FireFighter Gas first runs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will ! good show .. even if its not the fastest like you said , i think its running pretty decent , stable , and great in the turns . finding speed with other props is the game ! so far it looks good .. i hope mine will run as good as yours in the first run ! GOOD JOB !

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen. I guess for my first "real" experience with riggers i cant be too unhappy with it. Id thought maybe would get some pointers for it around here...but i guess id have to put a nitro motor in it for that.

I can help with boat not running right questions...... your looks fine right now..... but gas engines I too am learning!

Only real issues with it is it runs with the front sponsons barely on the water... and it wants to pull to the right pretty bad, and wanting to plow on the launch and throw water up into the carb (but since its my own built cowl...thats my fault, im redoing it a bit right now).

In the video i was running 7" from tub to inside of sponsons (19" inside from sponson to sponson) using a cut down Zippkits hydro turn fin. Will table it later this week to find out AOA on sponsons and some other info Charles wants me to get for him. Boat is built according to the plans, other then tub was narrowed a little (4.5" inside, 5" outside).

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting mine up now and I do not recall the dimensions being 7" I believe them to be 6" and 6.25". I also hanve a 1/8 shim under front and rear booms as per Tom. Will let you know how it runs hopefully this weekend. Jerry BTW did you set up the strut as per the drawings? There is a table line you need to follow for the strut.

A lot of that stuff is in the setup.... just a guess... it's kinda hard to tell from the description but adding a 1/8" shim to the rear tube might help. when first starting I usually take big adjustments to get it close then keep making smaller and smaller ones to it works just right.

i dont know who Jerry is, but i dont have the drawing as i didnt buy the plans, i had someone else build me the boat that already did. I have the strut set with centerline of shaft level with the bottom of the sponsons.

Set your front sponson angle of attack to 3.8* on the left sponson and 4.0* on the right sponson , set you strut 1/16 lower than your read sponsons and leave it flat , angle your turn fin upward just ever so , that means the trailing edge of the turn fin will be down ward very slightly , and if the boat pulls to the right angle the strut 2* by putting shims under the right side of the strut ( when looking at the rear of the boat from the back ) the shims will go uner the 2 bolts that hold the strut onto the boat , you can also tip the front of the turn fin sponson 1/16'' inward at the front.

Hope this helps you

Set your front sponson angle of attack to 3.8* on the left sponson and 4.0* on the right sponson , set you strut 1/16 lower than your read sponsons and leave it flat , angle your turn fin upward just ever so , that means the trailing edge of the turn fin will be down ward very slightly , and if the boat pulls to the right angle the strut 2* by putting shims under the right side of the strut ( when looking at the rear of the boat from the back ) the shims will go uner the 2 bolts that hold the strut onto the boat , you can also tip the front of the turn fin sponson 1/16'' inward at the front.
Hope this helps you

Thanks Mike. I do still need to table the boat and find out what the AOA is at, unless Bruce knows (who built it) or if Tom knows since it was built per the plans. I did have the right sponson toe'd in a little bit, but still had to give it a pretty good amount of left correction to get it to track straight. I have a 2* shim i had for my cat but was unsure if that would cause any ill handling effects with rigger, as i had issues with the right sponson on my cat dropping real bad with strut shimmed (now on that boat i just have strut offset 3/16" to the right with no shim and it tracks straight with no correction).

Also when you say strut 1/16 under the rear sponsons, do you mean the bottom of the strut, or the centerline. As it is now, the bottom of strut is probably 1/8 under the sponsons with centerline being even with the bottom of sponsons.

Hope this helps you

Thanks Mike. I do still need to table the boat and find out what the AOA is at, unless Bruce knows (who built it) or if Tom knows since it was built per the plans. I did have the right sponson toe'd in a little bit, but still had to give it a pretty good amount of left correction to get it to track straight. I have a 2* shim i had for my cat but was unsure if that would cause any ill handling effects with rigger, as i had issues with the right sponson on my cat dropping real bad with strut shimmed (now on that boat i just have strut offset 3/16" to the right with no shim and it tracks straight with no correction).

Also when you say strut 1/16 under the rear sponsons, do you mean the bottom of the strut, or the centerline. As it is now, the bottom of strut is probably 1/8 under the sponsons with centerline being even with the bottom of sponsons.

Bottom of the strut , i have had to use the 2* shim trick on the strut in the past and it work very well and you get to keep the rudder strait and by doing this you will pick up speed.

Will,

Try offsetting the left sponson too, that made the most difference on mine, I have my purple boat offset an inch and a half, still has some right pull but very slight at speed. Under acceleration they pull badly to the right, at speed they pull a lot less if at all.

mike sr

well ran again today...better speeds with a 10* 2716/2.. launched fairly easy, milled down nice and jumps right up....but even with 2* shim behind strut, right sponson toe'd in slightly and left sponson offset it still has a pretty decent pull to the right. Guess i will try a different turn fin, but for now i'll have to deal with it as i have a race next weekend.

Hello Rigged I also ran mine for the first time this weekend and had some great success. I had a 2818 and a 2716 15 degree which worked better the 2818 masde it hop thru the turns. I have some questions do you have any shims under the booms? And if so what size. Also what rudder are you using and is it extended or standard? Mine is standard and it hits the rear sponson if I bang a hard right. Well it doesn't hit but it is real close and also reduces my throw. Let me know what you think Jerry

Im using a speedmaster short standoff setup...puts the leading edge of the rudder blade right behind the edge of the rear sponson. No i dont have any shims under the boom tubes...running it just the way the plans says to put them. I have a race coming up this weekend and going to test adding 1/16 shims under the rear boom tube during open water friday til i find where it likes it. Right now im running a 2716/2 10* and it doesnt do anything stupid in the turns and is real good on clean water, but as soon as it hits the wake from another boat (only boats ive tested with out in the water were gas cats and mono's) its popping the front sponsons a good few inches off the water bout doing a wheelie.

mono.s make big dirty holes in the water .. a race with just hydro.s is much mor friendly .. you should see the rough water after a 8 lap mono heat ..!

good luck on your race, ,, post results !~

Jeroen

thanks Jeroen. I'll let ya know how she does. Maybe ill get some pics so you can finally add my pics on the BigD site!

Yeah i know all about the rough water after a mono heat. Find out real quick just how well you have your boat trimmed.

Well the race wasnt a good first one for the rigger. I was plagued with problem after problem with it. Open water on friday i sheered a flywheel key and popped the flywheel off. Got it back together and had it running pretty well...although still buck wild loose in race water, and even worse...the crank was bent wobbling the flexshaft. I decided to keep running it anyway, and on the last lap in 3rd heat of open hydro it was blazin and then all hell broke loose and it whipped the stuffing tube all through the boat. Pretty much took about a 2x8 chunk out of the bottom of the boat. Tach showed it turned 20,000 in that run.. i guess it didnt like that much. LOL!

Anyway, i got it pretty much all fixed now... and in the meantime i raised the rear boom tube 1/8" to try and get it to calm down some. Soon as my new shaft for it comes i will test again with my CC Racing 260 in it.

Will , did you do any more runs ?

mine is getting there , just another week and i can pic it up from the pain shop .. i want to run her in 3 weeks ..

Jeroen

Will , did you do any more runs ?
mine is getting there , just another week and i can pic it up from the pain shop .. i want to run her in 3 weeks ..

Jeroen

No still waiting on new flexshaft. It twisted the original one up like a pretzel. Soon as it comes im gonna try gettin back to the pond to see what it will do with my CC zen, since my QD is in pretty bad shape right now.

Back