Details needed for Transponder Lap Scorring systems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

We've been using pushbuttons on our race management system for a few years now, but we're conitnuing to get issues with people forgetting, or not being able to push the buttons hard enough and occaisionally defective buttons.

So we need to move on. Can you guys tell what's being used Stateside. A club mate of mine has a similar thread going on over at Jims and we've got some good stuff from the europeans but we're looking to spread the net.

We also want to know what the highest level the pickup loops can be run at and the maximum distance they can run is.

We're thinking that we need to have them high enough to have a decent chance of clearing a Gas Sport hydro or Tboat that decides to go airborn on the start line? (we don't do the crawly crawly thing here........yet)

Also need to know what pitfalls to watch out for along with what issues we should watch out for when selecting a system.

Cheers

Bob

I have boat raced using this system.. worst part was transponders coming back and the poor sucker that had to watch over that.

Now however with personal transponders it might go smoother.

Grim

Hi Bob currently I am working on adapting the pb system with the transponder system I use. In the next few weeks we will be sending the unit to Australia so that Andrew can marry the 2 system with compatible software.

I have boat raced using this system.. worst part was transponders coming back and the poor sucker that had to watch over that.

Now however with personal transponders it might go smoother.

Grim
So true Mike , I was one of those suckers.lol

Not to mention the ones that fell off the boats while racing.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to start using personal transponders...so you can get out of the stone age & stop arguing over (TOY BOATS) after a heat race...it's a turn off for me & I no longer race...I just test & play.

http://www.mylaps.co...g/Websites/home --

TimePoint training systems can be installed at public sports areas for active outdoor sports like running, inline skating, speed skating, cross-country skiing and in swimming pools.

I thought that the transponder system idea had been tried with boats and it just never worked right. It sure would be nice if it would work all of the time and accurate. It would stop a lot of arguing at the end of a heat.

Thanks Guys

Darby96 please keep me posted, one if the the selection crietria will be avaioability of local support. Somewhat less meaningful in the days of the interweb, but still local users are still useful.

Mark Poole, I'm really keen to pickup on what the actual issues with using transponders on water are. As has been said elsewhere the Europeans don't seem to be having any issues. But others still do, can you dig around for more info and report back here?

Have checked out mylaps.com today quite a few local RC car clubs are using it along with go cart clubs and trail bikers. Will hunt a few down may even be able to borrow a system to try out.

Keep this stuff coming guys it's invaluable.

IMPBA tryed that in the 90's. Spend the money lost the money and it would not work without problems. One of the problems is the pickup loop. If I recall right we had to run two systems with the loop wire going out to the center of the lake from one system and returning back to the other system. These two system were interfaced together for the loop system. There was a ajustment on the loop that allowed the system to be tuned. But with this ajustment the width of the line could be made very wide and would allow a boat to be called a good start when it was over by much as 5ft. And then the next problem was the transponder battery could not hold up the the fast heat pace. So another set of transponders were bought and tryed but still the same problem. The transponder could not stay in the charger long enough to keep the battery up. And the list goes on with setup time, lost transponders, keeping up with transponders, etc.

Now with the new systems today these problems may not be. But I would not buy a transponder and keep it up for a simple 6 lap race.

IMPBA tryed that in the 90's. Spend the money lost the money and it would not work without problems. One of the problems is the pickup loop. If I recall right we had to run two systems with the loop wire going out to the center of the lake from one system and returning back to the other system. These two system were interfaced together for the loop system. There was a ajustment on the loop that allowed the system to be tuned. But with this ajustment the width of the line could be made very wide and would allow a boat to be called a good start when it was over by much as 5ft. And then the next problem was the transponder battery could not hold up the the fast heat pace. So another set of transponders were bought and tryed but still the same problem. The transponder could not stay in the charger long enough to keep the battery up. And the list goes on with setup time, lost transponders, keeping up with transponders, etc.

Now with the new systems today these problems may not be. But I would not buy a transponder and keep it up for a simple 6 lap race.
Mark a personal transponder plugs into your rec and works great. I think the only way is to put the loop under the water. Guys tear down wire 5 -6 feet in the air at races ive been to.

Mark a personal transponder plugs into your rec and works great. I think the only way is to put the loop under the water. Guys tear down wire 5 -6 feet in the air at races ive been to.
Hell, why don't we just set up a online race, we enter our boats. sit in our A/C house and have at it. :wacko: Don't turn this "HOBBY" into some computer game. It does not work on water, even if it did, it's to costly and stopping a race for 2 hours to fix it is not my idea of fun. Now do you really want to know how I feel about. :D ==={}

I am sure the new system is better. I just remember what we went thru with the old stuff.

SayMikey said:
Guys tear down wire 5 -6 feet in the air at races ive been to.
Ha ha .. Try that with a European system where the AMB-antenna is 'merged' with a sailing-mast wire.

Will be lots of 'de-capitated' hulls.

@Bob G :

I've given Damian Baker the European contacts I know.

Thanks HendricX, he'd forwarded them to me and I've just finished reading them. The Hardcard RFID system looks interesting do you know of anybody using it?

Alot of local RC car and go kart clubs are using Mylaps here in New Zealand as well. We're gonna try and hook up with one of them to see if we can use their gear to do a trial.

@ Rickard thanks, Damian and I are in the same club in NZ working on this together.

Subject: RC Scoring Pro Inquiry

My question to Douglas Hay at RCScoring Pro---Will it work with RADIO CONTROL NITRO BOAT RACING...around water? Will the loop work under the water or over the water?

Not sure. I doubt it would work under water. You could place the loop above water, but what if the boat hits a wave and hits the wires? The wires could be about 2’ above the water and still work.

Douglas Hay

http://www.RCScoringPro.com

We now sell MyLaps Decoders and Transponders!

Will it work with RADIO CONTROL NITRO BOAT RACING...around water? Will the loop work under the water or over the water?

Not sure. I doubt it would work under water. You could place the loop above water, but what if the boat hits a wave and hits the wires? The wires could be about 2’ above the water and still work.

Douglas Hay

IMPBA used it about 15 years ago. back before personal transponders were around.

loop over water.

if loop broken had to be restrung.

Yes will work 2 ft over water

Best to have two retreive boats ( 123 side and 456 side ) if using the system as the wires make a no go zone

Will it work with RADIO CONTROL NITRO BOAT RACING...around water? Will the loop work under the water or over the water?

Douglas Hay

IMPBA used it about 15 years ago. back before personal transponders were around.

loop over water.

if loop broken had to be restrung.

Yes will work 2 ft over water

Best to have two retreive boats ( 123 side and 456 side ) if using the system as the wires make a no go zone
Yes I know all about that 15 year old story..I'm just doing research of today..2012

I forgot to mention that this system uses very low frequency therefore very good response and also the transponder is the size of your thumb nail and only costs $35.00. The only downfall is the receiver and hookup costs around $2500. think of the advantage doing time trials...And yes I will keep you in the loop.

Our club has been looking at using this system for a couple of years now. The pick-up loop is the major problem with using the transponders. It has been used underwater for jet ski racing, but their's is in a pvc tube floating on the surface. Because the jet ski's use a pump, there is no rudder, prop, turn fin to deal with. You could string it over the startline, but then you have to deal with possible boats hitting it. The personal transponders will pick up at quite a distance. I race 1/12 scale over the winter, and I heald my car over my head and it still picked it up. We have also purchased RC Scoring Pro software which can be adapted to boat racing format.

The next possible solution is RFID tags. They are cheap, but the downfall is the speed of the boats. I don't think they would pick up a boat going over 70 mph.

Yes....it is 2012. And we need to step forward. It would take a large investment to even try this system. I hope someone does.

Back