? for TK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe_Knesek said:
Terry, how far into the pipe do you go with the internal stinger?
79055[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Joe I done internal stingers for years and put them at the mid point of pipes maximum diameter.

Scott

Joe: I believe Terry is putting them in to just behind the weld. And, he's also drilling them with a small hole just where the pipe tapers down and the internal stinger starts inside. This little hole is just for draining purposes and is only drilled into the internal stinger and not through the pipe. Check with him still but I'm almost positive this is the way his own are done. Oh ya... Drill out the stinger and use tubing that will maintain the origional stinger size. Don't just reduce the stinger size by inserting the internal piece. Hope this makes sence.

RJ.

I was reading in the "Two Stroke Tuners Handbook" on this issue, The "Handbook"

was loaded on this site by Topfuel443. It states that "there was no notable change

in performance with the "inside stinger" in the full back or in the full forward

position but a noticeable drop with the stinger inlet "halfway" in the "baffle cone"

But when the "inlet" was slightly forward of "the weld" as we call it,,a slight

increase was noticed" :D OOPs, that was wrong,,"when it was pushed foward

of the "weld" it showed less sensitivity to stinger length" :ph34r:

Gene! Did ya Hear That?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jerry,

My post on the stinger mod, I stated no difference in performance, but less bark on the water running.

Im doing it rather than adding on a muffler ;)

APBA rule is 92 DB

Gene :D

Slideblues said:
Hey Jerry,My post on the stinger mod, I stated no difference in performance, but less bark on the water running.

Im doing it rather than adding on a muffler  ;)

APBA rule is 92 DB

Gene  :D

79144[/snapback]

Hey Slidey, Ya Ol' Codlicker :lol: Ya got moved alright 'ay?

I was ( i know it makes it quieter :blink: ) reffering to how far the inlet end goes

into the "baffle or convergance cone",,Ya Cone :lol: How far does yours go "up

the tailpipe" :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: My tailpipe is clogged with something fer sure, maybe C4 might free it up............BLOOEY!!!! :p

STD Irwin J pipe insert 3 5/8" with the last 1/8 at the exit (stock length stinger) secured with a little JB Weld.

The move is in motion, signed paperwork and boxing up stuff,

Next week gonna take off till its done, pull the plug on utilities etc,

Sheeeeesh Im tired already ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: "BLOOEY",,,Your as Bad as I Am :lol:

Yeah,,3 5/8's,,RIGHT ON!

I've been learnin' alot with that book,,Did the formula for pipe length on my TT's

And it came out right on the "button",,so I went around and "taped" all my pipes

and found a couple,UHO's. The thing I read about pipes is that the "strongest"

"returning wave" is almost half the way "out" the "baffle cone" and that distance

is subtracted after doin' the formula. Another thing,,JUST LIKE I THOUGHT MOST

OF MY LIFE is that the "tuned" length starts at the exhaust "face" of the piston :)

Jerry,

Yes the proper measurement is the exhaust port. We have been measuring from the glowplug because it's easier at the lake. We have also (we being most people I know) been measuring to the bead on the pipe because it is easy to do at the lake. If you use the formulas you have to measure to the center of the convergent cone to get the best average. Anybody disagree? I did a lot of dyno testing in the early 90s and the formula works very well to figure theoretical length.

The problem with theoretical length is that it does not take into consideration the load of the PARTICULAR boat that it is pushing. The bottom line is ALWAYS how short can the pipe be run and the model still stays up on the pipe when the model is in the corners. A deep vee will typically need to have a pipe length about an inch longer that a rigger just so the deep vee can be strong in the corners. The book is great. I have had one for years. Keep in mind the engine manufacturers are quite skilled in engines too.

John

OK!,,I'm Out From Behind Couch Now :lol: Everytime I think I've learned sumthin'

I get "John Finch" :lol: :lol: I've Got Nuthin' But Shirts With Holes in em :lol: :p

Well I've Never done any Dyno work , and I'll bet most haven't either,,,But What

I wonder about,,How many pipe maufactures( in our hobby) done that kinda work?

I trust the Engine manufacturers,,I've ran their products,,some are just better than

others, (so what else is new) but theres so many pipes and so many engines,,and

with limited knowledge finding the right combo can be long and expensive. I'm

starting to learn now that I can use one of my pipes and by using the "math " that

I didn't know before I can alter the engine to get the most out of the pipe I have.

With that I can be in the "ball park" like I never was before.

I did notice one thing John while reading this book is that our header Inside diameters seem to be a bit small according to the book info. The info tends more to a larger dia,,like in the neihborhood of a 150% of the exhaust port window.

What are your thoughts on that area?? :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Increase yer exhaust port 150% Dang that gunna hurt!!!!!! Ud sound like a tuba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

K back ta techno stuffins,

Gener :D

No,,The "header"ID Ya Nimrod :lol:

That John Finch is probably not gonna respond Now <_<

He's kinda like a "Gator", He slides back into the water see,,and in a couple

days when your talkin' and not payin' attention,,HE COMES FLYIN" OUTA THE

WATER AND BITES YA IN THE A$$ :lol: :lol: That'll Open Your Exhaust Port For

YA Gene :p

Yea dat cummin frum a NorWest Meadow Muffin :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im reminded of a post bout Irwin inlet dia.....Sheeesh lets not go there again :wacko:

Would be happy to hear John's comments too ;)

Slideblues said:
Yea dat cummin frum a NorWest Meadow Muffin  :p     :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
Im reminded of a post bout Irwin inlet dia.....Sheeesh lets not go there again    :wacko:

79183[/snapback]

Well,,He is an engineer :huh: And I didn't think that "Book" would become a point

of contention,,but it does say that the "ever increasing" "inlet Dia" lead in pipe

does have a strong function :ph34r: You can see I'm "ducking" right now :lol:

Ya know... I think Rod G was sayn something once bout using a different header worth 3 mph....Aerotech maybe,

Crap cant remember,

I just wan't John Finch to know that I'm working on the Thunder Tigers,not exactly

a Major performer the way they come.But theres a Major Fire in those little things

thats just "beggin" to come out :eek:

Yep think there is a lot of potential there too :D

But if ya want Zoom Zoom: Rossi/Irwin is nice too :p

hehehehehehe

JEEESE! I Walked Into That One :lol:

Hey we're usin' the same pipe though :D But my stinger is sleeved to .244

and it sticks out past the aluminum about 1/2 in :blink: fuel pressure I guess

Jeeeeez almost hate to ask yours got the 5/8 inlet :lol:

Back