fiberglass question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

What's the best resin to use on an aeromarine hull? epoxy or polyester? Thanks in advance Carl

It really depends on what the hull was made with originally. From what I've heard/read, you can use epoxy or polyester on an epoxy/glass hull but you can only use polyester on a polyester/glass hull. Since I don't do a lot of glass work, I don't have any first hand experience on this so I'm not going to claim that to be 100% accurate

Mark (Hydro Junkie) pretty much has it right! If you are doing a repair on the boat , regardless of what it is made of, Polyester, Vinyl ester or Epoxy, and i believe that Aeromarine hulls are made polyester, Epoxy by far, makes the strongest bond. Be sure to abrade the area to be repaired. Polyester resin will also work, and is a little more user friendly, but not as strong as Epoxy.

As was just mentioned no matter what it was made from a good epoxy will give you a better bond and stronger repair.

The adhesion you get with epoxy far surpasses that of polyester even when used on polyester.

You generally would not want to use polyester on a epoxy hull except for gelcoats.

Aeromarine is polyester but epoxy would still be best. Polyester can delaminate later while epoxy is much less likely.

Last edited:
you might be better using a mix of ply and cloth even a hard foam nose filled shape to get the lines you need. use thin stringer to reinforce joint seems

One of the most important things to remember is chopped strand mat cannot be used with epoxy. The 'binder' in chop strand is dissolved by polyester resin. I don't use chop in any of my boat builds.

Latest posts

Back