Do you use a turn fin on a rigger for pure SAW runs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hamilton

This is on a JAE 21 that will be used purly for SAW runs. Are fins used on most riggers for straight line speed runs or are they not used so as to reduce drag & increase speeds. Thanks in advance Martin.

I haven't tried that. Haven't made any real saw efforts though. I am afraid this will not work well though. I think the boat will need too much rudder to go straight. Maybe try a very small, very sharp fin with no bend or curve. Just for a little stability. let us know if you how it turns out

I have been running SAW trials for over 20 yrs,& I can tell you every record I have seen set was done WITHOUT a turn fin!!!

Don

I do not run turn fins on any of my SAW boats. A turn fin on a SAW application costs you speed if it touches the water during your run no matter how small it is. If you can't find a way to get your boat to turn without one at least make so when the boat is at speed the fin is out of the water.

Many thanks on replies guys,would you normally increase the AOA on the sponsons or decrease for SAW. Regards Martin.

Martin,

We run more like 3 to 4 degrees on our circle boats

And closer to 5 to 6 degrees on our SAW boats.

The propellers have quite a bit of lift so the AOA needs

to be increased on our boats.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Some of our early riggers nedded a little fin to turn in the area available at Legg Lake. We screwed a rasor knife blade to the sponson, sharp edge forward.

Lohring Miller

You can adjust your front sponsons to allow the boat to turn well without a turn fin, but you must turn at low speed. SAW without a fin is harder to drive than oval trials, but turn fins slow you down considerably. You will be faster if you learn to drive without one. No matter how small you make it, not having it is faster. Learn to drive without one. Also, If you think you need the fin to go straight, you are also thinking how much can I slow this puppy down so I can drive it. A saw boat set up properly will track perfectly straight without a fin and with a very little rudder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, there's plenty of room to not only turn but to get a boat up to speed at Thread Lake. I'd worry more about trying not to hit "Pinckert Point"! I've seen quite a few close moments there though.

You can adjust your front sponsons to allow the boat to turn well without a turn fin, but you must turn at low speed. SAW without a fin is harder to drive than oval trials, but turn fins slow you down considerably. You will be faster if you learn to drive without one. No matter how small you make it, not having it is faster. Learn to drive without one. Also, If you think you need the fin to go straight, you are also thinking how much can I slow this puppy down so I can drive it. A saw boat set up properly will track perfectly straight without a fin and with a very little rudder.
John,

You mention that the front sponsons can be adjusted to allow the boat to turn well. Can you expand in more detail what type of adjustments? Is it an angle adjustment or an overall design/shape?

Thanks.

Mike

Don't worry, there's plenty of room to not only turn but to get a boat up to speed at Thread Lake. I'd worry more about trying not to hit "Pinckert Point"! I've seen quite a few close moments there though.
Poor Walt, I'll never forget the sound it made when it hit... :unsure:

Flint_Oct09_044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back