Eagle Twin overhaul complete

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! You can atleast glue in a wood dowel inside the sponson booms that the screws pass through. This will eliminate the screws from slotting the booms. I’ve been putting aluminum inside the hull booms which keeps the booms from cracking where the bolts pass through , and double wall the sponson booms with the one under size composite tube and then gluing wood dowel inside of that which makes the sponson booms solid to help with flex when running that type of boom material. Also, with the aluminum inside the hull booms ,extending out past the width of the hull ,it makes the booms break outside the hull without damaging the wood on the boat if impacted. Jeff Lutz
you are absolutely right. great way to strengthen

however doing all of that will change the flex duration and the distance they flex,all part of the design of the hull ,its part of the handling characteristics.

something to consider if u do it. maybe test with and without changes to see which u like better or if the difference is noticeable to you
. When Andy went to that boom material around 1997, he did not do it for flexing. He liked that it was either straight or broke, not bent like aluminum. Hard to predict flex in a boat design. By the way, Andy is now using solid carbon booms and the front of his boats are basically the same design.

All good points, over all these years of building riggers I have always used good quality CF booms and have never had an issue with boom hole elongation but it does make sense to add some wood doweling inside of the sponson tube. I’ve also always doubled up the center section with internal one size down CF to add strength and make sponson insertion depth predictable and accurate.

Everything breaks when you hit stuff, I’ve been known to violently abuse the periodic course bouy and my booms have always stood up.

All of that said, twins deal with some increased forces and weight, taking some additional precautions is some wise advice.

Watch out my Big Props
default_tongue.png
default_laugh.png
" Dangerous
default_biggrin.png
I will try run test and see in happen

Beautiful boat, may I ask where you got the decals from? I rarely like a painted rigger, but yours looks sweet.
The Hooks gang at Double Ace Racing, they have a bunch of different decal sets. I believe that many of them are replicated from some of Roger Jrs original art work. Check out their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motors broke in and bench syncd, heading to Edmonton this weekend to race, taking the twin, at the very least it will be the boats first test runs, unlikely it will run well enough to race but well see. Sure is tricky to getting everything happening at the same time but its close. Need my buddies ears to get closer on the motors, sounds good on the bench, pretty sure all of that will change when under load. All the same, pretty excited to see how it performs on its first time out. Will get some video and post it if its viewing worthy.

Sorry guys, no video but it ran well in its maiden voyage. Sent out rich, gradually leaned it in and when it cleaned out it began to really move and almost perfect handling. Time to bring it in only to find that the one of my throttle arms came loose and lost my shut down but just richened it until it quit. You all remember our boom tube discussion, done for the day, split my boom tubes good. All part of the testing shake down runs.

All smiles here, Allen Yuen looked worried, he has got some competition when I deal with the bugs!!!!

Woooooohooooooo!

3D9B44F2-A231-484E-BDA5-742AA2BC6032.jpeg

DA71E458-E346-471D-B552-E0B5FD9DEA0B.jpeg

Man thats the first time that Ive seen the booms split . Congrats on the test run that should be super fast and hard to beat!!!

Did some hot laps with it too, could run wide and wail and ran some tight turns and still ran well and didn’t complain about it. Could even left turn correct without any fuss. Still smiling!

I helped him so I watched pretty good increase speed but his boat seem little hopping. Found his boom main were very bad cracked

Hey Greg what’s your strut angle looks pretty steep?
In haven’t measured them, I just eye balled them like most of my Eagles, my guess would be maybe 1-2 degrees, just a little negative angle. My first run was on a set of 1667’s cut down and pitched at 6”. Once I deal with the minor gremlins, the motors fully break in I

will push things out to the max. Once I get there I have a couple of new game changer props pictched out to 6.5 and just under 7. When I begin to try those I will check the angle more accurately. This is a dual ski boat and it’s my hope that will limit the amount of negative angle I need to tune into it, the 4-6 degrees you have your boat tuned to sounds like so much misdirected thrust energy. When I get there those answers should present themselves.

Depending what photo you are looking at, I had the struts loose and just hanging there.

Back