Gas Scale Weight

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimwhyte

Hey all,

What's the typical weight of everyone's 1/6667 scale hydros? It's kind of new class and there's not much data on this yet.

When I built one I made the mistake of upsizing the materials and ended up with a hull that was too heavy. If I built one again I would just build an oversize 1/8th scale boat using the same 1mm and 1.5mm wood. Pay careful attention to the break. The gas boats build a lot of speed by the end of the straightaway and I have seen a lot of blowovers because of it.

That's exactly what I did Mike. I just blew up Newtons 1/8 scale and used the same dia ply as his. Mine ended up 18.5 pounds, a little big I'm thinking but I think it'll still run .

My bubble bud is 24 lbs ready to run. The last one I built is 22.5 lbs. I could get it lighter if I were going for speed trials but for heat racing I don't think I could get lighter without it falling apart.

I think a little more weight is a good thing in this class. These babies catch more air with their extra size. Weight is really not a factor unless your drag racing and you need acceleration....Lighter boat is a plus at the start when you nail it to get going.

It also kind of depends on how accurate to scale you're trying to get. I'm working on a 1978 Miss Madison and, to get the air traps to look right, I've gone with almost scale thickness 5/32 ply. For the most part, everything else has been left the same thickness and just upsized though, to get the boat right, the frames have been respaced and a couple more added to put the firewall and visible cross frames in the correct locations

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be looking for ways to spill the air but 20 - 25 lbs is not an issue with them . Re Scott Williamson’s boats and knowledge of them .

Back