Good .12 Marine Engine & Pipe? Where?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

What's a good .12 Marine Engine & Pipe? Where can I get one?

I've seen the NovaRossi. Are there other brands available too?

Thanks.

Dave

Try the Orion Rev .12 car engine. Swap out the carb for one from an OS 18TZ. I am using an SPP carbon fiber pipe. This combination is great! The engine just keeps on reving.

Try the Orion Rev .12 car engine. Swap out the carb for one from an OS 18TZ. I am using an SPP carbon fiber pipe. This combination is great! The engine just keeps on reving.
do you have a water cooled head on that orion?

Most .12's don't need water cooling. A lot of us are removing heat sink fins from the air-cooled head to get the engines up to temperature. With it hanging out in the open air on a 'rigger it gets more than enough air and cooler with it coming off the water.

See if Glenn Quarles is still making pipes as he has a really nice (and quiet) one. Another good one is from Mac Products, their 2.5 pipe.

Along the lines of what Bob said, most .12's need a carb swap. The majority of them are made to be ROAR and IFMAR rules, the car and truck sanctioning bodies so they're limited to a 5mm bore, we're not.

Most .12's don't need water cooling. A lot of us are removing heat sink fins from the air-cooled head to get the engines up to temperature. With it hanging out in the open air on a 'rigger it gets more than enough air and cooler with it coming off the water.See if Glenn Quarles is still making pipes as he has a really nice (and quiet) one. Another good one is from Mac Products, their 2.5 pipe.

Along the lines of what Bob said, most .12's need a carb swap. The majority of them are made to be ROAR and IFMAR rules, the car and truck sanctioning bodies so they're limited to a 5mm bore, we're not.
Yes I am still making the .12 pipes. They are still $40 (+ $5 shipping). I make them to order so if you need one it may take a few days to get it built.

The new carb nova is sending me for the .12's is working really good. It is a .250' (6.3 mm) bore. I asked Rod to play with one on his flow bench and I was very happy with the results. Stock he told me the fuel draw was prety good, but with the low end needle removed and the spray bar shortened the fuel draw was EXCELLENT! ANd the fuel draw curve as the throttle opened and closed was perfectly linear. I think he was very impressed!

Ron is right about the cooling...most .12 need very little. As I have played with the water cooling more I now like it better than the air cooling. With both the water inlet and outlet restricted I can get the motor to just the right temp and it seems to stay more constant. Plus the nice polished water cooled heads from Nova look swoopy!

Glenn

I just got my new .12 5 port Top engine from Gleen today. All I can say is WOW! What a nice engine. I do not think you will find a better .12 out there. Be it an onroad car or marine engine.

Car engines do work. But buy the time you swap out the carb you will have paid more than what the Top .12 cost.

Thanks for importing these little engines Gleen. I think I will be talking to you this winter about that $250.00 .21 engine that you sell. When I get closer to finishing my Whiplash sport 20.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my new .12 5 port Top engine from Gleen today. All I can say is WOW! What a nice engine. I do not think you will find a better .12 out there. Be it an onroad car or marine engine.Car engines do work. But buy the time you swap out the carb you will have paid more than what the Top .12 cost.

Thanks for importing these little engines Gleen. I think I will be talking to you this winter about that $250.00 .21 engine that you sell. When I get closer to finishing my Whiplash sport 20.

Mark
Thanks Mark...yes they are NICE. I had the chance to run mine in my new heat race design yesterday and to say the least I was super happy! The new carb worked GREAT!

I have a bunch of the .12 motors, spare parts, etc coming in the next order.

Glenn

Back