Electronic timing for SAW

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatMyShortsRacing

Hey is there an electronic timing system in Australia for SAW yet??

If there isnt, how is it done in the US and can we adapt that for here?

EMS Racing A sweet transducer

Craig,

I dont really know how it is done in the states (perhaps Glenn can say something about this) but here the timing equipment used by RMBC is electronic, but the triggering is still done by 2 judges at each end. At least that is what I saw in about 99. I have no idea what is used by the Queenslanders. We heat race in SA, no SAW. ;D

I would like to see some electronic timing equip like is used by the model cars. This would eliminate questionable start jumping calls and give automatic heat timing. I heard that this has been trialled in the US?

Ian.

Ahh yes the US timing system based on the Car Transducers...

Very nice for heat racing (assuming you can get the transducers reliable and the wire loop close enough to the water to trigger), but the accuracy for triggering doesnt make them very good for start line calls or straight line speed....

the accuracy of the transducer decreases with the distance between the transducer and the loop.

EMS Racing going goodly

Mere technical problems... ;D

I think I read that F1 cars use transducers for determining which car it is, but use a laser beam system for timing.

How about we abandon the start clock system and use the Le Mans type start used for Multi!.... No more jumped starts! 8)

Nitrocrazed racing: "30 seconds, hands off!"

Craig

Gary Holbrow was working on a transponder system that would work on boats but i don't know were he is upto with it.

In the US they use the lazer system for SAW it is very acurat no more false readings. If this system was employed in Aus. then all curent records would be scraped and we would start agine..

CHD Racing Paul

Guys, the system used in the US for all sanctioned time trials is

infra-red.

It consist of a transmitter located on the far bank at each end of the course (330 ft) and a receiver on the near bank at each end of the course. The receivers are connected to the timing box that includes a switch for "left to right" or "right to left" passes. When the boat passes through the first beam it starts the clock and when it passes through the second beam it stops the clock. The clock reads to the .001 second.

It is a very accurate system and is fairly easy to set up. The most important part is having your course length accurate. Here in the US IMPBA requires the course to be surveyed and a report written by professional surveyors and the paperwork has to be approved by the IMPBA records director before a pond is legal to set records.

The IMPBA owns the timing equipment and you must use their equipment to set a record.

I'm sure this system would work anywhere in the world, but shipping cost would be way too much. It looks like it would be simple to build and I'm sure there are folks here in the US that could provide plans.

Glenn

Hello Glenn

do you have the name or adress of someone would could help me designing such a timing device, or provide plans?

Thanks

Marc

Guys, one of the most knowledgable folks around on the timing equipment is John Equi. His email address is [email protected]. Tell John I gave this info to you and that you are looking for info/plans to build the timing equipment. If he can't help you he will know who can.

Glenn

Back