Engine Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellard

I'm going to need an engine for the Whiplash Sport 40 I'm building. This is my first boat, so I don't know the differences between all of the engine options out there.

Seems like MAC or CMB is the way to go?

What is with all of the different color heads, what are the differences between these engines?

Square collet or round collet?

Picco is another option.

Are there any engines I should steer clear of?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are very few options for new motors right now. The people on in this group are 1000x more trust worthy than ebay.

Put a thread in the for sale section and ask for a used engine.. Especially since it's your first,... break-in on a marine engine can make for a long day... get a good used motor,... mac cmb or OPS. I had an old OPS 45 that as real fast..

All I run are CMB45RS(red head) engines. They are amazingly fast in stock form. The different color heads usually signify different models. If you buy an engine find out if parts are still available for it.

the only new engine available, with a reliable parts service to back it up, is the cmb. eaither an rs or a hydro. there are a few of the older purple head motors still around, and the hydro parts fit that motor, for the most part

What color heads do the RS and the Hydro CMB engines have?

What are the differences between these 2 engines as well as the other CMB engines? Different bore / stroke, heavier crank, ect.? I figured the different colors indicated different models, but what is different between the models? What makes one better than the other?

For which engines are parts still available? Who sells CMB engines and parts?

I was looking for more detail. Is there not a significant difference in design / performance, and I'm looking into this too deep? Just buy the most recently made engine that will have the greatest parts availability?

What color heads do the RS and the Hydro CMB engines have?
What are the differences between these 2 engines as well as the other CMB engines? Different bore / stroke, heavier crank, ect.? I figured the different colors indicated different models, but what is different between the models? What makes one better than the other?

For which engines are parts still available? Who sells CMB engines and parts?

I was looking for more detail. Is there not a significant difference in design / performance, and I'm looking into this too deep? Just buy the most recently made engine that will have the greatest parts availability?
The .45 Hydro and .45 RS have red water jackets. The .45 Hydro has a drum valve induction system. The .45 RS has a zimmerman disc induction system. The .45 RS also has what is known as a "stacked crankshaft" Two counter weights, with a steel con rod inbetween the counterweights. Both ends of the crank and rod assembly are supported by ball bearings. I believe Steve Wood is a dealer for CMB engines. I know parts are available for the .45 Hydro and .45 RS. Hope this helps, Richard D

Another good way to figure out what engine to run is to go to a race with a local club and join that club - if there is one available where you are. Look around and ask people in the club what most people are running. This will lead you in the right direction, as club members are a wealth of information and can give you hands-on pointers with setup if you need.

Back