Gas to FE but which driveline?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee Yon

Hi all. Im converting a 39 inch gas rigger to FE but dont know if I should use the existing 1/4 drives or go the smaller .187 driveshaft to suit my Neu 1527 or Castle 2028. My prop options will also depend on which drive I go for. Are there large 3/16 props to suit? Cheers to all.

I didnt know there is such stepdown. I guess I will need a motor coupler 8mm or 5mm to 1/4. Thanks

Thanks for the links Chilli. Im one step closer on my build now. I think I got a 240 prop somewhere that I can try. What speeds do you get on your rigger fe setup? Any videos? Thanks again mate.

Sorry no video. I've never put a GPS in it a and don't feel comfortable estimating speeds. It makes me smile when I run it though. Everything in the drive train will be 1/4" except for drive dog, prop and prop nut.

Here is a crappy pic of the general layout of the boat when I was building it. It's a custom built boat. I ran two Thunderpower 4S 6600's in the front last year. Will be trying a pair of Dinogy 6000's this year. With the layout you see here, the CG is right where it needs to be and the boat turns really nice.

S Rigger.jpg

Yo Chilli, what is the length of your rigger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chilli. Nice setup. Im in the process of ordering the parts now and also estimating where my motor/ batts should go which is basically going to be similar to yours. Im also making my own motor mount. I would assume your CG is at the end/rear of your front sponsoons? Cheers

CofG on a rigger is typically best between the middle of the blade on your fin and end of your turn fin...depends on the rigger

Here is a pic of my avenger/Spider 20 (34"L) that I am converting to FE for P-Hydro racing...not gas to FE but just showing you what I am working on converting...

attachment-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
With either motor you will want to keep the 1/4" cable unless you plan on running very high RPM which I would not recommend. Depending on the motor kv and number of cells you want to run will impact your prop selection. Build a regular 1/4" cable and a 1/4" stepdown to 3/16".

TG

Thanks for the tip RaceMech. Yes I will stick with the 1/4 drive with the stepdown and parts now ordered.

Also, whats the ideal sponsoon angle of attack? Someone mentioned to set it at 3 to 5 deg. Well I guess it will depend on the rigger design.

Thanks again for the tip guys.

Dee I would start testing with the same AOA you used with the gas version but yes from 3 to 5 is what works with this class..on my own design (Jae based) i have 4,4 AOA.Gill

Thanks Gill for your suggestion. I cant wait to finishe off this rigger and do some testing on AOAs and see whats best. Thanks again to everyone here.

No worries. I will eventually get this build finished up and will post here for sure. So far I have stripped the rigger, made a lot of mods to the tub and nearly done putting it together. I made my own motor mount, brackets and other bits. I have trial fit all hardware including the 1/4 driveline with stepdown shaft as you guys recommended. I will start on the paint in a week or two. Thanks again guys.

Well I have finished this homemade rigger project. Thank you all again for all your expert advise. You guys are legends.

I'll try to post a video in water next.

Thanks.

20150531_103002.jpg

Back