Dual plug Head buttons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

Earlier Nitro Engines had Dual Glow Plugs in the Head button, Many were for Low Nitro use & incorrect head bowl volume for High Nitro use..... Would they be a advantage today If the Bowl Volume was Corrected for High Nitro use........ Also the Top Fuel Guys add Voltage to the plug to burn More Nitro @ High speed. Is this possible in a Nitro 2 Stroke....... or is there a Fine line to the heat the Plug Wire Generates without failing????? Our Nitro engines are actually Nitro 2 Stroke Diesel Theory. Older diesels used a flame switch ( started a fuel fire in the intake manifold ) to Start the engine & as long as the compression was in the cylinder it would remain running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how it is in the RC world, but where I come from we race nitro 2-stroke atv motors.

Although dual plug heads can have a small advantage over a standard single plug design, unless you are running in excess of 70% the dual plug hasn't shown a great deal of performance gain. The other thing when running really high percentages is that you need additional plug energy (high output stators/distributors).

This may be different in our little motors, but if it is anything like what I deal with in the bigger versions of these motors, the performance gains are minimal, and even then, you'll typically only notice it with high load fuels.

Ealier Nitro Engines had Dual Glow Plugs in the Head button, Many were for Low Nitro use & incorrect head bowl volume for High Nitro use..... Would they be a advantage today If the Bowl Volume was Corrected for High Nitro use........ Also the Top Fuel Guys add Voltage to the plug to burn More Nitro @ High speed. Is this possible in a Nitro 2 Stroke....... or is there a Fine line to the heat the Plug Wire Generates without failing????? Our Nitro engines are actually Nitro 2 Stroke Diesel Theory. Older diesels used a flame switch ( started a fuel fire in the intake manifold ) to Start the engine & as long as the compression was in the cylinder it would remain running.
Think you'll just double your glow plug bill, Joe. ;)

Joe I did a eng for Julian a 67 gold head EVO and used the dual plug head. the volume was more than good enough to run high nitro. just had to change the o squash angle to 1 deg and all the numbers came out good. this eng had lots of power. test ran it in old 666. Just ask the guys at Brandon at the last race. never got to see how much prop it would turn at 9" on the pipe. but a X465 didn't even start to load the eng.

I am cutting on one for my self right now but with a 80 P/L in it and a new zoomey 80 carb adapted to it. going to see how fast old 666 can go :huh:

Have one for my 45RS that I will test next time out. It has the same volume I run now with the custom head.

O and the Deutz 912 eng still use the flame thrower on the intake manifold to start in cold weather.

David

I love my Dual plug head button reason increase .5 to 1 hp( 400 to 1000 RPM ) and use only 50% nitro perfect than high 60% because glow plugs will burn out and waste money lot of replace. I had bad experenice with CMB 67 and CMB.80(No success and lot problem ) cause tricky on carb or sleeve's ports too much!! I am very glad with CMB90 EVO Gold headed for my Cobra Twin ;)

Joe:

Not sure about the 2 glow plugs, but I can tell you that I have seen many people use onboard ignition that switched on/off with the servo position. It was awesome for being able to mill slow and have great acceleration.

I love my Dual plug head button reason increase .5 to 1 hp( 400 to 1000 RPM ) and use only 50% nitro perfect than high 60% because glow plugs will burn out and waste money lot of replace. I had bad experenice with CMB 67 and CMB.80(No success and lot problem ) cause tricky on carb or sleeve's ports too much!! I am very glad with CMB90 EVO Gold headed for my Cobra Twin ;)
Yes the carb back plate combo is a mess and the ex port is to small for the trans boost size. both have bin changed for the better. have run this setup on 65% with no problems.

put a new style CMB spray bar in the carb to solve the problems. also added ears to the ex port to balance the timed area.

And of course the 666 mod to the P/L. :D

David

Joe:

Not sure about the 2 glow plugs, but I can tell you that I have seen many people use onboard ignition that switched on/off with the servo position. It was awesome for being able to mill slow and have great acceleration.
very interesting

The next thing I have on the drawing board is a duel plug head in the shape of a bath tub. :unsure:

Mite see this on the next 90RS rebuild.

Guys,

Ask yourself just one simple question?

What will allow me to burn more Nitro and also

advance my ignition timing at the same time?

Onboard Ignition is the answer. You can use as

many plugs as you want, but onboard is an advantage.

One third AA's can get you there easily @1200 mah.

Don't them helicopters run onboard? Yes, they do!!!

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Guys,

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Yup !

Joe:

Is this a Nitro application

Webra made a glow-control .. Webra is out of the market now ,

but there are still shops that have it stocked > L I N K
What would it consist of? Maybe I can build a circuit. This topic is right on cause I was considering duals on my picco 67.Would a metered succession of small nitrous shots accomodate this extra fuel.

Last edited:
Dual plugs are supposed to let you burn a higher precentage of nitro as believe it or not, it's considered a slow-burning fuel. This does work better in big-block engines but now there is someone making dual-plug heads for Traxxas .18's.

Guys,

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund
are you referring to R/C heli's using on board? I have never seen anyone use that. Maybe your thinking of remote ignition cable? Very curious.

Joe:

Is this a Nitro application

Joe:

YES, and have been used since the late 70's. John Bridge and some others ALWAYS used onboard ignition on their twins. Some make the batts turn off at top speed and turn back on at less....

These systems worked REALLY well, especially on twins.

Joe,

I know a few people that are having very good success with them

on just single plug heads. :D

Ron Z,

I know they are big in FLA. with the R/C helicopter pilots.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Joe,

I know a few people that are having very good success with them

on just single plug heads. :D

Ron Z,

I know they are big in FLA. with the R/C helicopter pilots.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Interesting..... Especially on the big motors

Back