Fast mono build XLX Hydra

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Eades

Here's what I got so far for my real fast mono. I took a lot of guidance from the members here when it came to picking the parts.
Hull: Dyshop
Motor: TP 4070 1700kv
ESC: Castle XLX Hydra
Battiers: 8s Gens Ace 6800 4s 2P

The goal for the build is to simply take flight. Enjoy, and follow along for an update on how this overpowered pig disintegrates.

-Ryan

Attachments

• 20221001_221622.jpg
    20221001_221622.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221001_221616.jpg
    20221001_221616.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Update:
Did some more fitting, everything's starting to come together here. Had to cut down the esc tray to fit the motor, but besides that was pretty straight forward.

Question- what would be the optimal orientation of the battery's? I had planed to push them all the way forward and to the sides, as it'll probably need it. But the esc takes up all of the battery tray.

Attachments

• 20221002_155954.jpg
    20221002_155954.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221002_155938.jpg
    20221002_155938.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
The battery position will vary depending on your CG location. A good target is 30-35%. It looks like you will have a hard time hitting that number with the batteries that far forward. If they can fit either side of the motor/ESC, I would recommend running velcro the entire length so you can scoot them forward or back to adjust the CG. You may need to position your XLX2 inline with the motor to do so.

Also make sure to support the lead end of the motor.

The battery position will vary depending on your CG location. A good target is 30-35%. It looks like you will have a hard time hitting that number with the batteries that far forward. If they can fit either side of the motor/ESC, I would recommend running velcro the entire length so you can scoot them forward or back to adjust the CG. You may need to position your XLX2 inline with the motor to do so.

Also make sure to support the lead end of the motor.
Thanks for the tips Tyler,
So ive messed around with this thing for the better half of the day. I added fiberglass to reinforce the motor mount along with the bottom of the hull. I cannot fit the batteries any other way. I turned the Hydra in line with the motor and cut out the upper deck supports to see if I could squeeze the ESC between the batteries. That seemed to be the ticket.
Ill see if I can move them any further back and find a way to support the rear end of the can

Another option is to move the ESC to the left side of the motor and scoot the batteries up against the motor. Alternatively you can make a mount that allows the ESC to sit on top of the motor. That will take some custom setup, but might be worth it. It's hard to tell from the pics how much room you have on top of the motor under the cowl.

Another option is to move the ESC to the left side of the motor and scoot the batteries up against the motor. Alternatively you can make a mount that allows the ESC to sit on top of the motor. That will take some custom setup, but might be worth it. It's hard to tell from the pics how much room you have on top of the motor under the cowl.
I've thought about that. There's just no room in this hull, has a very skinny freeboard so this will have to be the way it runs.

Back