR-21. The only way to answer your question is to Grab your boat, your radar gun and some fuel and go run it, then come back and tell us if your boat can run 50 with that setup, and your "STOCK" engine The best way to learn what works on you boat is to run it. No two boats are the same. Whether you realize it or not you raised your compression when you pulled the shim on your motor.
smile.gif

OK, Let me clear things up for you guys that dont remember what its like when you first got into this sport. First, if i offended anybody i am sorry. I dont go and try and offend anyone unless i feel its warranted. OBVIOUSLY i was confused about the classes and this is why i was confused. Ive heard that some guys around here do what is called a SPORT MOD to the OS engine and it consist of raising the exhaust port timing to 180*, turbo cutting the crank and some blending of the intake ports so NATURALY once this is done the motor is not STOCK anymore or at least in the world of REAL outboard racing engines it wouldn't be so i figured there must be a STOCK class, a SPORT class and a MODIFIED class for the CMB's Novarossi's ect...

So when i read Grimms article and i saw the word "SPORT" i figured that was a semi modified class....A step up from STOCK but with restrictions on the mods.

At the same time you could have answered the question by simply saying (SPORT) is a stock engine with shim removed and it would have cleared up my confusion without adding more to it!

SO, sorry if i offended anybody, i realise now that you were trying to help but like i said, this is new to me as i am a NEWBIE so maybe you could have been a little more understanding in the way you answered the question. Again sorry if i offended, just felt like you were yanking the chain a little ;) Hope this helped clear things up and helps you understand my confusion......Have a good one.......

Too much caffeine today? I don't own a radar gun,so I don't know if my sons VS1 goes 50 with that setup or not, My OS powered sport tunnel is a Leecraft XTR-21. The only way to answer your question is to Grab your boat, your radar gun and some fuel and go run it, then come back and tell us if your boat can run 50 with that setup, and your "STOCK" engine The best way to learn what works on you boat is to run it. No two boats are the same. Whether you realize it or not you raised your compression when you pulled the shim on your motor.
smile.gif
Yes,i understand it raised the compression..lol :rolleyes: note my second to last post, I'm not stupid to the world of motor sports. All i was asking is a GUESTIMATE of speed, i realise every boat is different!

Do you know anything about these bad boyz in the pic ? I know everything about them so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and i'm sure i can answer them :D

Have a good one guys......

troy, stock and sport are basically the same thing. you can do as mentioned above as long as it is stock appearing.

you motor with the right prop(grimracer 40/53) you should see above 50mph. i hope this is what you were looking for.

tim

OK, Let me clear things up for you guys that dont remember what its like when you first got into this sport. First, if i offended anybody i am sorry. I dont go and try and offend anyone unless i feel its warranted. OBVIOUSLY i was confused about the classes and this is why i was confused. Ive heard that some guys around here do what is called a SPORT MOD to the OS engine and it consist of raising the exhaust port timing to 180*, turbo cutting the crank and some blending of the intake ports so NATURALY once this is done the motor is not STOCK anymore or at least in the world of REAL outboard racing engines it wouldn't be so i figured there must be a STOCK class, a SPORT class and a MODIFIED class for the CMB's Novarossi's ect...

So when i read Grimms article and i saw the word "SPORT" i figured that was a semi modified class....A step up from STOCK but with restrictions on the mods.

At the same time you could have answered the question by simply saying (SPORT) is a stock engine with shim removed and it would have cleared up my confusion without adding more to it!

SO, sorry if i offended anybody, i realise now that you were trying to help but like i said, this is new to me as i am a NEWBIE so maybe you could have been a little more understanding in the way you answered the question. Again sorry if i offended, just felt like you were yanking the chain a little
wink.gif
Hope this helped clear things up and helps you understand my confusion......Have a good one.......
No offense taken on my part. The very reason that I referred you to the sport tunnel rules is because of the misconception that the sport tunnel class is Stock class, its not. Can you run competetively with a motor that has not been modded?Absolutely. If I would have answered your question by simply saying (SPORT) is a stock engine with the head shim removed,I would have been feeding you a line of B.S. Sport class pretty much allows no external mods to the engine powerhead and lower unit, what is done to the internal components is up to the individual. Just because it is allowed does not mean you have to do it. I would not recommend running ANY nitro engine out of the box. You would be suprised what you might find wrong when you look inside...metal shavings,burrs, headspace anywhere from nothing to wide enough to park your car. I had a brand new K&B .21 that had the sleeve rotated 180 degrees, I don't think it would have run too well out of the box stock.

smile.gif
Yes,i understand it raised the compression..lol
rolleyes.gif
note my second to last post, I'm not stupid to the world of motor sports. All i was asking is a GUESTIMATE of speed, i realise every boat is different!

Do you know anything about these bad boyz in the pic ? I know everything about them so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and i'm sure i can answer them
biggrin.gif

IS it STOCK?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smile.gif
Yes,i understand it raised the compression..lol
rolleyes.gif
note my second to last post, I'm not stupid to the world of motor sports. All i was asking is a GUESTIMATE of speed, i realise every boat is different!

Do you know anything about these bad boyz in the pic ? I know everything about them so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and i'm sure i can answer them
biggrin.gif

IS it STOCK?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
That one is indeed stock from Mercury Racing excepr for lightened and balanced pistons and rods and flywheel but i have 2 others that are "Sport" Stock :D Sorry for the confusion fella's, just trying to learn things here! All is crystal clear now......

Troy, I got your PM, not trying to ingore you, just been surrounded by boxes since Thursday... So to answer the question, I have everything here now. I will shoot you a PM tonight to talk details if you want.

Thanks, James

Back