Dumas 8th scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

Hi guys. Can any of the Dumas 8th scale boats be built to run competively? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Hello,

Well I just finished the Dumas Atlas boat and it's a mover, I did change the bottom and the sponsons a bit but other than that it's great. I'm creeping up on nitro speeds running the boat on batteries. ;)

Paul.

Gday !

Adelaide Australia

I ran a Dumas Atlas a few years back, modified the sponsons so they had flat bottoms, not the fluted style, and it was great.

Idont like scale boats at all! :p

But I have seem the Miller America and Miller Hi life built and run very well.

And it is good to see a good scale boat race sometimes :rolleyes:

Clay,

they are great running boats. The secret to keeping them that way is making sure it's 100% sealed so water doesn't leak into the bulkheads and start to gain weight like a pig. I can't remember what video that is done but it's suggested to widening it if you can and useing some lighter wood if possible. The other thing they did was drill large circled holes in the wood to reduce weight. Just make sure you do it strategically so you don't add a new weak spot.

Hey Mark. I've looked at your thread on the Miss Circus Circus. Looks real nice. I was considering doing one of the Millers and painting it to the Atlas boat colors as suggested by Don Ferrette. Although I have all the painting gear, I'd like to keep the paint a little easier.

Was the Circus hull ever run with any other sponsors?

I see on the Newton site that there are several hulls that are based on the same 1989 Circus plans? The T-Plus, Coors, Exide, American Spirit, Smokin Joes? Is this correct? From what I know, the cowls look different?

I really would like to do an all red Budweiser boat. Could I make a true-to-scale Bud boat with the Dumas Circus kit? Or was the Bud hull very different? Thanks for the input guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Was the Circus hull ever run with any other sponsors?"

The Dumas Circus hull will also do the Miller High Life with an easy cowl mod.

"Or was the Bud hull very different?"

VERY different............ :blink:

Hi Clay,

I was considering doing one of the Millers and painting it to the Atlas boat colors as suggested by Don Ferrette. Although I have all the painting gear, I'd like to keep the paint a little easier.
If your looking for an easy paint job the Atlas is NOT what you want to do. Belive me, I just finished one and it was a headache!

Paul.

"If your looking for an easy paint job the Atlas is NOT what you want to do. Belive me, I just finished one and it was a headache!

Paul."

But it's alot easier than the tri color red fade on the Miller American! :eek: Been there, done that .... :blink:

I can do the taping and shooting, it's the price of 4 or 5 colors I'm looking to avoid. If I can do the 4 PPG colors that Mark did for $120, I might do the Circus.

It looks great in that glamour shot on the water :)

Back