drive cable

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taber

I can hold my engine collet and twist the drive cable and prop almost 1 turn . What is this an indication of ? is the drive cable shot ? I have noticed this on a couple of cables.

CK the inside of your flex hex/ cable coupler I have had one snap in half. the part the is squeezed. coupler can get a burr inside also. they can wear out. You can add a little solder to the clean cable end.

You need to solder the end where it goes into the coupler. You can use Sta-Brite there. Both the inner and outer windings have to be connected or it will twist like that.

I had that with a cable and it was impossible to get the boat and motor in tune. Can't tell you why, but once I changed the cable I was able to get the boat setup correctly. I would solder the end as stated above or get a new cable.

Just my .02

Robert

I agree with soldering the end of the cable. I solder the cable before I cut it off to fit. Just measure where it will be cut, solder it for about 1/2' in front of the cut. This way the cable won't unravel after you cut it and won't squish down in the collet. This gives the collet a better bite.

I don't think it has to be silver solder. At least I don't use silver solder.

Al Hobbs

Thank you for the replies felas ! I usually soldier all my cables , must have missed this one.

Latest posts

Back