Got crank?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanKewley

During my seasonal tear down I noticed this on the crank shaft of my CMB 45HR.

Anyone have a spare crank? The needle bearings look OK... one is a bit out of round. Regardless, I'll be racing it until it lets go or I get some new guts for it. ;)

scored_crank_shaft_pin.jpg

wowy,,,,,,,,,,, dont take this personal,,, but looks like sombody let some moisture reside in the engine.. :( ...once the water corrodes the finish on the pin,, its like loosing the enamel on your teeth...its only a matter of time before you get a cavity ;) ..

best of luck on your parts find sir..

alden

When replacing the crank I would replace the needle bearing.They may look good but if you look at then under a micro scope you will see that they are pitted.Looking at the rust on the crank I would say replace both and save your self from doing it again.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
When replacing the crank I would replace the needle bearing.They may look good but if you look at then under a micro scope you will see that they are pitted.Looking at the rust on the crank I would say replace both and save your self from doing it again.

Dave Roach
From the looks of it I would say the rod is bad also.

I called Stu Barr and ordered a new crank, connecting rod, needle bearings, new wrist pin, and wrist pin clips. $178 shipped. I decided to NOT race it this Sunday and wait for the new parts to arrive.

Dave Roach
From the looks of it I would say the rod is bad also.

Absolutely ..don't run that or you will risk destroying whats left of that engine !!Wow , more after run oil and flushing of that engine is in order . Never seen a needle bearing crank that bad . That damage started as rust and there you go .

I called Stu Barr and ordered a new crank, connecting rod, needle bearings, new wrist pin, and wrist pin clips. $178 shipped. I decided to NOT race it this Sunday and wait for the new parts to arrive.

Smart move Sean .

Back