FE for AC Lazer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Pun

I have built two AC Lazer hulls, one for Zenoah 26cc and the other for Zenoah 29cc.

Planning to change the 26cc boat into electric, my initial thinking is to use 8-10S, though a 240HV and Neu 1527 1y motor.

Any comments are welcome.

Gilbert

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?37059-powering-large-boats-with-electric

Heres a thread on the OSE forum that has just what your doing. I have considered converting a Stryker cat to FE. The more I read and with my experience so far I would say the larger 56XX diameter motor and less KV's would give more torque and push larger diameter props. Good luck and keep posting your results. Maybe you'll get more action on the FE forum.

Mic

8-10S is a good choice for a hull over 40 inches but 1527 1Y is more appropriate for a boat in the mid to upper 30" hull length on 6S power. It's a very versatile motor but a little small for a Lazer. I don't know too much about bigger FE applications but spend some time on OSE and you'll find som good theads on building bigger boats. Mic gave you a good first thread to look at.

Hi Gilbert

I run an Insane mono with a NEU 2215 2Y ( 750 KV ). A NEU 1527 1Y is really a 6 - 7 S motor if your oval racing in a 40" hull . Some very experienced guys get away with running it on 8 S and small props . A CC 2028 ( KV is 780 as I remenber ) is a good choice too .

A CC 2028 on 8S you can run your Gas Props . Best bet is as large a NEU 22 series motor as you can afford . Keep the KV under 850 for 10S . I run a CC 2028 in a Jersey Skiff on 8 or 10 cells .

Fe is'nt more difficult then Gas or nitro , Its just different . There is a learning curve .

Dick Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

My second thought is putting a 5694 motor, whether 1000kv or 1200kv is better for the Lazer, and for prop? Can a 180amp ESC handle the current?

Gilbert

If I didnt want to spend the big bucks on a Neu, I would seriously take a look at the Castle 2028. 780kv. A little over $200 at Tower. Thats a geat deal for that kind of power and it's a quality motor. KV depends on whether you run 8S or 10S. Higher voltage means less amp draw for the same amount of power output. You'll probably want to keep the no load RPM under 30K (# of cells x 3.7 x motor kv). Big RPM's mean alot of heat. That will force you to either keep runs short or run a smaller prop than you hull will be happy with. Allot of this is FE 101 but I'll keep my yap shut now and let the guys with big boat FE experience help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a big lepord when they first came out , probably a 5692 , probably 1000 kv . I also bought a used mono , looked like a 45" Cyber Storm Copy. My friend Gary built it . He runs it on a Seaking 130 HV and a X452 on 8S1P turnigy 40C 5000s . Its nearly as fast as the G1 monos .He made coolers for the motor wires , the hottest part of the set up. The ESC stays cool . No need for anything bigger . The ESCs have been bullet proof for us, much like the 180 .

If looking for a budget set up , this worked good for us .

If I didnt want to spend the big bucks on a Neu, I would seriously take a look at the Castle 2028. 780kv. A little over $200 at Tower. Thats a geat deal for that kind of power and it's a quality motor. KV depends on whether you run 8S or 10S. Higher voltage means less amp draw for the same amount of power output. You'll probably want to keep the no load RPM under 30K (# of cells x 3.7 x motor kv). Big RPM's mean alot of heat. That will force you to either keep runs short or run a smaller prop than you hull will be happy with. Allot of this is FE 101 but I'll keep my yap shut now and let the guys with big boat FE experience help you out.
Good information, thanks

I bought a big lepord when they first came out , probably a 5692 , probably 1000 kv . I also bought a used mono , looked like a 45" Cyber Storm Copy. My friend Gary built it . He runs it on a Seaking 130 HV and a X452 on 8S1P turnigy 40C 5000s . Its nearly as fast as the G1 monos .He made coolers for the motor wires , the hottest part of the set up. The ESC stays cool . No need for anything bigger . The ESCs have been bullet proof for us, much like the 180 .

If looking for a budget set up , this worked good for us .
I think I can similar parts locally, probably go your way, thank you all

Gilbert

Just managed to order a 5694, 800Kv motor, using the 240HV ESC, I'll try to put this into the AC Lazer using 8S or 10S.

it was running well for awhile using 10C, but got the 240HV ESC burnt when switching to 12C!
is the esc you were using rated for 12c as it would be in the 45v + range with fully charged batterys.

sometimes it is better to run less c to prevent burnout when near max settings of your electronics.

It was the Castle 240 HV ESC and rated as 50Volts, using 10 cells (i.e.10S1p) with no problems but the ESC got burnt when switched to 12 cells (12S1P). I was pushing a 459 CNC prop on the AC Laser.

Latest posts

Back