Experiment #1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraghty

Take a serving spoon or tablespoon and hold loosely at the end of the handle with two fingers and back the rounded part of the spoon into a fast stream of running water out of your kitchen faucet.

What does the spoon do when it hits the stream of water?

Turns out there isn't enough global space left to add the photo.If you understand the experiment then try it.If not be patient,I will try to post it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's alot of "Drag",,funny there's much less on the concave side :blink:

So we make our "Bling Bling Blocks" like a "ski-jump" :lol: kidding :ph34r:

Hey Rod!

Well some of us don't forget those past threads. ;) Hey I got a question. You ever experiment with "two stage" or "two level" stumble blocks? Say if the block is 1 inch wide the inside half inch of the block would be 1/16" or 1/8" higher than the outside. It would only use the higher part if it needed to.

Mark

Lake S.P.O.R.T. said:
Hey Rod!
Well some of us don't forget those past threads.  ;)   Hey I got a question. You ever experiment with "two stage" or "two level" stumble blocks? Say if the block is 1 inch wide the inside half inch of the block would be 1/16" or 1/8" higher than the outside. It would only use the higher part if it needed to.

Mark

80303[/snapback]

I never have tried this.

It would be interesting to try.

I really don't know what more performance they would add to the single level type.

Jerry Wyss said:
There's alot of "Drag",,funny there's much less on the concave side :blink: So we make our "Bling Bling Blocks" like a "ski-jump" :lol: kidding :ph34r:

80302[/snapback]

Jerry,

Seriously,try backing the spoon into the stream of water.

What does the spoon do?

Rod,

The first thing that happen was, I sprayed water all over the kitchen and my wife is yelling at me for playing in the water :lol:

The water pushes down on the spoon and water travel up the handle!!! ;)

Tunnelbill said:
Rod,
    The first thing that happen was, I sprayed water all over the kitchen and my wife is yelling at me for playing in the water :lol:

The water pushes down on the spoon and water travel up the handle!!! ;)

80393[/snapback]

:lol: Im barred from the kitchen since "The Toaster Incident"

Jeeeeez, ya make one little mod and they never forget <_<

OK she just went to tha store, hehehe, hold spoon two fingers dangle,

Hmmmm seems to be flow sensitive, increase pressure....Ahhhh the spoon is drawn in and held in the stream, Cool! :D

When I put the back side of the spoon into the stream, it sucks the spoon into the water. With the cupped side in the stream, it gets repelled rather violently leading to tunnelbill's conclusion(a mad wife!!).

Charley

Rod

I tried experiment #1 with the same result as Gene & Charley. I can see where this would be very helpful in preventing blow offs. I guess my my next question is what is the optimum shape, length, & width? Gene would tell me to stick 2 teaspoons to the bottom of my tunnel. I don't think so Gene!

Ed Radz

:D Hey Ed!

Try the toaster mod, The Pop Tart fly's clean outta tha kitchen to the dining room!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

K back ta serious here ;)

Geneo :D

Geraghty said:
Jerry Wyss said:
There's alot of "Drag",,funny there's much less on the concave side :blink: So we make our "Bling Bling Blocks" like a "ski-jump" :lol: kidding :ph34r:

80302[/snapback]

Jerry,

What does the spoon do?

80388[/snapback]

Yeah,,,Draws it in,,works just like "lift" on a aircraft wing,,,OR NOT!!

I do remember Jim Auguston ( remember Him?) making "wedges"

for "stumblin'" blocks about 10 - 12 years ago. :huh:

well since it's rounded it works like a parachute creating a violent drap or load. It also pushes down not up. I used the flat side of the spoon from the handle which is perfectly square and it stream lines nice. Now I see what your getting at!

I know this test, I learned the hard way after a hull THAT WOULD NOT STAY ON THE WATER. 1/16 GAP UNDER THE STRAIT EDGE. The sponsons on the WOF hull I built are not true. The hull will be very loose. Now the Idea on a deck bottom with true sponsons maybe the KEY.

Jerry Wyss said:
Geraghty said:
Jerry Wyss said:

80302[/snapback]

Jerry,

What does the spoon do?

80388[/snapback]

Yeah,,,Draws it in,,works just like "lift" on a aircraft wing,,,OR NOT!!

I do remember Jim Auguston ( remember Him?) making "wedges"

for "stumblin'" blocks about 10 - 12 years ago. :huh:

80415[/snapback]

All humor aside <_< ,I was trying to give to you what took me 4 years,15 to 20 boats and literally hundreds of trips to the pond to learn.It is all so simple once you understand it.

Much to my chagrin,I have finally realized that you can't get there from here without going through the process.Honestly,the spoon tells it all.

What you experienced with the spoon is the Bernoulli principle.Research it.

If you are still so inclined then go to work,experiment and really understand the principle and learn how to apply it.This is my last "post" on this subject,forever.

If you have a question or want to talk about it I will be glad to discuss it on the phone or face to face but not on this G.D. computer.

Last words......I "know" this to be true.The Bernoulli principle is the only design parameter that cannot be compromised and this applies to tunnels,hydros and monos."Anything" that touches the water can and will feel the effects of the Bernoulli principle.Remember I said "ANYTHING"!

Everything else lift,CG,length,width,tunnel depth,dihedral,prop placement etc,etc,etc can all be compromised depending on boat application.If you want a boat that does "nothing stupid" and is blister fast,Bernoulli cannot be compromised.

If you have a boat that spins out,hooks,nose steers,doesn't launch worth a sxxt,will not air out,turn well or won't turn left then Bernoulli has been compromised.

There isn't a fiberglass boat made that ain't a can of compromises.

I am positive that there is more out there to be learned and yet to be discovered.

I know of one little design item right now just waiting to be found.It absolutely solves one of the tunnel boats biggest faults.

Tommy Lee discovered this item in 1996 and its success can be traced right back to the spoon.Really neither Tommy or myself never really knew what he had until about 18 months ago and by that time Tommy was no longer able to go on.I no longer have the passion or desire to continue racing at the level I once attained so this item is just going to sit here in the bank until someone earns it.

I am positive that someday somebody really dedicated into tunnel testing and design will run across this find and believe me they will have earned it.They will have to really understand what makes a tunnel boat work before they will even recognize what they are trying to solve.Right now this tunnel boat fault is just mutually accepted as the nature of the beast.

I suspect before it is done this discovery will be the next quantum step in tunnel speeds.

[side note.....Mark Anderson and I introduced Jim Auguston to the wedges on the sponson fronts at the 2nd Kingdome scale race in 1989.Mark and I put them on his boat between heats so he could get the boat through the corner.I still talk to Jim on a regular basis.

I just talked to Jim a week ago.He is retired and doing great flying his ultralite,restoring a old shovelhead Harley and riding a Honda Goldwing.

I still have Jims Winston Eagle lobster S.A.W. boat here all repaired and ready to run. 8lbs-3oz. RTR with a Picco EXR .67]

Russ Nachtweih said:
BD1
I don't get it!!!!

The only Spoon I have has holes in it :)

BD2

80473[/snapback]

Two-One here......

THE HELL YOU DON'T GET IT!!!!! :D

I am positive that Bernoulli is the only thing you do get!!! :D

What year was that I showed you the spoon at the Puyallup model show?

I was feeling sorry for you. :D By that time you and Kirk had built about 15 Sport 40's and you couldn't get a one of them around a corner. :D

I still remeber the look on your face when you saw your boat that next weekend at Waughop with overhang on the sponsons.The light went on,didn't it.

Are you ever going to let me talk to Jane so I can tell her what she is living with???

wow Rod, writing "that" musta hurt some,,like you, I don't like "pecking" these things at all. It's just so much fun having a link to others with this hobby.

I was at that "Kingdome" race in 89,,the most Impressive Model boat event I've

seen. There was a guy there that, at the time, had the fastest Sport 40 in the

Nation(I think) and "blew" it off , big time(white boat, carbon fiber I think) Probably

belonged to Anderson :lol: I didn't hear the drivers name.

My brother and I filmed that event and I watched it for years.

As to the "Effect" we're talking about,,the only thing I know that can reduce it's

effect is "turbulence" generated in some way. We can't use the "cross" or "angled"

"steps" or "cuts" in our sponson bottom's by the rules, I don't think??I may be

talkin' out my a$$ here :lol: So give me a little break :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Last Word on this Rod,,I have Printed it :)

I've Got It! "Corderoy" Sonson Bottom's :lol: :lol: <_< :huh:

well Rod, i'm not into tunnel design but i'm trying to be the best rigger designer i can. honestly i don't know where your going with this. ive researched Bernoulli on the web and have a basic understanding. now trying to apply this to an actual design is more complicated. Looking at the spoon it would be easy to understand how a boat stuffs. The spoon is sucked quite strongly into the water. That explains to me why curved sponson bottoms are not the norm on riggers.

So let's say you were trying to go faster. Bernoulli's principle says that a fall in pressure in a flowing fluid must always be accompanied by an increase in the speed. So... a spoon on the bottom of my sponsons will make me go faster until it gets to be too much and stuffs? or am i completely missing the point?

hold a flat plate in the water stream and it pushes the plate away. just like the straight in spoon.

hold the back of a spoon in the water and it sucks in.

hold a fork in the water (make sure it is going through the tines not catching the spooned part before the tines) and there is very little force applied.

kinda makes me want to place a bunch of little strips on the bottom of my sponsons to see what it does. but it's a little too cold in chicago for that :)

on one of my first riggers i made a replacement sponson. The sponson i made had a rounded bottom. The stock one was flat. It sure did a strange dance on the water!

I epoxied 46 spoons to the bottom of my Lap-Cat 2 and the result i had were very un-desirable. Have you tried the Taco-Bell "Spork"? The Spoon/Fork Combo? Post results!

I see your up lookin' around Rod, I was goin' to mention in my last post that the

"full sized" boat that I modeld( the one I'm holdin') I noticed in the picture that the "owner" (Ray Lynn) sent me,, was that the sponson ends down at the "running

serface" had a "staggared" "Piano Key" look to them,,similar to what Tom M's

statement in his last post "bunch of little strips". The "picture" I have is the only

place I've seen that "type" of design,,and it's just one shot of the boat "high at the

left rear" of the boat runnin' at speed,,and i'm not "totally" sure of what I'm looking

at :blink: OK, Ok, I'll call ya one of these coming days :lol:

Back