Do you tin the collet end of the cable?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kes..

The answer to your problem may be in this post from you. With a cable collet system, THE ENGINE SHOULD TAKE THE THRUST ALL OF THE TIME, meaning that you should have a gap between your strut and drive dog all of the time. THRUST WASHERS ARE NOT USED. If your thrust washers show wear, that means you are putting your drive line in a bind, and may cause your collet to slip.

Steve Ball

Walt, I have been thinking about the gap...Do you think the gap size should be a percentage of the cable length? instead of a fixed space? I tried twisting the cable with one end clamped on a vice but I can not get it to shrink by 1/8". The thrust washers in all my boats do not show much wear, which makes me think that the gap is probably too much and the engine bearings are taking the thrust load.

HJ, I am cutting a new cable and will try without soldering the end this time.

Jim, I used Stay Brite silver solder because it is easy to obtain. It comes with a bottle of liquid flux and I tried to get the solder to wick into the strands as much as I could. I am surprised to find that the heat from the slipping cable (a matter of seconds) can melt the solder. I think I found the answer to why the cable failed in your reply....The cable is probably a couple of thous undersized and the collet did not have enough grip on the cable.

Thanks,

kez

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:OK ..so whats a better car Ford ...or Chevy ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Any car built on a Wednesday and not close to a Holiday or labor dispute. There are about 20 weeks of the year where you may get a good one. :) Then you have to hope the people in singapore built the electronics correctly or .....well.... you may already know about that. LOL

So now your gona say Dodge???

Kez

I would leave a gap the same size as the cable , works for me..

Walt Barney

I also leave a gap between the cable and the engine shaft. I push the cable in the collet all the way and then back off about 1/8". I have found that if I don't do this the cable can slip in the collet.

Anti-seize on the collet threads helps too. This provides more clamping force without having to tighten the collet with as much torque.

Thanks all for your reponse. I have cut a new cable and will be testing it tomorrow.

I have always left about 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the strut and the thrust washer and I do not see any wear marks on the thrust washer. This tells me the gap is probably enough and the engine is taking all the thrust load.

To apply anti-sieze or high pressure grease is an idea I have never tried. I will smear some grease on the thread before leaning on the cable nut.

Thanks

Lose the thrust washer ..they serve no purpose in this application . Thrust washers are only used in a Square drive or Hard shaft setup .

Thanks all for your reponse. I have cut a new cable and will be testing it tomorrow.

I have always left about 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the strut and the thrust washer and I do not see any wear marks on the thrust washer. This tells me the gap is probably enough and the engine is taking all the thrust load.

To apply anti-sieze or high pressure grease is an idea I have never tried. I will smear some grease on the thread before leaning on the cable nut.

Thanks
You only need a little anti-seize thread lubricant. You don't want any getting on the cable.

Back