fake side exhaust

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knbaudio

hey guys i have this steve muck boat and there are hole in the side of the hatch i'd like to fill in with fake side pipes looking for ideas and how to make if you all have any and would like to share. thanks kyle

full cowl or stacks??? sport 40 is roughly 10th scale and i do make a set in 10th

I have just finished up molds for a complete MERLIN in 10th as a prototype for thunderboat 1/6th scale this is cast in resin and foam and is lighter then balsa

here are some pics of the stacks and 1/10th scale motor, if you want to do it yourself send me an email at [email protected] I could perhaps offer some points on how I do it, bear in mind it is one way not the only way there are Many Many builders here that exceed my skills, and I am sure they will chime in.

rollsmerlin007.jpg

rollsmerlin003.jpg

rollsmerlin004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it a full cowling well when i get done fixing and and filling in hole from someone elses hack job i was trying to get a cowling from steve muck but haven't heard back from him so i'm not sure if he is still doing boats as much and last i heard from john borden he didn't have the cowling molds. so i'm fixing this one three holes are filled in and the oval ones on the sides are in the right spot for exhaust tips. i have to make a rear hatch and add a lip to the old cowling so i can open the deck to 5" for all the new hardware. wieght wise i haven't added any yet just strenght but the cowling might wieght more when done because it was hacked on and paper thin in other spots. i was thinking of using brass tubing and making stacks but wanted to see what people were doing.

Your brass tubing idea is kinda what I have done on the past,

But instead of brass (HEAVY) i use the aluminum (light) tubing you get from your hobby store and use blasa to simulate the engine block

Rick

the easiest way to make tubes or stacks might actually be plastistruct or the evergreen plastic tubes , they come in the same sizes as brass tubes, fit the same way, and go together with ca glue, they paint well, and to bend them heat up with a heat gun a little, bend and run a cold wet cloth on them to set them, do this slowly, and a little at a time to prevent crushing...

Back