Enclosed Boat Trailer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Parsons

I have the need for more space these days, more boats then room in my current boat trailer. I am wondering if anybody has any pros and cons when buying and setting up a enclosed trailer. I am looking at a 5X10 and 6X12 with the barn style doors in the rear and the side man door. I am looking at options, great ideas, and things I may be over looking when I go here shortly to buy a new trailer. So if anyone can give me some pictures and setups that work this would help greatly in my decision.

Thanks

Beau Parsons

Last edited by a moderator:
ramp door for me.needs to be tall enough to stand up in, or it's a real pain in the back. mines a 7 x 14 vee nose

I have the need for more space these days, more boats then room in my current boat trailer. I am wondering if anybody has any pros and cons when buying and setting up a enclosed trailer. I am looking at a 5X10 and 6X12 with the barn style doors in the rear and the side man door. I am looking at options, great ideas, and things I may be over looking when I go here shortly to buy a new trailer. So if anyone can give me some pictures and setups that work this would help greatly in my decision.

Thanks

Beau Parsons
Enclosedtrailers.com buy it with there light shelving. You will be glad you did........ everthing else that will make a nice shelve is HEAVY!!!!!!

Don't know how much room you need but mine is a 6X12 round nose easy and light to pull single axle. I can haul my 6 main boats, gear, spares, generator, tent cover, have a stereo and work table in front. and can use it as a place to crash if needed.............

it's all I need and under 2500.00 with extras

trail 2.JPGtrail 3.JPG

Check all of your options. With a trailer in those sizes you may want to go with torsion axles. Think of what you want to do with it. Do you want room to work on boats inside? Hauling a lot of boats and tools? Rigging it with AC, TV, stereo?

I've got a 5' x 8' Haulmark, Vee-nose with double doors. Those are fine unless you are going to use the trailer for double-duty like hauling ATV's or something like that. I tow mine with a Mercury Mariner so I had to consider if it was going to be too much or not. It tows it fine loaded plus the inside of my SUV packed with food and clothes for long-distant races.

Consider how you pack everything also. My problem seems to be what I need to unload first (tables, chairs and canopy) are all in the nose. Boats in the right rear on a rack, in front of that, shelving for fuel, etc. The left side has the stereo, a wire shelf, toolboxes, generator and 12-volt deep-cycle battery for both DC and AC using power inverters.

trailer4..jpg

trailer7.jpg

a 6x12 will work just fine and if you buy the CNC Boat racks from Jeff at herzog when i went to atlanta spring nats i had 7 boats and 2 Turbine Jets, Generator,tables and all supporting equipment and had plenty of room. My trailer has the extra height added so you can stand all the way straight up. It also has the rear ramp plenty of boats for what you have Beu. i have 3 Twins, 2 F Monos, 2 B hydros, 1 B Mono and 1 Sport 21 Hydro, 2 Jets 16 gallons of nitro, 5 gallons of Jet Fuel, 3 6ft tables, generator extra parts and boat stands and it all fits with everything needed to make a race happen. Anything bigger than 12 feet unless you are 6ft 4 and have over 20 boats its overkill.

Whos is making these talked about boat racks I see in various of trailers? I have seen some wood ones and aluminum?

Beau

Carlo from cc racing makes the metal ones and Jeff from herzog Racing makes the CNC boat racks (wood)

Mine is a 5X10 tall. The key is tall. I have a work bench in the front and I can pickle my scale on that bench if needed. I can fit all my suport goods as well as 5 boats. OR 6 scale helis and or 30 rockets. I use it for all kinds of stuff.

My van pulls it just fine..(4.3L too).

http://www.americanh....com/Nighthawk/

Beau, if you look at my second picture above, there is a 3 boat rack from Herzog Racing in it. You can get it on various forms. I went with the basic kit but wished that I had gotten the complete version. It mounts to the wall with 1" x 3"'s and conduit. I found out the hard way though that it can't be used as a stand-alone as it has to be hung when there are any boats on it. I stained mine in light pecan Min-Wax which turned out well with the wood walls.

This is a better shot of the rack. Jeffery Daft at Herzog also has some optional items like a paper towel holder.

boatrack.jpg

thats correct i have (2) 5 CNC Boat Rack system thats 10 boats and i still have a work bench and i can still stand strait up on my 6x12.. i actually have space to put another 5 boat rack system and carry 15 boats on the trailer and still have my work bench and plenty of room for all my boating equipment..

You guys all show a very lightly packed trailer ... I have a 6x12 barn door tandom torson bar w/e brakes and when I go to the races it is packed to the roof with stuff. from boats to tools and every thing inbetween. Both truc and trailer are loaded to the rim.

By the way did iI mention that I haul most of the clubs equipment to the race as well.

In the pic you see one section of 10ft scafolding , I have hauled 2 sections before and this year we are planning on needing Three sections. Will be reconfiguring part of the layout again to acomadate the scafolding sitting flat, also will be adding alot of T bars and the fencing to this years load. In all total should be about another 750lb worth of gear hauled this year.

Oh there are 5 boats in there as well.

DSC02857.JPG

DSC02855.JPG

DSC02862.JPG

is this a dedicated boat race trailer / workshop or a all pourpose trailer. my 5x 10 carmate trailer has a fold down ramp and it is great for loading the garden tractor or someone moving. swing out double doors work better in the pits. I do not use my trailer as a workshop because it is about 5 1/2' high. this trailer empty is 900# and all my boating gear brings me to about 1.400#. my old 99 chevy venture mini van towed this with no problem. this setup works pretty good for me but if you are looking for the ultimate setup for racing a 16x8 double torsion axel , a/c, generator, inverter, full racks and workshop benches would be awesome, depends on your budget. john v

I use my trailer for many purposes but a 7 X12 is awesome , extra full stand up height and ramp door , your knees will thank you ! I run 7 boats out of it .

is this a dedicated boat race trailer / workshop or a all pourpose trailer. my 5x 10 carmate trailer has a fold down ramp and it is great for loading the garden tractor or someone moving. swing out double doors work better in the pits. I do not use my trailer as a workshop because it is about 5 1/2' high. this trailer empty is 900# and all my boating gear brings me to about 1.400#. my old 99 chevy venture mini van towed this with no problem. this setup works pretty good for me but if you are looking for the ultimate setup for racing a 16x8 double torsion axel , a/c, generator, inverter, full racks and workshop benches would be awesome, depends on your budget. john v
Mine started out as a dedicated race trailer w/workshop table in the front for myself and a friend.

It has gone threw a few different tie down styles for the boats and other items ( gen, canopys , tables etc )

Short wall is now set up for scafolding frames w shelf above.

Long wall has adjustable racks for boats , area up front for 24 x48 table stack and personal tables, battery box and gen over axles and canopys on both walls at the back, Totes holding other items make for neat stacking and orgization for race setup.

Layouts will always be refind so think and look at others to help get your layout the way you want

My back HURTS just looking at this load of stuff

Walt Barney
Walt Barney has looked at my Trailer with the rack system i have he can elaborate and tell you what he thinks on it had 8 boats, 2 turbine jets, 5000W generator,3 tables (6ft), 16 gallons of nitro, 5 gallons of kero, 2 coolers, 12ft easy up tent, 2 chairs, grill, propane tank.

(all fuel was stored in my 3 big cabinets underneath my work bench, 4 Radios,batteries,starter,flowmeter,tools,ect,ect) everything is pretty compact..

julian

I have looked at Julian's trailor and he is correct that it is full, I like my trailor 16 X 8 X 6' 7" tall double torsion axles every thing I need for a race including a cot to my rest my tired head on when the wife does not go to the races.

Walt Barney

Funny this subject comes up as I've been rearranging my trailer trying to find more room for boats to go the NAMBA Nats. I have a 5x10' Wells Cargo V Nose. I'll post pics later. I used to have a 6x12 but I opted for the smaller one when I replaced it after it was stolen. Basically because the 5x10 will fit in my garage. I used to have a ramp door on the 6x12 and it was cool and all and I am 6'5" and could stand up in it but I kept smacking my melon walking in and out of the darned thing. The smaller one is cool but I think I have it overloaded now... :D So far I can fit 11 boats in it including two scales and two gas boats.

Back