Engine block interior

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunk t

Geraghty,

I have a new K&B 3.5 I'm re-assembling & I noticed that two of the bolt holes for the front plate broke through to the interior of the block (they weren't tapped straight). Also I noticed that the machinist at K&B hit some of the porosity of the casting when they machined the inner surface under the cylinder (on the floor of the case). Either of these reason to get a new block? Or, am I still good to go.

chunk t.

Chunk

How about warranty?

Did you talk to the LHS that , probably, sold you this NEW engine?

Email to K&B and tell them your story.

Roanld.

Ive seen cases where the bolt holes go through to the inside, I havent had any trouble with it.

If you tell K&B that you saw "inside" of the engine; regardless of what you saw the warranty will most definately be void.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh the quality of K&B. I would repace the case but who's to say youll get a good one from Mecoa or get one at all???

If you can find one local at least you can look it over before you buy it.

Last edited:
If you tell K&B that you saw "inside" of the engine; regardless of what you saw the warranty will most definately be void.

~James
That's what happened to me. I had a 3.5 case with the front housing not machined square to the cylinder bore. That caused the small end of the conrod to rub against the piston and the face of the big end to rub against the PTO. The problem was not obvious when I cleaned the engine when it was new. When I noticed the problem after the first runs, K&B said the warranty was void. I bought a new case and the problem was fixed.

Kez

James,

I was kind of thinking I can get away with using the block as it is as long as I take care to seal the threads real good. I guess the best thing to do will be a pressure check on the block after assembly.

chunk t

Back