Direct drive question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitaccio

I am running out of endbells on my Blizzard. I have the fullers hardware and am running direct drive. The motor is a 19/2 on 8 cells with a 1732. I have a cable collet to connect things. I went through 2 endbells with a bushings and just swithced to one with bearings. I tested it watching closely the temps. The endbell got really hot even with the can cooled with a coil. I have put in thrust washers imbetween the can and the collet, but when you tighten the collet to the motor shaft, doesn't it eliminate the point of the washers since the force will be put on the endbell? How can I save endbells and get my boat going? If there is anyone in the Utah area, especially let me know.

Hi Mitaccio, Try water cooling the brush hoods. I think this is more important then can cooling. If your boat is running to wet no amount of cooling will help.

The blizzard is fast when set up right, if not things can get hot quick. How long are you running it for? Do you have the back sponsons on?

LOU

I was told with that setup I would not need the rear sponsons. Crap or fact? The boat is running wet, but I figured that this was due to my not knowing much about riggers. I'll post a pic of my setup later. Any suggestions on brush cooling?

Any suggestions on brush cooling?

Yes its cheap, easy and works. Theres some pictures on my site if you don't know how to do it, but the basics are take a piece of tubing about 3/4" long the same diameter as what you use for your coiling coil. Than solder them on to each brush hood or tab. That connect into the coiling system.

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Brings me back in the day when I race electric cars. The guys at the track always wonder why I had little pieces of brass tubing solder to the brush hoods. New speed secret I would reply. That 12/2 never really made a good buggy mod motor, but it sure hauled *ss in the Winston Eagle 1/16 scale.

Mike

Man that was 13 years ago.

Mataccio its not crap. The fastest Climate Blizzard rigger I saw had no back sponsons but it also had brushless power. It is a much eaiser boat to set up with the back pads on for lower power setups. Much more forgiving to.

LOU

the boat should be fine without rear sponsons

re the thrust bearing set it takes the load before the endbell bushing takes the load

i am not sure why that motor is so hot tho - I could run a 13/3 with the same prop and get away without melting the endbell.

deepen the strut so the tail hops then make it shallower till it has a little hum in it on the first lap then settles down - this will help you prop unload

Back