Glassing technique for securing tank tray in Seaducer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanKewley

I have a new Seaducer that I'm rigging for D-mono and I'm wondering how others have glassed the fuel tank tray to the bottom of the hull.

I have 1.5oz - 6oz glass cloth that I can use. Should I roll the glass and wet it out so it lays under the sides of the tray??

What have some of you done to secure the tray?

Thanks

That should work fine as you already spelled out. Set the tank tray in your hull (trial fit without resin and cloth) and try to see where the tray and hull meet (or make the most contact) then concentrate on those areas. The seaducer instructions worked well for me.

I have a new Seaducer that I'm rigging for D-mono and I'm wondering how others have glassed the fuel tank tray to the bottom of the hull.

I have 1.5oz - 6oz glass cloth that I can use. Should I roll the glass and wet it out so it lays under the sides of the tray??

What have some of you done to secure the tray?

Thanks
i won't use a plastic tank. i had walt build me a ss tank, then made a tray to fit out of ply,then used resin to glue that to the hull. the tank is held to the tray with ty wraps front and back.it can't move and has never been out of the boat,in at least 4 years(since new),and hope never will

As much as a pita the tanks are to get to , I prefer to tack mine in with some epoxy. That way if you HAD to get the tray back out you could. I have stuffed the snot out of em, hit bouys, ect and have only had one come loose in a wreck, tacked that one back in with spray foam between heats, and its still in there strong 3 yrs later- lol . :rolleyes:

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Have built many SD over the years. Getting ready to redo the Red 44 for just this exact same reason. Tank placement. Not that it came lose but I like to find My swweet spot. And in so doing I have used "Fast Dry" 5200 to the bottom of the tank tray and use brass cup hook and zip tie to hold the tank in place.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it. I just know what a PITA it is to have to re-glue something that is contaminated with fuel/oil if it comes loose later.

5200 is a Marine Adhesive.

Its an Idea. fianl decision...............all yous.

How I do it is cut some 3/4 oz mat 2 inches wide and the length of the tray. I put 2 strips along each side of the tray with the tanks upside down I wet out the mat then slide the tanks in the boat

I have never had one come loose on me yet

Jerry

How I do it is cut some 3/4 oz mat 2 inches wide and the length of the tray. I put 2 strips along each side of the tray with the tanks upside down I wet out the mat then slide the tanks in the boat

Jerry
Explain upside down Jerry ? :unsure:

" I put 2 strips along each side of the tray with the tanks upside down I wet out the mat then slide the tanks in the boat"

Hope your well buddy , when you gonna come racing again ????

Andy

Hey Jerry - I sent you a pm a few weeks ago but I see you haven't read it yet. Did you not notice it is there? I know we don't receive any notification anymore.

Thanks

Olly

Jerry

" I put 2 strips along each side of the tray with the tanks upside down I wet out the mat then slide the tanks in the boat"

Andy

Andy

Once the tanks and tray are prepared, hold the hull up side down and slide the tray in, upside down. Them flip over.

Jerry

Andy

Andy

Once the tanks and tray are prepared, hold the hull up side down and slide the tray in, upside down. Them flip over.
never mind :p

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I will buy some glass matting and staple it to the wood blocks on the bottom of the tray, wet it down with resin, and then do the upside down install method.

Sean,

No need to staple the mat to the blocks. Just put a couple of drops of CA on it to hold in place, then wet it down with epoxy. Just make sure that when you have the boat and tank upside down that you slide the tray/tank in place with it against the deck. That way you will be able to drop it straight down (actually up) to the hull. Then all I do is go in later with an acid brush attached to a piece of dowl to make sure the mat is secured to the hull.

Ron

Sean,

No need to staple the mat to the blocks. Just put a couple of drops of CA on it to hold in place, then wet it down with epoxy. Just make sure that when you have the boat and tank upside down that you slide the tray/tank in place with it against the deck. That way you will be able to drop it straight down (actually up) to the hull. Then all I do is go in later with an acid brush attached to a piece of dowl to make sure the mat is secured to the hull.

Ron
I like that idea. Thanks!

have you read the seaducer inst/assembly booklet? ( section fuel tank assembly & inst) you can down load it if you go to the site.

have you read the seaducer inst/assembly booklet? ( section fuel tank assembly & inst) you can down load it if you go to the site.
Whats the use in that Joe?

Jerry didn't put ant thought process in building the boat,,, or supplying you the how to's
I have it, and have read it. It doesn't really explain how to glass the tray to the hull. Take your smart ass tone to another thread.

I have about 200 copies of the inst booklet that do tell how to assemble it in the boat hull, glue the fiber glass to the bottom of the tank tray with 2 inch hang over. assembly the tanks & turn the boat hull upside down wet out the over hanging cloth & side it into the hull. Now if you want to leave the hull right side up? that is fine your going to drag all of the resin into the hull & deck area too..... Sean is that plain enough?

Back