General Run-in question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbossert

Replacing my old (~20yrs) 67 K&B Inboard with a never run 67 K&B. The engine will be installed on an Aeromarine 36" Cat. I have read the thread regarding run-in of a SC46M but have two additional questions. How many 16oz tanks before I can go 100% throttle and what fuel characteristics would be best for the run-in process?

Hmmmm trying to remember my K&B break in strategy.... One thing was to check that the big end clearance wasnt too tight and I am assuming you have de-burred the engine and checked all the other clearances.

All my other motors so far have the following process...

First tank low nitro (20%)running on the verge of 4-stroking (rich..) Throttle up and down regularly. Pipe out 1/2 inch from normal.

Second and third tank same fuel and tune but running throttle open most of the time.

Bring the pipe in and slowly lean off a click or two each run till it gets on pipe properly... next few runs go back to pulsing the throttle a lot. After that it should be ready to rock :)

EMS Racing Well it works for me

gbossert said:
Replacing my old (~20yrs) 67 K&B Inboard with a never run 67 K&B.  The engine will be installed on an Aeromarine 36" Cat.  I have read the thread regarding run-in of a SC46M but have two additional questions.  How many 16oz tanks before I can go 100% throttle and what fuel characteristics would be best for the run-in process?
Run the nitro content you intend to use in the motor just be sure you are rich especially with K&B's as they are always tight when new. You have to build heat in the motor so what I suggest is to run a few laps at half throttle and if it sounds as though its loading up dont be afraid to pull the trigger because it is rich and you want to keep it running. Once you have done a few laps then down the front side go full throttle and slow down the back every lap. This will tend to build a little heat on the front side and then cool it on the back side. I usually run at least three tanks depending on how the fit seems to be progressing, if its still tight keep up this process until it seems to loosen up a bit then begin leaning 1/8th to 1/4 turn each tank thereafter until you hit the sweet spot. I have used this method for years with great success.

Good Luck and remember those K&B's are tight to start out so be patient!

Ron

Last edited:
;) Replacing my old (~20yrs) 67 K&B Inboard with a never run 67 K&B.

:rolleyes: Sounds like my K&B he is buying is getting off to a good start. It will need to be diassembled and deburred then cleaned up prior to running it. :rolleyes: Scott

Back