Fuel Draw and carb for 3.5 K&B

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Laming

I wrote earlier about the blunt nose Dumas .The builder made a wooden cowl that was carved from a solid balsa block that runs from the cockpit to the transom. The cowl is not hollowed out for the fuel tank . The fuel line will only be about 3" long but the centerline of the tank will be about 3" below the carb. Does the engine need a hopper tank or will I be able to tap for a pressure fitting? Will fuel draw be an issue? I have other boats that are running muffler pressure. Lastly I have a Perry carb that was made for this OB. Would you suggest using the Perry? Thanks Les

I wrote earlier about the blunt nose Dumas .The builder made a wooden cowl that was carved from a solid balsa block that runs from the cockpit to the transom. The cowl is not hollowed out for the fuel tank . The fuel line will only be about 3" long but the centerline of the tank will be about 3" below the carb. Does the engine need a hopper tank or will I be able to tap for a pressure fitting? Will fuel draw be an issue? I have other boats that are running muffler pressure. Lastly I have a Perry carb that was made for this OB. Would you suggest using the Perry? Thanks Les
The Perry will work, but if you have a black carb that would work better. If you can run the tank elevated, that will assist in fuel draw. You'll definitely need to tap for a pressure fitting to get pressure to the tank.

JD

You should be able to fine a glass cowl cheap and like Jeery says get the tank up as high as you can andif running a K&B it has a pressure port on the muffler section for tank pressure. Lots of different outboard cowls will work with a little fitting.

Brad

If you cannot get the tank high enough, I build tanks with a header tank in side the main tank and this would solve your problem, and Yes you will still need a pressure fitting on your pipe to pressure the tank.

Walt Barney

Back