Frustrating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally Teresch

I bought this boat a few years ago and the paint was a little ragged where the tape had taken the paint off the hull around the radio box. So i went ahead and repainted the boat. Took it down to the bare wood, soaked any discoloured areas with alcohol and dabbed it up (in case there was oil), primed and repainted it with Hobbypoxy (had a bear of a time matching the colour).

Now I have had the radio box tape on it only 3 times and it is flaking off again. I've fixed and painted a number of boats but this is getting to be frustrating. It is like someone soaked the wood with silicon.

Any pointers or suggestions would be welcome as I'm all tapped out.

Also, anyone out there got any K&B Superpoxy red they may want to part with, I gave away the only can I had to a member on IW?

IMG_2920_resize.JPG

IMG_2921_resize.JPG

Yes it was primed with Hobbypoxy primer. The area on the upper left of the picture shows that the primer still held but the red let go. All the other areas took up the primer, paint and went down to bare wood. You can see small bits of white primer.

I sanded it with 120 grit before priming to give the paint some 'bite' but to no avail.

Most times when I have seen paint coming off with tape it is because you sanded it TOO SMOOTH. You should use 320 at the finest. The paint needs something to hang onto and that is the best grit that I have found. Once it is primed, use the 320 on the primer. By the way, I NEVER use primer, I just sand the West System Epoxy with 320 and paint directly onto that. If the paint is translucent, you may need to put a light cover coat of white first and then your color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was primed with Hobbypoxy primer. The area on the upper left of the picture shows that the primer still held but the red let go. All the other areas took up the primer, paint and went down to bare wood. You can see small bits of white primer.

I sanded it with 120 grit before priming to give the paint some 'bite' but to no avail.
You got to sand the primer. You cannot paint straight over the primer without sanding. If you do your primer has NO TOOTH..

You are probably right about too fine a paper on the primer but 120 on the wood should be course enough. Most of the primer came off with the paint as well.

The flaking is in the same areas it flaked on the original paint job. The radio cover lid is fine as well as the paint further forward (so far anyway).

I thought it might be something in the wood. An oily residue of sorts or something of that nature. My issue is that if I paint it again it will flake off unless I do some special prep. What that prep may be, I don't know.

Maybe Marty's way may be best, sand it down and coat it with West System Epoxy rather than paint on the wood and then paint it. Not sure if that will be the answer though.

Wally

Hey Walthor,

Your initial post said: "..... It is like someone soaked the wood with silicon." Have you considered that the wood is saturated by the fuel. I say this because of the color of the ply, and the primer has come off right down to the wood. As a last resort, remove the old wood and replace it with new, clean ply, then seal and paint. If it's fuel soaked - no epoxy, paint, or primer will stick. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this boat a few years ago and the paint was a little ragged where the tape had taken the paint off the hull around the radio box. So i went ahead and repainted the boat. Took it down to the bare wood, soaked any discoloured areas with alcohol and dabbed it up (in case there was oil), primed and repainted it with Hobbypoxy (had a bear of a time matching the colour).

Now I have had the radio box tape on it only 3 times and it is flaking off again. I've fixed and painted a number of boats but this is getting to be frustrating. It is like someone soaked the wood with silicon.

Any pointers or suggestions would be welcome as I'm all tapped out.

Also, anyone out there got any K&B Superpoxy red they may want to part with, I gave away the only can I had to a member on IW?
Did you seal the wood with epoxy before the primer?

Since Hobbypoxy and K&B stopped making the epoxy paints, I have been using KlassKote. I don't know how well their red matches the Superpoxy but the catalyst is interchangeable.

Back