GPS On Boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I have been reading topics that have some saying that they have gps in their boats to monitor speed. Where do you find them and how much room in the boat does it need? Also, what do you use to monitor them? :blink:

Most are using the small Garmin GPS units. You can set these so when you come back in with your boat you can read the fastest speed attained. You can get some units fairly cheep if you look around

Bob

Just to add to what Bob said, I think they are using the Garmin "gecko" as its water resistant/proof and fairly small. They are under a 100 bucks on Fleabay.

~James

a little ot humor on gps units, on another full size hi-po boat site (screamandfly.com). gps units and gps speedos have become popular in fast big boats too. when you get one, you learn how fast (or slow) your boat REALLY is. in response to that accuracy, one member has for his 'tag line'- "it's amazing how HEAVY a gps unit can be"- :lol: :eek: :unsure: . musta been slower than he thought.

The little Garmin 301's fit perfectly in a pill bottle you can get at your local pharmacy.

couple of rubber bands and you can move it from boat to boat...even works under cowls...

Im using the same as walt - theGarmin E trex - cheap and reliable , but attach it securely they do sink , i think the Garmin GPS 72 ?!? floats an is about the same size

Andrew

Back