FE classic thunderboat setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan levy

Hi guys, I read about some electric Classic Thunderboats out west / wondering what the usual setup is? (Motor/cells) thanks

Jordan,

I built one a couple years ago using a Hyperformance hull. I ran a Castle 2028 motor, MGM 40063 controller and either 8S2P to swing gas size props or 10S2P to swing Sport 60 size props. It was smoother running higher RPM's, but the 3/16" prop shaft was the weak point. I used 1/4" cable with a square coupler at the motor end like a gas motor. The motor was placed up front where the engine would be. Controller directly on top or behind the motor and the batteries close to the CG in the center between the rails.

TG

DSC_4755.JPG

DSC_4757.JPG

DSC_4759.JPG

This boat would run about 68-70, but was flighty in rough water. I also overpowered it a little too much which did not help. The Castle 2028 with a gas size prop on 8S would be a fun yet competitive set-up.

This was the first test run with a prop that lifted too much.

TG

Hi ,

nice boat. i ever wonder wy to use the flexcable in hydroplanes ? Fullsize Hydros are designed for streight shaft and they can run with it . i have run hydroplanes allways with straight shaft and they do not jump or lift to much.

Originally, all R/C boats, including hydros, did run hard shafts. When I got into scale boats in the early 90s, flex cables were just starting to show up. What made the flex cables desirable was that the cable was easier to install and set up. Hard shafts required nearly perfect alignment between the strut, stuffing box and engine coupling. Any variance in alignment resulted in power robbing drag that could and did affect the performance of the boat. Since cables were able to bend, alignment became a non-issue and actually allowed the thrust angle and lift to be optimized without having to totally remove the stuffing box to make a change

Last edited by a moderator:
Other reasons for flex cables include the ability to easily change the thrust angle and prop depth - this made a huge difference for most boaters. Prior to flex cables we had to use articulated drives with U-joints to get straight back thrust - far more efficient than an angled straight shaft. If we wanted to change the aoa of the boat we either moved the prop up or down the shaft, or added/removed lift from the prop. There are good reasons why the fastest R/C hydros in the world do not run solid shafts. If full-scale hydros could find reliable flex shafts they would run them too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back