Fun Vintage stuff

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, those old TD cox engines,,, what size were they ? Must have been bigger than a .049...

Seems like a lot of boat to be pushed by a cox motor !?!?

What kind of speeds would they run???
10 - 15 mph ?

I have a few TDs.

But.. my Olympic 15 (NIB) is my most treasured and the very engine that started the collection of crap I have.

Grim

I built a Dumas Thriftway w/.049 as a teen, a buddy across the lake had one too. One night, really late we decided to go run the boats. Out in the middle of the lake, full moon, no clouds, water like glass, rudders set for big circle. We'd start them up, launch them from the boat, then try to avoid them as they came around in a circle. We were having a blast....but I'm sure with the annoying sound of those little engines carrying across the lake at night, there were plenty of residents that were wondering who the Fidiots were making that irritating noise.

It was a lot of fun, but in retrospect....WTH were we thinking? We weren't..... LOL

Good stuff Grim, thanks for sharing.

I built the electric powered runabout probably around 1957 or 58. I built others for guys in the neighborhood and we would go the the local park and race them in the wading pool. I built the FE 3S Kneeler last year. I've built others for guys in our boat club and we race them at our District 8 races(well, not last year, but hopefully sometime this year.) A good example of the ultimate, "What goes around, comes around." My first nitro boat was also a free running, .049 powered Miss Thriftway, and released from my rowboat with the rudder set so it ran in a circle. I built one kit and then used the basic construction technique to make additional free run .049 powered hydroplanes out of balsa wood. Good times. So many memories.

JD

Attachments

• Vintage JD.jpg
    Vintage JD.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
I started flying control line around age 12. Years earlier my Dad bought me a cabin cruiser static model boat. I get a brainstorm, I make a mount for an .049 golden bee with a pusher prop and attach it to the rear deck of boat. Like Dunny I lock rudder for it to circle. Now here's where it gets crazy, I live in Manhattan NYC. I take it to Central Parks Sailboat lake (sail boats only). I fire it up, wade out and release it. WELL Muff and Uncle Biff at the yacht club go nuts and call the cops.o_O It was swamping small sail boats!! I wade out snatch it up still running, tuck it under my arm and run for the hills before the cops came. Around 1989 got hooked on radio control tunnels, been a fun ride ever since.:cool:đź‘Ťdownload.jpg

Vic Smeed.. Introducing Radio Control Model Boats..

Attachments

• 20210109_080509.jpg
    20210109_080509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Thriftway Too

Attachments

• 20210109_080534.jpg
    20210109_080534.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Box is not in great shape.. but.. still neat..

Attachments

• 20210109_082140.jpg
    20210109_082140.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
This is unfortunately an empty box.. the Box was donated last summer buy a friend..Scott Black. It's cool tho..

Attachments

• 20210109_082153.jpg
    20210109_082153.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
I have a few TDs:

But.. my Olympic 15 (NIB) is my most treasured and the very engine that started the collection of crap I have.
it's amazing how much brand-new Cox Tee Dee engines go for on eBay these days, easily over $100.00 most of the time. I can remember riding my stingray bike over to my local hobby shop back in the day ("Henries Toy Store" in my case), and buying a brand-new Cox Baby Bee .049 off the shelf for like $10.00 or $12.00 ? (may have even been less? like $07.00 ?).

We would go to the local super market, go into the toy section, and buy a cheap plastic toy car for little kids (maybe 9 or 10 inches long, with cheap snap-on wheels). Go home, and mount the .049 (with a pusher prop) on the back of the toy. We'd ride our bikes over to the neighborhood elementary playground, on one end. Start the car, and let it rip, all the way across the large playground asphalt, hauling ass! Sometimes it would smack right into something and destroy itself, but we got a lot of excitement out of doing it :>)

Like I said, I grew up in Manhattan NYC. Back then Macy's Dept. store had a huge hobby section. But the best was when I climbed that long flight of stairs and entered American Hobbies on 22 nd street for the first time. I stood there in awe with my mouth open at the displays and what hung from the ceiling. Nirvana for sure. I remember when I bought my first big dog engine. 🤣 Stallion 35.

Attachments

• Stallion 35.jpg
    Stallion 35.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 14
Back