Grimracer Articles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much caffeine today? I don't own a radar gun,so I don't know if my sons VS1 goes 50 with that setup or not, My OS powered sport tunnel is a Leecraft XTR-21. The only way to answer your question is to Grab your boat, your radar gun and some fuel and go run it, then come back and tell us if your boat can run 50 with that setup, and your "STOCK" engine The best way to learn what works on you boat is to run it. No two boats are the same. Whether you realize it or not you raised your compression when you pulled the shim on your motor.
smile.gif
Yes,i understand it raised the compression..lol :rolleyes: note my second to last post, I'm not stupid to the world of motor sports. All i was asking is a GUESTIMATE of speed, i realise every boat is different!

Do you know anything about these bad boyz in the pic ? I know everything about them so feel free to ask me any questions you may have and i'm sure i can answer them :D

Have a good one guys......
is that merc a stock or mod

troy, it is a VERY common miconception that impba sport 20 tunnel is a "stock" class. the only thing stock about it are the rules that carbs cannot be modified, the ex, outlets must remain as produced by the factory, you cannot mix air & watercooled parts & the powerhead & lower must be from the same manufacturer. after that, it's WIDE OPEN, turbo cuts, porting, cutting piston skirts, combustion chamber mods - you name it. virtually anything internal is legal, as long as the motor remains stock appearing. so, when someone says they have a "sport" motor, it's very hard to say how fast it may run. but, i will say grim is as straight up as the day is long. if he says it's box stock, except the head shim is pulled, you can believe it. btw, if you change anything from the way it left the manufacturer, it's no longer "stock". check out the apba/opc rc boat rules. when they say stock, they mean it, & WILL tear you down in a heartbeat. btw, i don't know all there is to know about your v-6, but i DO know about stackers B) .

Last edited by a moderator:
troy, it is a VERY common misconception that impba sport 20 tunnel is a "stock" class. the only thing stock about it are the rules that carbs cannot be modified, the ex, outlets must remain as produced by the factory, you cannot mix air & water cooled parts & the powerhead & lower must be from the same manufacturer. after that, it's WIDE OPEN, turbo cuts, porting, cutting piston skirts, combustion chamber mods - you name it. virtually anything internal is legal, as long as the motor remains stock appearing. so, when someone says they have a "sport" motor, it's very hard to say how fast it may run. but, i will say grim is as straight up as the day is long. if he says it's box stock, except the head shim is pulled, you can believe it. btw, if you change anything from the way it left the manufacturer, it's no longer "stock". check out the apba/opc rc boat rules. when they say stock, they mean it, & WILL tear you down in a heartbeat. btw, i don't know all there is to know about your v-6, but i DO know about stacks B) .

That's the way ive always understood stock to be. When they say "stock" in (Outboard Drag Racing) that means exactly what it says "stock"! So now you can understand why i was confused. The stock classes will allow things like raising compression, Ignition timing and its still considered stock but you start raising and enlarging the ports and stroking the cranks you'll get DQ d real fast. I dont race but i do river race and have been around the races and racers for years now and doing it as hobby for 13 years now and do all my own engine builds and setups. I even do some "blending" myself but leave the real machine work to the experts.

The motor in the pic is totally stock except for a lightened and balanced rotating assembly minus the crank . I have 2 other motors from Mercury Racing that are modified , Intake, Ports and exhaust. These motors wouldn't be allowed in a "stock" class. So the rules that ive always been around are stock means stock!

As for Grim saying it was with a stock engine i dont know, all i read is whats stated in the above post and that is "Sport" so i just assumed it was a "sport mod" motor before i realised they are both in the same class. If Grim says its Stock, that's good enough for me but i still would like to have one of them "Sport Stock" motors anyway.... :p Always looking for more HP and RPM...The more the merrier :)

Last edited by a moderator:
troy, it is a VERY common misconception that impba sport 20 tunnel is a "stock" class. the only thing stock about it are the rules that carbs cannot be modified, the ex, outlets must remain as produced by the factory, you cannot mix air & water cooled parts & the powerhead & lower must be from the same manufacturer. after that, it's WIDE OPEN, turbo cuts, porting, cutting piston skirts, combustion chamber mods - you name it. virtually anything internal is legal, as long as the motor remains stock appearing. so, when someone says they have a "sport" motor, it's very hard to say how fast it may run. but, i will say grim is as straight up as the day is long. if he says it's box stock, except the head shim is pulled, you can believe it. btw, if you change anything from the way it left the manufacturer, it's no longer "stock". check out the apba/opc rc boat rules. when they say stock, they mean it, & WILL tear you down in a heartbeat. btw, i don't know all there is to know about your v-6, but i DO know about stacks B) .

That's the way ive always understood stock to be. When they say "stock" in (Outboard Drag Racing) that means exactly what it says "stock"! So now you can understand why i was confused. The stock classes will allow things like raising compression, Ignition timing and its still considered stock but you start raising and enlarging the ports and stroking the cranks you'll get DQ d real fast. I dont race but i do river race and have been around the races and racers for years now and doing it as hobby for 13 years now and do all my own engine builds and setups. I even do some "blending" myself but leave the real machine work to the experts.

The motor in the pic is totally stock except for a lightened and balanced rotating assembly minus the crank . I have 2 other motors from Mercury Racing that are modified , Intake, Ports and exhaust. These motors wouldn't be allowed in a "stock" class. So the rules that ive always been around are stock means stock!

As for Grim saying it was with a stock engine i dont know, all i read is whats stated in the above post and that is "Sport" so i just assumed it was a "sport mod" motor before i realised they are both in the same class. If Grim says its Stock, that's good enough for me but i still would like to have one of them "Sport Stock" motors anyway.... :p Always looking for more HP and RPM...The more the merrier :)
well in namba you can pull the head shime and still be a stock motor and by just that alone you will be please with the out come with your boat . have fun

Back