cable end preparation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Allen

I use a heat sink to silver solder the end of the cable for a distance of approximately 1/8". This prevents any unwinding or separation. I then solder the cable end with silver bearing, acid core, lead free, solder for a distance of approximately 1 1/4". I use Tec Flux high temperature soldering liquid made by Lucas Milhaupt after cleaning the cables end in a 50% solution of MEK & acetone. If done properly the cable end will become a solid, without softening the spring steel wire it is made from. The solder flows at 400* F & the 45% silver solder at 1100* F. The foam, plywood shield prevents the flux from attacking the steel parts of the lathe's chuck as it slowly rotates the cable.

Jim Allen

I use both. The silver solder, 45% silver, 1100* F, is used for the cables end, approximzately 1/8" in length. The soft solder, 400* F, is used for the 1 1/4" area & it covers the silver soldered end.

JA

MEK is some pretty nasty stuff. Isn't acetone strong enough alone? I know Boeing won't allow the use of MEK anywhere unless engineering and mid-level management both give the okay.

MEK is readily available in Lowes, Home Depot, Ace & many other hardware stores. It is a strong solvent but it is no more dangerous than Acetone which is also sold in hardware stores. I soak the cable's end in the solvent mix for several days to remove any grease or oil that may be inside the cable's windings.

JA

Mek is some nasty stuff you should not let it get on your hands it's a lot worse then just actone. Make sure you wear gloves. I work for safety kleen we pick this stuff up all the time nasty nasty

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MEK is readily available in Lowes, Home Depot, Ace & many other hardware stores. It is a strong solvent but it is no more dangerous than Acetone which is also sold in hardware stores. I soak the cable's end in the solvent mix for several days to remove any grease or oil that may be inside the cable's windings.

JA
I understand that, just saying that if Boeing has pretty much banned it in their facilities, some serious caution is needed. I used to use it all the time when I was in the Navy, actually washed my hands in the stuff. Now, without the proper gloves, I won't get need it

Not saying that MEK isn't nasty stuff, but for many chemicals there is a big difference between the health effects of occasional exposure for once a twice a year hobby use, and 8 hours a day industrial exposure.

That said, it's a good idea to check a safety data sheet and use proper PPE when dealing with any chemical.

When I build a cable I use an Ultra-Sonic Cleaner with water and Dawn dish soap.. Removes all the grease/oils and is easy to make soldering less of a task.. I use 45% silver solder on both ends but have made a jig to hold stub shaft and cable stable during soldering procedure..

Later!!

Pat

Back