Double-Tunnel Pictures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last thing that the IMPBA needs is more classes. We will use the Atlanta Spring Nats as an example. On Saturday I was in the last heat and it was to dark to see the boat that I was running much less the dead boats or the buoys. To get the heats in for the weekend they had to run the retrieve boat in wide open and then go on the clock imediately. 8 and 9 boats to a heat. They had to do it this way to get the race done, but what this will do is in the future is bad for the IMPBA (it will split gas and nitro from racing at the same event). Simple problem to solve by holding twice as many races (but it will not happen) so the IMPBA suffers. We already have to many classes.

Change the rules to allow the DoubleTunnel to race with tunnels. When he starts beating you on a regular bases figure out why. Make the changes needed to your design and go out there and climb back to the top (after all the Double Tunnel is at the disadvantage of extra drag). AFTER ALL THIS IS WHAT RACING IS ALL ABOUT TRYING SOMETHING NEW (SOME OF IT WORKS AND SOME DOES NOT). Consider it research and develpment at someone else expense.

Dont hurt the IMPBA because someone has a design that they want to try. IF A MAN IS WILLING TO PUT HIS MONEY AND HIS TIME INTO IT PUT HIM IN A CLASS WERE HE CAN BE COMPETITIVE or learn that he is not competitive. Can you imagine where boat racing would be today if someone was not willing to try something new?

I am not bad mouthing the Atlanta club or the Atlanta Spring Nats just using it as an example.

Sincerly,

Allen Waddle

AWaddle322......"Consider it research and development at someone elses expense."

Could not have said that better myself. I am not getting paid to do this. I am doing it because I love building them and the fun of sanctioned racing.

Consider this also.......last year I had a decision to make. Run ads in the magazines and sell them to anybody, anywhere...or...bring the boat to the races myself and throw it to the wolves of competition. At every race I go to people are getting to see how it performs and how it is progressing at no expense to anyone except me. I keep thinking that someone is going to watch my boat and then show up with their own version one. And...I think that would be fantastic.

Mark

After several requests for info and no replies to e mails, I guess the price is too high. Sorry, too much work goes into them for me to just give them away. That said, I do not want to hear any whining about me being the only one running the boat.

Mark

Smart move Mark that way no one will be able to splash your design. Too many copycats out there that buy or get a hull that is working and then they make cheap copies. Keep it to your self make the copiers work for designs.

Hi Bill

Not worried too much about that. Anyone who does that is a prideless putz, not to mention thief. Well I guess I mentioned it. :D Fact is they are available. I think people just like to play games like always. Hope to be back over there in the fall.

Mark

mark,

i really like like your boat hope that everything will work out in the future with it.hopefully impba will do something to help you with it,or maybe what they should do is make a open modifed class for .20 .40 .60 where anything goes,use it to see how new designs could be intergrated into already exsting classes.besides you spended alot of time to develop it.that should be the fair way to do it.i to have been drawing plans for something new in tunnel hull design,but it still on paper.

jimmy,

i know you are in the dist 13 and you said something about tunnel are a dying breed,but if all of us in our little group in lexington sc could get our boats right and keep them right we along could fill a .20 class,all together we have 6 .20 tunnel that we run on sundays ,but not all of us have sent in our impba memberships.

sometime if get a chance you need or if you would like to come down and run with us, we would love to have you.if you get a chance go to our web site at www.rmhalliday.com click the hooters boat and it will take you to it. not all of the tunnels are on there we still have two pics. of other tunnels that are not on there yet.also we think we might have found a pond cloes by us to soon have momthly cub races in lexington sc

thanks,

allen

aamick1971.... "hopefully impba will do something to help you with it."

The R&D decision has already been a tremendous help for it. Obviously, the IMPBA is more open minded than some other organizations.

A dying breed? That is up to all of US! A lot of engine choices and sizes means more boats are needed. More and different size boats means more engines are needed. Most importantly more racers are needed. Would you invest a lot of time and money into machining and manufacture if you did not see decent market for it? If you are sitting on the bench and not a member then get off the bench. If you have something on the drawing board....put it on the water. More competition has always fueled competitive spirit. And that in turn has always fueled markets.

Ok, i'm done....for now. :lol:

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
i hafto agree with mark on this ong allen get the impba sent in and start running that is what we need. i did not say that the tunnels are a dying breed i just said that they were falling off. this has been a problem in all dists not just oures. i can rember about ten years ago we would have anywhere from 30 to 40 tunnels show up at a race now we are lucky if we have enough to run the classes. come on to atlanta on july the 10 and the 11 and run with us you can pay the impba there and run. i will send you a copy of the entry form.

i will try to get down there to run with yall i am a little busy now with the internats getting close. with work and building boats and trying to get ready for the nats i am a little streached out now but i will make it down there soon. let me know if you get a lake to run club races i will let every body up here know.hope to see ya soon in atlanta jimmy

Well, this has been a great post. But someone mentioned "WE NEED ENGINES". **** straight! We need engines. I barely run my K&B 7.5's because I feel that "It's all I got" and should only run them for special occassions.

Back in the day K&B did a great job providing a full market of motors and parts but even better at a very affordable price. When K&B bellied up, or sold whatever......not only has it killed everyone's tunnel classes, in all districts but it did the same for the Sport .40 class. We've seen some new powerheads coming out like Rossi, NR, CMB and MAC but the price tag screams "MOVE TO 1/8TH SCALE". Hell Thunder tiger quit, even OS they quit to. Watch the selling market for RTR tunnels and they are really cheap, it's like they won't hold there value due to the lack of engines and parts. I sold a brand new Maus 3.5 hull that was painted with radio box on e-bay yesterday for $71 dollars. It was brand new, the paint alone cost me that much.

I gotta think to myself that it's better to let the double tunnel run in OPC than start another class to take away yet more motors to start a seperate class.

hi rcboats2 i know what you mean it is hard to get someone new into the sport when they can buy everything except an engine that is stock. k&b is the only one that sells a legal stocker now but it is hard to get them and the price whew scares me. don't even talk about the parts it might take one week or six monthe to get parts. i just got a new cmb 45 and mount and lawless lower unit from jim irwin. i think that i will be missing a few lunches at work hee hee hee just kidding jim. but the turm speed cost applies. well gotta go see ya jimmy

hi bob hows it going ?? was looking at the maus dbl tunnel , heres the scoop on that one , nether namba or impba would ecept it in the tunnel class , so all he did was sell it as a specialty boat . the reason the center keel ( or running surfface ) was cut foreward as it was , was to make the boat handel better in the corners. we worked very hard on that one trying to get it approved , no luck

sam gave me all his molds when he and his father quit . all i had to do was go out and pick them up . there wer a lot of them that were not worth the efort , so now you know why i am intrested in the boat god bless ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for sharing the pics Bob. Looks to be a big boat just by sizing up what is around it. Is that a proto? Looks like it has had some blocking done to it. From the transom it looks like the left sponson is a different width than the right one. How long is the boat? Looks big enough to have a big dog on the transom.

Mark

The boat is not a prototype. All Maus boats came "naked" and you had to fill about a million pin holes and then prime and paint. The boat is 39 1/2" long and both outside sponsons are 2" wide.

Latest posts

Back