GQ Custom guitar at the Opry

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, I had one or the once in a lifetime events last night as Grammy Award winner John Berry played one of my guitars at the Grand Ole Opry! It was so awesome sitting in that historic place! I feel so blessed and honored!

here is a video of one of the songs John did with the guitar I built him...

Beautiful guitar there Glenn. Just curious what kind of clear you use on those custom guitars? I have a Strat and according to Fender, a thick coat of clear will degrade the sound
kez

Beautiful guitar there Glenn. Just curious what kind of clear you use on those custom guitars? I have a Strat and according to Fender, a thick coat of clear will degrade the sound
kez
Hey Kev! Yes thick paint (like a polyurethane auto paint) will absolutely deaden the sound!! I only use nitrocellulose lacquer. I have a very specific spray schedule and measure the final paint thickness. I basically tune the paint thickness just like I tune each piece of wood!

GQ

Hey Kev! Yes thick paint (like a polyurethane auto paint) will absolutely deaden the sound!! I only use nitrocellulose lacquer. I have a very specific spray schedule and measure the final paint thickness. I basically tune the paint thickness just like I tune each piece of wood!

GQ
Nitrocellulose is like clear dope, isn't it? That's what Fender used on their recent Strats. I guess the construction techniques are similar to that of building a RC boat. I have even seen carbon fiber acoustic guitars and even cello!
kez

It smells kinda like dope, but is not the same. It is the classic instrument finish and has been used many many years.
Yes there has been many carbon fiber instruments built over the years. What I do with the carbon is completely different than what they do.

It smells kinda like dope, but is not the same. It is the classic instrument finish and has been used many many years.
Yes there has been many carbon fiber instruments built over the years. What I do with the carbon is completely different than what they do.

Last time I checked - you bolted a .12 motor in it and set world records ;)

GQ, what a great achievement. I have always been impressed by your creative skills: hot rods, model boats, the little camping trailer, and now these beautiful guitars. Maren and I will always cherish the times we shared with you, Donna, and your boys.
JD

Latest posts

Back