Flow Meter numbers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Lamb

I just purchased the 3rd generation flow meter from Boris Mazor.Does anyone have any numbers for this unit that has flowed a CMB45rs or CMB67 greenhead?I would appreciate very much.I got some numbers to start but they were for the 2nd generation flow meter.Thanks for any help.

I have the same unit you do,and my cmb45rs measured between 57-60 air temp91 degrees humidity 77% at 15 ft above sea level. Start at 57 andf you will be really close to where the motor wants to be.

It's one thing to have some sort of a starting number but you are working backwards.

The best way to utilize this meter (I have one) is to put your boat in the water & play with the carb settings until your boat is running the way you want it to run. Then - once you are satisfied with the way it is running - flow the meter & get a reading. You

now have your base setting matched to your engine. The next time you go out to run - before you start running - - flow the carb & adjust it to that base reading. I have a third channel needle on my carb & when we start running we flow the carb & adjust to that base setting & then give it a few clicks rich & then give final adjust while boat is running. This way you will really be in the money every time.

rodney, i hava a gen 2 boris meter. my sport k&b's (water cooled/can muffler/gold carb) flow at around 85, & the cmb's are 88 to 100. gold head TT ob at 88, greenieLS ob at 96 & greenie LS evo2 in my jae at 100.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy cow. OK. I will have to figure this thing out then. I have a 12 volt air pump here, plenty capable (or so I thought) but they are flowing much lower numbers. I might have to add a second pump. My .21's are flowing like 22 on one, and 34 on the other. Ill have to mess around abit more here.

The new Gen 3A unit can operate at 5V or 6V. I understand that each setting creates a different mount of flow from the pump and hence a different flow number. If that is wrong, please correct me. I went from a Gen 1 to a Gen 3A and the numbers are considerably different using 6V. Starting over for me.

I have a Gen 3 and I checked it with other ones and the readings are not the same on 4 of them that I checked.On my 21;s read around 130-135

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps I need more air volume or air? This pump flows 2 l/min of air. Might have to get another one and run them both. I will have to mess around with it here tonight for a while

I doubt that any of the gens or originals will work together or give the same consistant numbers across the scale. Boris makes a very good quality instrument but to make them that consistant would be extrememly difficult at the price!

If you were to change the length of hose from the instrument to your carb, or use a different diameter would make a huge difference in the reading. Even the material the hose is made from will make a difference.

All things being as consistant as possible the readings must stay with the specific meter.

g

I use mine in the same manner as herbn, I also agree with Dave Roach and Greg Hahn, I have tested mine side by side with several others and the readings are not the same between units.My .21 all run the best between 65 and 70 on my meter. Mine is a gen 2.

right. I know that the numbers will differ from meter to meter, but I figured I would be closer then that atleast. I just tried it without a bleed off valve, and the numbers are much better. I got 34 on the same needle that I got 22 on last night, and 42 on the one I got 34 on last night. Hook it up to 14 volts, and I get even more air. So im thinking a dual pump setup will give me more volume of air, I would like to have more volume, to give me a little better scale.

rodney, trying to match another meter's readings/range will drive ya crazy, as has been posted. use what you have, as long as it's consistent, youir readings will work with your motors B) .

I doubt that any of the gens or originals will work together or give the same consistant numbers across the scale. Boris makes a very good quality instrument but to make them that consistant would be extrememly difficult at the price!

If you were to change the length of hose from the instrument to your carb, or use a different diameter would make a huge difference in the reading. Even the material the hose is made from will make a difference.

All things being as consistant as possible the readings must stay with the specific meter.

g
Greg is right my number could be off as many as 20 points. Use your own meter and record numbers. Great meter but mist be used correctly

what greg said is very true. different hoses will cause a change in readings. don't ask me how i know :p .....i keep the hose in the box with the meter & hook it up the same way & place every time, now. it do matter!!!

Latest posts

Back