Flowmeter?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also help find your needle quicker when you travel a good distance from home to race at a different altitude.

I've been out of town a bit. Sorry for the late reply, but here's the litany as best I know. A lot of guys use an air density meter (expensive) in conjunction with the flowmeter. The problem is it doesn't take into account humidity (water vapor is less dense than air) so... to do it right one must take into account temp, baro pressure and humidity... ergo you practically have to set up a nini-weather station to take these readings at the site and exact time you are running. A reliable flowmeter will always get you in the ballpark if you are aware of the weather trends and also the height above sea level. Yes elevation is a factor (just observe guys who travel over 200 miles to race at Atlanta). I have a formula that the motorcycle racers use to select their metering tubes to get max performance. Frankly for us (with remote needles) it is nothing more than a high-tech P.I.A. Also it is necessary to keep notes on settings vs weather conditions, unless one has a phenominal memory for numbers. That's where the bearing thing comes in... if you notice you are neediong steadily increasing (richer) flow rates to get the same performance chances are the bearings are going south. This warning, if heeded, will come way before the usual "physical" incicators arrive. As far as meters are concerned, I only know of two types. One uses a Magnihelic with a ball & tube flow indiactor (expensive). The other uses a standard pressure guage for the standard and a blood pressure guage as the flow meter. I have used both and prefer the latter as it is about 3 times a sensitive. I also have plans for this setup. Hope this helps. : :) Rich

Hi Rich,

What would it take to get a copy of the plans for a flow meter? I searched the net, but I found nothing. :(

Also can you tell me what scale the meters are on the magnihelic type. This way I can price out parts for one.

Thanks! Dale P.

anyone have experience with this one? ???

http://www.rossisales.com/specialtools.html

airbox1.gif

Been a while since I looked, but I think the desired scale on the magnihelic is 1-30 but since that meter is use to "standardize" the pressure the goes thru the actual flow meter (you choose that on your unit) the scale doesn't matter too much. The unit pictured is Bill McGraw's at Rossi Sales (Speedmaster Products). This is the one I prefer and have the plans for. Bill and I go back about 25 years and I was given the setup before he started producing them for sale so I don't think he will hollar at me for sharing it. I have no problem with "personal use sharing", but I do have a very cold spot in my heart for those who copy other people's ideas or designs for profit. Send me you e-mail address... [email protected] > :( > :(

I think it's made by Dayton (or some such) and is a plastic bead the floats up and down a glass tube with the varying air flow. I think the #'s are grad in tenths and they go from like 0-20. The meter, obviously, must be vertical to work. Not nearly as sensitive as the sphygnomanometer type.

8) HEY ZIMMY . VERY NICE REPLY , THIS IS THE ONE I HAVE USED FOR ABOUT TEN YRS NOW , I WOULD NOT TRARDE IT FOR A MAGNAHELIC , I HAD ONE AND IT IS EXSPENSIVE , AND I FIND IT NOT THAT RELIABLE . THIS ONE YOU CAN BUILD FOR ABOUT 80.00 BUCKS , AND IT WILL GET YOU WHERE YOU NEED BE , J. IRWIN

Hey if your planning to build a flow meter you are going to need a blood pressure meter. I found some on E-Bay new in the box with a buy it now price of $3.75 + $2.50 for shipping! Alot cheaper than buying the a whole blood pressure kit. I bought one and I see the seller has two more for sale.

Check it out, auction # 2569734921

Back