Flex shafts for LSH class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Does any one use the .150'' diameter flex shafts for this class or do they cause to much drag ? I have these there great in my .12 nitro riggers. Any info would be great.

I think .150 is a little over kill but it should be OK if you have it laying around. I have a great setup using 1/16 wire and it works really well.

LOU said:
I think .150 is a little over kill but it should be OK if you have it laying around.  I have a great setup using 1/16 wire and it works really well.
102330[/snapback]

i thought about the same thing when i started to re-outfit my LSH, going up to a .150 in case at some point i want to go P-Sport Hydro with my Harvey built Finlay Atlas 26.5" LSH and i'm gonna do it...

i'm become'n an over-kill sort a fella as time and $$$ go by...

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
I use .130 with a 9xl and 45mm prop on 16cells. No problems in two years. I think .150 is over kill.

Pagemaster said:
I use .130 with a 9xl and 45mm prop on 16cells. No problems in two years. I think .150 is over kill.
102349[/snapback]

we talking monos or hydros here? the reason i'm going up to a .150 flex is this...

1) the shaft on a hydro is hung under the bottom of the boat supported only by the prop strut and subject to all sorts of stresses, mechanical and environmental...

2) on most hydros, the motor is mounted further forward than in a mono and you are dealing with a longer shaft run...

with a .150 shaft, i can go to a stronger prop strut and stiffer shaft log all the way around as a measure agaist whip'n the shaft...

if you've ever broken a prop strut on a hydro, you know the carnage that follows...

it's all opinion...

IMO... the little, if any, power loss i might get from a properly installed .150 flex shaft and a bigger-stronger prop strut is worth the added strength to the drive line, especially if i ever deceide to transform my LSH into a P-Sport Hydro...

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

After many years of racing sport hydros I would say .130 flex is more than enough to do the job on any 12 cell setup. Some of my sport boats have 14" shafts in them and all of them have s bends in the stuffing tubes. I think my most extream setup is an Aveox 36/30/1.5 twisting a P747 prop. ;)

Paul.

Quote: By Paul P.

" I think my most extream setup is an Aveox 36/30/1.5 twisting a P747 prop. "

Would that be for P-sport Paul <_< I have to try that.

Funny you ask about .150 cable in an LSH.

I have used a .150 cable for 2 years, polished, no teflon. Yes overkill.

Now I need a good stable hull!

Ahh Paul, secrets! Hey Backemf, I ran 3 perfect heats and won the P sport class with a Hacker C50 8XL and M445. Also the Only P sport out of all 37 at the event to run in the high 50's for 5 laps. I never had one boat in front of me the whole class. Paul did we race??? I've seen your boat run and you are fast as snot. It is a killer setup. Like we always say there is more then one way to do something and they both may be right!

Speaking of setups, how much help am I going to get from you when I build my 1/8th. I want to be just like you in that one. I didn't know that was a modified kit boat until Dennis told me. I might be able to swing it as something like that might be in the family budget! Do you think my 225o 10 turn would work in that boat? It looke the most free running of any I saw.

Hope all is well!

Dick

Oh ya,

I'm not sure 150 cable will cost you the race. I swing a Y547 and run a 130 cable on that boat but 150 wouldn't be a bad idea. I run 150 on all of my other 12 and up boats. I think I did twist a cable on my LSH at SAW's come to think of it.

Dick

crowebar said:
I never had one boat in front of me the whole class. Paul did we race???
103987[/snapback]

I still say you cheated! :D

Yeah .150 is overkill.

Same here .130 cable with S bend and even ran it in Q same cable.

Hi Dick,

My Atlas did start life as a Dumas kit. Would I do it again? No! I plan on building another but I'll cut it from good plans. ;) As far as the 2250 I couldn't say, in a really light boat it should work but I think Dennis tried one in his Bud and didn't have much luck.

You can count on all the help you need. :D

Paul.

Dick I think the 2250/10 would be to hot of a motor and not enough motor size wise for a 1/8th in my opinion. are you planning on 32 cells or less?

the 2250 may work but, I think you would end up with to small of a prop and you would be falling on your face in the turns but, Hey its worth a shot

Latest posts

Back