Eric's new .12 Rigger Prototype

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Perez

Not another shameless plug...

http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/data/506/2...t_Prototype.mpg

This is some Video of my Nitro Trident Prototype #2 your going to love that high-speed air action at the end... And yes it ran again a couple of minutes after hitting that large beer bottle. Got the boat patched up last night and it's ready for this Sunday's race!

How fast? I don't know but the pond sure got real small -real Quick! I think it's somwhere in the 50's, I will get the radar on the hull this Sunday.

Stats:

New boat design from Perez Boat Concepts

Ultra Light and strong WOF construction

Super Stable and wide foot-print

Inverted air-foil design

Super Easy Launching, never failed -not even once!

I'm building the 3rd prototype as we speak and it's looking real good.

Engine: Picco XP12

Prop: S215

Pipe: Macs 2.5

Radio: Futaba

Servo's : Hi-Tech mini's

Hardware: Fullers 2nd Generation Hydro w/ special long .130 flex from OffShoreElectrics.com

Boat is about 2lb. RTR give or take an ounce or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
THats pretty cool little rigger,

I Dont think it was in the 50s, I would say low 40s, but i could be wrong.

How about some still pics of the boat and set up?

Tom

Look out for the buoy!! :p

I would say 39 mphs... Can the person who guesses correctly get a free International Waters' sticker? :D

Charley

Man, what a rough crowd! Looks like we all have our eye-balls calibrated to a different scale. Compressed video is not exactly what you want to use to "asses" the speed of a boat. Hell, all I need to do is re-run it through the video compressor at 25 or 20FPS and it will be going 70MPH! :blink:

For the technically inclined out there: If you measure the leaving and entering angles of the boat in flight multipled by the distacnce covered divided by the amount of time in the air you will get a very accurate measurement of the boat's speed :rolleyes:

Pictures of the Nitro Trident Prototype (aka: The Bud Boat) will be coming latter tonight when I get to my secret under-ground boat building facility. :ph34r:

The 3rd prototpe, which is nearing completion, will be my master-piece. I've lost track of all the hours spent obessing on the new design -Sort of reads like a Nissan commercial ;)

You'll have to wait till it's finished before you get to see any spy-shots. I promise it will be nothing like you've ever seen before B)

Lets see the spy shots.

Not to doubt anyone with a .12 rigger, but is it possable to get to 50 with one?

If they are going that fast, i may want to build one.

i just beleive 50 out of a .12 rigger tho.

any input would be nice.

Tom

Tom, according to my prop chart, a .12 'rigger with a decent engine should be able to do 50 MPH with no sweat. For instance, using 2 props that myself and others have used figuring in a 15% slippage factor, it takes 24,000 RPM for an Octura V937/3 to hit 54 MPH and for a Prather 215, 52 MPH @ 26,000 RPM. My Fantom's are rated at 38-43,000 RPM but I really don't think that I'll ever see those numbers in my boats. I did have the HH. 12 twice at some good speeds, guesstimated in the 50 MPH range last Summer before the engine swap.

For those that can't download a 10 Meg movie

Here are some still shots of the video

Pipe: Is the very popular MACS .10-.15 Pipe

Prop: Is the "also" very popular Prather S215 (back-cut and diameter reduced to 38.5mm)

The power-to-weight ratio of some of these small-block engines is just incredible! :eek: Most of the .12 Riggers that have come to this board are between 1.5-2.5 pounds RTR, the newer small-block engines are knocking on the 1.5hp door, with no signs of stoping there!

This all makes for some very exciting times for the skunkworks .12 riggers that seem to be coming out of the wood-work. :ph34r:

It's just a matter of time before this becomes the new rage, remember you first saw it here at Intlwaters.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a .12 should be able to go 60+ with little problem. Actually, high 60's. There are two things that I see holding people back. First, is the boat design. Everybody is going way off from proven designs. (Innovation is good, but know when to quit) Second and most importantly is that most people are running a second rate motor.

Do you think a K&B in an old and out dated hull design is going to run with a MAC, Picco, CMB, or Novarossi in a SGX, Road Runner, Crapshooter, or Seaducer?

For the technically inclined out there: If you measure the leaving and entering angles of the boat in flight multipled by the distacnce covered divided by the amount of time in the air you will get a very accurate measurement of the boat's speed 
I had thought about that but I wasn't going to go there. :lol:

And you are correct that things on video can seem much slower. Do you have access to a radar gun? Doesn't really matter as long as you have fun. I tell you what, I have seen 21's that run slower tan that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Preston, what .12 motors do you think are the hot ones? We both know the problems with most of what is on the market right now, they aren't made for boats and most have the ROAR restrictions in them. I've seen motors upwards of $500.00 for a little .12, more than what most of us are willing to pay.

Saugling said:
Cool! B) Do you have ride-pads on your sponsons or not?
No, the boat has no ride-pads. There is very little contact between the spoons and the water. I could not find a trace of any spray comming off the rear-most section of the front spoons on any of the video footage. I'm really happy with the front spoons -The boat even turns left! Can't really ask for more, oh and it likes beer bottles too :D

The Nitro Trident Prototype is actually patterned after my Killer-Volt WOF Rigger that I did about a month ago. Just changed a few parameters to come up with a working Nitro design. Take a look at the pictures on the Electric boat forum and you will notice some similarities.

nitrotoys said:
I really like that boat, Are you going to be selling them?
Are you referring to the Killer-Volt or the Nitro Trident Rigger?

I have plans to have the Nitro Trident available to the general public on or before 3rd Quarter 2004. This offcourse is going to be dependant on many things.

The good news is that the CAD and prototype design work is nearing completion. The bad news is that it needs to be redone to convert the hull from WOF to a slot-n-tab construction so that building is straight-forward and the tub builds square with very little effort and/or tools.

I don't think the general public is ready for a WOF rigger? Maybe we should start a poll.

Preston, what .12 motors do you think are the hot ones? We both know the problems with most of what is on the market right now, they aren't made for boats and most have the ROAR restrictions in them. I've seen motors upwards of $500.00 for a little .12, more than what most of us are willing to pay.
Of course I am partial to the Novarossi. Whatever the new one is with 5 ports and rated at 1.65hp. I'd have to look one the box. They too are set for cars but from what I have read here there are plenty of people that know what numbers to cut into them. The NR is slightly under $300 and I agree that it is not a cheap motor but in proportion to other engines it is right on line. The point I was making is that if you sacrifice in the build of the boat then you should not expect to run at the front of the pack, meaning don't expect to go 60+.

All of the IMPBA A hydro records were set with a near stock NR.

Here are some Spy-shots of the next design prototpye.

Just a few more steps before hardware is hanging out the back.

Ended up moving the engine back a bit to get clearance for the fuel tank.

Also removed the rear-shoes from the design.

Already working the CAD on the next protoype and this one is not finished yet - It's a vicious cycle...

:blink:

Back